Password recovery

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vibrologist

Password recovery

Post by vibrologist »

Gals and guys:
I have a problem. I lost my password. I had to replace my home computer and tried to log in with my new one. It did not recognize me, so I tried with a variation of my password, obviously I don't remember it.
Now I can only post from my work computer. I will try to reset my password on this work computer. However, the reset procedure requires me to remember my original password. :x :?
Really? If I don't recall that old password I have to start over under a new screen name? Please say it isn't so.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Re: Password recovery

Post by ColonelPanic »

vibrologist wrote:However, the reset procedure requires me to remember my original password. :x :?
Really?
Well, if a site allowed you to reset your password from a previously logged in session without reauthenticating, it would also let anyone else who has access to your computer do the same. Not the best thing for security. ;)

Have you tried the admin contact option that is offered after a failed login?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Yeah this whole password lifestyle that has consumed most all of us this past decade & then some, can become a nightmare! The few popular sites that I visit frequently I make sure I manually type in passwords. If I didn't and relied on the "auto login feature" then I too would be forgetful and in the same boat you're in. Somewhere, if I could even find them, I have them written down so that I could retrieve them that way also. Eat/drink some brain food and maybe they'll come back :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

On the computer where it auto logs you in,
- in the upper right where it shows your username and a tiny version of your avatar, click on your username and select User Control Panel
- In the control Panel, select the Profile tab
- In the Profile tab, select Edit account settings on the left
- Verify that it shows the correct email address, or, to puyt it another way, see which of your email addresses genvibe has on record for you

If it shows an email address that you can no longer access, change it to one you can still access. I think you'll get an email at the new one possibly with steps to confirm that its valid.

On the new computer where you are not logged in,
- Click Login
- On the Login screen, under the username and password fields, click "I forgot my password"
- Enter your username, and the email address genvibe has for that username (determined above)

You should get an email telling you what to do next. I haven't done it myself, but I expect the email will give you a new and possibly temporary password that you can then use to log in and change your password to something you'll remember

doing the forgot password thing may change your password, so you wouldn't be able to auto login from the work computer, so its critical to first verify that the email address genvibe has for you is one you can access. This bit me once years ago
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I use Chrome and I can display the remembered password in the advanced setting. I believe you can do the same thing in other browsers.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thanks guys! I am back in business.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476