2008 Vibe Vs. Newer Model

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
melriv

2008 Vibe Vs. Newer Model

Post by melriv »

I've got a 2008 base model with just under 140k miles on it. I've recently starting moonlighting as an Uber/Lyft driver so my mileage is about to skyrocket over the coming months/years. I picked this car cause of the builtin structure for a roof rack and decidedly better body than the Matrix in my opinion. Was playing with the possible idea of selling this and getting the newer models, which of course loses that roof rack built in and correct me if I'm wrong but seems quite a bit smaller overall? What are the pro's con's here, should I just ride this puppy into the ground with the usual maintenance or what do you all think? I know a few of you crazy bastards have multiple Vibe's so please let me know!
vibrologist

Re: 2008 Vibe Vs. Newer Model

Post by vibrologist »

Here is a good thread for you: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40003

I am not sure why you have the impression that Gen2 turned out smaller than Gen1. They are on the same platform.

Should you go for a newer Vibe because your mileage will increase dramatically? Probably not. These Vibes can run up huge miles without major trouble. Getting a fresher car for the Lyft service would defeat the purpose of maximizing profits. That's true if your vibe is in good shape and does not require any repairs to qualify as a Lyft vehicle.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
melriv

Post by melriv »

I've had some bad luck with my cars of past, however it seems I've found a winner in this car with nothing but typical repairs to this point so that was my question really, I agree likely better to keep on keeping on with my current setup instead of forking out more money.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

If money is even an issue, I think you would be crazy to abandon a well documented, reliable 200,000 - 300,000 mile car. If money wasn't an issue and you wanted to have a vehicle that is just as reliable but a better quality ride for you, the driver, I'd steer you towards the second generation Vibe. In this case however, I think you should just keep pocking the cash and enjoy.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I agree, just keep doing what you've been doing (keeping up on maintenance and driving it!). "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;)
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage