New forum member

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
dbbspider

New forum member

Post by dbbspider »

I recently purchased an 04 Vibe (base) as a daily driver to replace my 02 Chevy prizm 5 speed. I got the seller down to $2400 cuz it had CEL w P0420. Here's what I did so far:
- new cat converter
- new valve cover and throttle body gaskets
- new spark plugs (NGK)
- new pcv
- change motor oil and filter
- replace tranny pan cover w one from local pick a part (old one had a stripped drain bolt)
- replaced tranny fluid, filter & gasket
- replace PS fluid
- flushed brake fluid
- flushed cooling system and filled w 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water
- degrease & washed engine compartment
- washed / waxed exterior
-2 new front tires
- 3m window tint
- new wiper blades
- removed interior seats and carpet, sound deaden the floors
- sound deaden the front doors, new front speakers/tweeters
- replaced stock radio w a pioneer w Bluetooth (need it for work)
-installed amp and 10" sub woofer
- replaced blend door actuator (old one was broke)
- shampoo'd the interior carpet and floor mats
- shampoo'd all seats
- detail cleaned the interior
- found a cargo cover at the local pick a part

It passed CA smog and is running smooth. The air and cabin filters were still plenty good so I didn't replace them.

To do in the near future:
- new front brakes / rotors
- install rubber cargo mat
- patch the holes in the plastic wheel wells from tire rub
- sand and polish the headlights as they are badly sun faded

I got better mpg in the prizm but there's a ton more space in the vibe, which I need for work.

vibrologist

Re: New forum member

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, dbbspyder!
What an entry, even with a picture! Kudos for all the work you have done. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted with the progress you are making!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
korax234

Post by korax234 »

What sound deadening you use? And how much did it help. The car isn't real noisy but I drive a lot on the highway and this might be nice to do.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

wow, that is quite a list of accomplishments to bring this car up to full health. I find it funny that you have owned back to back Corollas without ever having a Corolla badge on the outside. Two pieces of advice:

1. get the Dexcool out immediately and switch over to Xerex Asian, or similar Toyota non silicate, non borate formula. It is what is meant for that car/radiator.
2. buy a dash cam to record all the CA nutjobs on the road who would do harm to your beautiful Vibe. It took only a short time living here to realize a camera is essential in this lawless state.

Welcome to the forum, and again, thanks for taking care of one of our own.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Congrats on the purchase and looking forward to further updates.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
dbbspider

Post by dbbspider »

korax234 wrote:What sound deadening you use? And how much did it help. The car isn't real noisy but I drive a lot on the highway and this might be nice to do.
I used a mix of left overs from previous jobs. Thermo tech, frost king, home depot rubber and vinyl mats, ensolite, 3mm foam padding, carpet padding. I couldn't say that it's more quite inside, but it really helps w rattles, hollow sounds, etc while driving. The entire car sounds soild, so to say. There is still wind noise coming from the windows, etc. But it's worth it to me to sound deaden.
dbbspider

Post by dbbspider »

Caretaker wrote:wow, that is quite a list of accomplishments to bring this car up to full health. I find it funny that you have owned back to back Corollas without ever having a Corolla badge on the outside. Two pieces of advice:

1. get the Dexcool out immediately and switch over to Xerex Asian, or similar Toyota non silicate, non borate formula. It is what is meant for that car/radiator.
2. buy a dash cam to record all the CA nutjobs on the road who would do harm to your beautiful Vibe. It took only a short time living here to realize a camera is essential in this lawless state.

Welcome to the forum, and again, thanks for taking care of one of our own.
When I bought the prizm, I was looking for a corolla but the prizm were a ton cheaper, just cuz it said Chevy on it. That's why I bough it. Same w the vibe, was looking for a matrix but it was more expensive.
I used Dexcool in my old prizm (same as corolla) and never had a problem, it ran perfect even driving from CA to AZ and back in summer. Had some left over so I used it in the vibe. I'm not really worried about using Dexcool.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Welcome to the forum. The car looks beautiful.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Nice color and nice price. You'll get lots of miles out of this beauty ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome. Looks like you're off to a good start!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Huge props on a great first post! That is certainly a sharp looking Salsa you've got there :cool:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Perfect looking 1st gen Salsa Vibe IMO. Right color, best wheels, tint and in good looking condition.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car