New Member 2009 Vibe AWD

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jossmi07

New Member 2009 Vibe AWD

Post by jossmi07 »

Hello, all. My name is Joshua and I am a proud owner of the 2009 Vibe AWD (Silver Platinum Metallic) My mother bought my car for me brand new as a graduation present... She thought it wouldn't last me all but maybe 2 years and thought I would trade it in... Nope! I still have it to this day with 230,000 miles!!! I've spend a total of about 20 research hours on this website learning different things to do with the Vibe and different things that you can buy and install. I'm not interested with changing any of the mechanics under the hood because I don't want to screw with the gas milage or anything major. I never had any problems except for when I first had it the heat wouldn't work properly and come to find out I was on my way to school one morning the engine temp was all the way hot and the red light was on. So I pulled over and turned the car off and called onstar and it was taken to my local Pontiac dealer (when Pontiac was still alive *sad face*) and they said it was a faulty engine coolant block and had cracked. So it was at Pontiac for 2 weeks! But after I got it back it's never had any issues since... 8 years, I have had this car and nothing wrong besides that issue. Yes, I've had breaks new tires oil changes of course but nothing else... Oh! Also I had a tune up done last year. Is there anything else that should be done? I notice it vibrates a little more these days in drive (at a stop light) so maybe it's the engine mounts? Lot's of stuff I plan on doing to my car soon because I want HID head lights and new rims because my steele ones with the hub caps are rusted so bad it looks terrible now. Also I am having a new windshield installed in 2 weeks because I had a rock fly off a truck and hit it. Well, at this point I'm ranting so if anyone has any advice on what I should get or do please let me know! I want to hear all advice and new tricks too. Like getting a touch screen radio with Apple Play for example. Lol.
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA
MacGyver

Re: New Member 2009 Vibe AWD

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to the Genvibe club! I also have a 2009 and I have done many small upgrades, including a Pioneer touchscreen stereo. The hardest part was getting the brackets mounted in just the right place on both sides of the deck so it sits correctly in the dash without rubbing.

More info in here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45247
2009 Vibe Base
mysteriousem

Post by mysteriousem »

Welcome to the forum! :D I'm pretty new here myself... Isn't it a great place?

I also have a 2009, but it's not AWD. Mine is at around 101k, and I've also noticed a bit of a vibration like what you're describing. I replaced the belt, and I've been gradually going through the various maintenance things that were neglected by the previous owner (some of which aren't in the manual, it turns out), and I've noticed that the vibration does seem to be a little better, but it's definitely still there. I cleaned the throttle body last night but I haven't driven it yet, so I'll be interested to see if it runs smoother after that.

Did you get a list from the shop of what the tune-up included? It's such a vague term, I've never really found anyone who could give me a satisfactory definition of what a 'tune-up' actually should entail.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if you figure out what's causing it. :) I've done pretty much everything except the valve clearance and checking the engine mounts at this point, but I haven't bothered with the engine mounts because I have more pressing issues at the moment (like fixing the brakes that have been weird ever since the shop messed with them). :roll:
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Hello and welcome, Joshua. Glad your car has lasted you so long and brought you joy. The vibration you speak of could very well be caused by some janky motor mounts. You can go stock, (which it sounds like you would like the most) or you can go with a stiffer aftermarket mount. These will let more NVH through than new, softer mounts, but will increase the quality of your shifting (oops, maybe not so much since it's an auto), and will increase your ability to put the power down coming out of corners.

Installing some in car entertainment is not a mountain a to climb. Find a reputable source to help you out if you need it and keep in mind that almost everything these days is plug and play. Hell, most of the parts on the Vibe you'll need to remove are as simple as those crappy, (becuz they're too easy :D ), SnapTite toy models from back in the day! haha

For me, tune up would consists of checks on each things listed and then a replacement/addition if needed.
-run codes (just cuz your engine light isn't on doesn't mean you don't have stored codes)
-engine filter
-cabin filter
-plug wires
-plugs
-throttle body cleaning
-check ALL fluids: coolant, engine oil, diff, transmission, brakes, power steering - might as well check that ww fluid while you're at it. ;)
-check vacuum hoses
-brake pads
-proper tire wear
-make sure vents in front of windshield are clear of debris

That's the quick one. Of course, there are more things to really dig into like the vvt oil screens, etc. But that's really more of a bigger maintenance item than your general quick tune up. Either way, the things above, of which I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, are easily accomplished with a little confidence and a blood alcohol level within reason.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
jossmi07

Post by jossmi07 »

MacGyver wrote:Welcome to the Genvibe club! I also have a 2009 and I have done many small upgrades, including a Pioneer touchscreen stereo. The hardest part was getting the brackets mounted in just the right place on both sides of the deck so it sits correctly in the dash without rubbing.

More info in here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45247
You did an awesome job on yours! I'll fly you to Missouri and you can come do that to mine! Hahaha :lol: Sometimes this blonde needs step by step instructions on how to do things ;)
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA
jossmi07

Post by jossmi07 »

mysteriousem wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D I'm pretty new here myself... Isn't it a great place?

I also have a 2009, but it's not AWD. Mine is at around 101k, and I've also noticed a bit of a vibration like what you're describing. I replaced the belt, and I've been gradually going through the various maintenance things that were neglected by the previous owner (some of which aren't in the manual, it turns out), and I've noticed that the vibration does seem to be a little better, but it's definitely still there. I cleaned the throttle body last night but I haven't driven it yet, so I'll be interested to see if it runs smoother after that.

Did you get a list from the shop of what the tune-up included? It's such a vague term, I've never really found anyone who could give me a satisfactory definition of what a 'tune-up' actually should entail.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if you figure out what's causing it. :) I've done pretty much everything except the valve clearance and checking the engine mounts at this point, but I haven't bothered with the engine mounts because I have more pressing issues at the moment (like fixing the brakes that have been weird ever since the shop messed with them). :roll:
Thank you! This is an AWESOME place!

Let me know if cleaning the throttle helps with the vibration. Mine is subtle, yet still annoying. I've been the only owner with mine as you know, and I've noticed some differences over the years with the way acceleration and response times handle as well when kicking her in (don't do that much now because she's got age now and I'm babying her).

When Toyota did the tune up they mention that the engine mounts where fine at the time but that was a year ago. Toyota replaced the spark plugs and wiring as well. I'm not that smart on how to do that kind of car stuff so I need a mechanic for that.

I had problems with my breaks as you where describing when I had a "Hole in the wall" mechanic re-do my brakes when I got new ones. Always happened when I was doing 75 - 80 mph slowing down but never at lower speeds. Had Toyota re-do them and tested it out and it braked like it did the day I drove it home brand new. Maybe try taking it to your local Toyota dealer and have them look at it? I always had good luck at my local dealer. They always gave me good deals too on the work they did. Didn't cost me to much.
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA
jossmi07

Post by jossmi07 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Hello and welcome, Joshua. Glad your car has lasted you so long and brought you joy. The vibration you speak of could very well be caused by some janky motor mounts. You can go stock, (which it sounds like you would like the most) or you can go with a stiffer aftermarket mount. These will let more NVH through than new, softer mounts, but will increase the quality of your shifting (oops, maybe not so much since it's an auto), and will increase your ability to put the power down coming out of corners.

Installing some in car entertainment is not a mountain a to climb. Find a reputable source to help you out if you need it and keep in mind that almost everything these days is plug and play. Hell, most of the parts on the Vibe you'll need to remove are as simple as those crappy, (becuz they're too easy :D ), SnapTite toy models from back in the day! haha

For me, tune up would consists of checks on each things listed and then a replacement/addition if needed.
-run codes (just cuz your engine light isn't on doesn't mean you don't have stored codes)
-engine filter
-cabin filter
-plug wires
-plugs
-throttle body cleaning
-check ALL fluids: coolant, engine oil, diff, transmission, brakes, power steering - might as well check that ww fluid while you're at it. ;)
-check vacuum hoses
-brake pads
-proper tire wear
-make sure vents in front of windshield are clear of debris

That's the quick one. Of course, there are more things to really dig into like the vvt oil screens, etc. But that's really more of a bigger maintenance item than your general quick tune up. Either way, the things above, of which I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, are easily accomplished with a little confidence and a blood alcohol level within reason.
Thank you for all that wonderful advice and for the warm welcome! I'm so happy there is a community on the web that people are as crazy about their Vibe as much as I am! I even joined the FB page :) What type of oil do you recommend? I've been using Castrol Titanium High Millage in mine. She consumes oil more in her old days so I'm having to buy a quart every 2 weeks and put it in.
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA
JetBlack

Post by JetBlack »

I am also keen about the noise solution, Jet Black is making now odd vibrations at the stop light like he is about to stall. Hitting RPM as low as 500~ I've been working really hard to have this solved. I too would appreciate input. I'd like to add that I do have a confirmed P0171 going on.
Join the VibeTribe on Drive Tribe https://drivetribe.com/t/LGVEe7TeQceVCW ... rTPsS40_rQ
2009 Vibe 2.4l Premium Package w/ Roof Rails
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, jossmi07.
Of course you will have to go through the initiation ritual here. It has something to do with tar and feathers ;) . Actually, we will let you pass on that if you set up your signature with your Vibe's data and your location (hint: you might have a neighbor on this forum), and if you post a picture (j-peg no more than roughly 125 kb).
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

At JetBlack:
I'd like to add that I do have a confirmed P0171 going on.
That means you have a confirmed vacuum leak. That is often caused by the intake manifold gasket. Find and fix your vacuum leak first. Most likely your idle will improve with that.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
mysteriousem

Post by mysteriousem »

jossmi07 wrote:
Let me know if cleaning the throttle helps with the vibration. Mine is subtle, yet still annoying. I've been the only owner with mine as you know, and I've noticed some differences over the years with the way acceleration and response times handle as well when kicking her in (don't do that much now because she's got age now and I'm babying her).

When Toyota did the tune up they mention that the engine mounts where fine at the time but that was a year ago. Toyota replaced the spark plugs and wiring as well. I'm not that smart on how to do that kind of car stuff so I need a mechanic for that.

I had problems with my breaks as you where describing when I had a "Hole in the wall" mechanic re-do my brakes when I got new ones. Always happened when I was doing 75 - 80 mph slowing down but never at lower speeds. Had Toyota re-do them and tested it out and it braked like it did the day I drove it home brand new. Maybe try taking it to your local Toyota dealer and have them look at it? I always had good luck at my local dealer. They always gave me good deals too on the work they did. Didn't cost me to much.
I took it out yesterday and it looks like the vibration has lessened, if not entirely disappeared. It's also idling at much lower RPMs (around 700 now, instead of the 1100 it was idling at before I did all my work). There's still a noticeable 'hum' that occasionally gets a little stronger, but I think that's probably normal. There are a few other little bits and bobs I'll probably be tinkering with over time, but for now I'm pretty pleased with the result.

As for the brakes, I'll probably just do them myself. I used to do them on my old Astro van and I was also happier with the result than when I let someone else do it. The Vibe's brakes can't possibly be more difficult than the Astro van was. (On the Astro I actually had to get friendly neighbors to help me loosen the bolts on the calipers because my whole 170 pounds sitting on the wrench still wasn't enough to get them loose!)

Edit for clarification: It was idling at 1100 before I changed transmission fluid, belt, etc. But before I cleaned the throttle body, it was idling at around 900, so it definitely did something!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Joshua. Keep this Vibe till the wheels fall off. You're half way to a half-million miles :D Nice mom you got there ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jossmi07

Post by jossmi07 »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Joshua. Keep this Vibe till the wheels fall off. You're half way to a half-million miles :D Nice mom you got there ;)
I will never get rid of her! Me and Jewlz have been through A LOT together, there's not any other vehicle on the planet that could replace her. Haha

Oh, yeah... Mom is pretty great too! Lol
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Josh! This is Carrie from FB! It's great to have another member join who's so in love with their Vibe! Too many owners just don't fully appreciate and / or acknowledge just how awesome their Vibe is. I see you're in MO, you should join us in KY in June for the GenVibe meet. It's always a great time!

Regarding the stock wheels, you could always put a fresh coat of paint on them to get rid of the rust and make them look better while you save for different ones. Since they're steel, they're super easy to paint. Just scuff them up a bit, clean them and use some Rustoleum. They'll look brand new.

The most important piece of information to keep in mind when wheel shopping is that the bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

Regarding HIDs in the headlights, not a good idea. The Vibe has halogen headlight housings which don't do well with HIDs (too much glare, blinding for oncoming drivers, straining for your eyes, etc.). Hands down the best bulbs you can get for your 09-10 Vibe are Vosla HIR2 +30 bulbs for the low beams (only available through GM) and Philips HIR1 bulbs for the high beams. These bulbs will provide the most light without blinding oncoming drivers or straining your own eyes. These bulbs do need to be "modified" slightly but it's very easy to do. It only requires a slight trimming of the plastic on the bulbs. We have been using these bulbs in both our Vibes for about a year now and they are by far the best. We've used SilverStars and HIDs in the past and they don't compare at all to the current setup of the Voslas and Philips.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jossmi07

Post by jossmi07 »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Josh! This is Carrie from FB! It's great to have another member join who's so in love with their Vibe! Too many owners just don't fully appreciate and / or acknowledge just how awesome their Vibe is. I see you're in MO, you should join us in KY in June for the GenVibe meet. It's always a great time!

Regarding the stock wheels, you could always put a fresh coat of paint on them to get rid of the rust and make them look better while you save for different ones. Since they're steel, they're super easy to paint. Just scuff them up a bit, clean them and use some Rustoleum. They'll look brand new.

The most important piece of information to keep in mind when wheel shopping is that the bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

Regarding HIDs in the headlights, not a good idea. The Vibe has halogen headlight housings which don't do well with HIDs (too much glare, blinding for oncoming drivers, straining for your eyes, etc.). Hands down the best bulbs you can get for your 09-10 Vibe are Vosla HIR2 +30 bulbs for the low beams (only available through GM) and Philips HIR1 bulbs for the high beams. These bulbs will provide the most light without blinding oncoming drivers or straining your own eyes. These bulbs do need to be "modified" slightly but it's very easy to do. It only requires a slight trimming of the plastic on the bulbs. We have been using these bulbs in both our Vibes for about a year now and they are by far the best. We've used SilverStars and HIDs in the past and they don't compare at all to the current setup of the Voslas and Philips.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything.
Hey there, Carrie! Nice to see you on here! :) I currently have the SilverStar Ultra's in now! I will definitely look into those options you listed (most likely get them, only want the best for Jewlz!)

I will definitely paint the steele wheels and buy new caps. They are scratched soooo bad from when I was younger and curbed everything lol.

I would love to meet up at the GenVibe meet! That would be so awesome! She will fit right in and be with her sisters hahahaha.
Joshua Smith
2009 Vibe AWD
Springfield, Mo USA