Thinking about upgrading to newer model vibe. Any input is appreciated.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
woodworker

Thinking about upgrading to newer model vibe. Any input is appreciated.

Post by woodworker »

I have an 04 base Vibe which I love, but it's got 194K miles on it, so wondering if I should get a Gen 2. Maybe an 09 or 10. Are there a'ny problems I should know about with the Gen 2? I'm only interested in reliability, not worried about performance (snow, back window, etc.) Just want it to run when it's supposed to. I've researched the site and don't see any significant problems, but wanted to ask to be sure.

Sure wish they still made them. I've been so happy with my 04, never any problems and it doesn't use any oil to speak of (I use Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage, btw). It just concerns me when we go on a trip, I'm always concerned because of the high miles, so seems like getting a newer one would be a good solution if they're as good as the older models. Any input is greatly appreciated.
BenWA

Re: Thinking about upgrading to newer model vibe. Any input is appreciated.

Post by BenWA »

You are better off saving your money until this one starts to ail. Then if you're on a trip and it starts to kick the bucket, the you can always buy another along the way!

I just had my 03 Vibe's coolant flushed at just over 150k miles. I had the transmission serviced right after I bought it last December, at about 143k miles. It shows no signs of ailing in any way.

I drove a Geo Metro with a blown head gasket about 4500 miles within 2 weeks in late spring/early summer 2015, with a recently rebuilt trans that had died suddenly one day here at home. But to be fair, it had almost 200k miles on the tiny 3 speed A/T. It had been showing signs of ailing, by delaying shifting into 1st from park/neutral, so it wasn't like it was out of the blue. The trans was showing signs of a problem since I bought it.

But back the long trip....
I had to stop every couple hundred miles to add coolant and oil. On the way back, it also had a really bad wheel bearing on the rear. I didn't realize HOW bad until I got home and took it apart. I had some suspicion based on the horrid noise it was making, however. There must have been a lucky horseshoe hiding in that car someplace.

I guess I live dangerously. It still got 30+mpg hwy though, it just cost me extra in oil and coolant. It got me there and back, just delayed by frequent stops and constant fluid refills. So yeah, even a badly ailing car can sometimes last long enough to get you where you need to go, depending on the problem.

Considering Vibes are hitting the 299,999 odometer limit, frankly I wouldn't worry. Get the car's fluids properly serviced and there should be no huge problems. That's the biggest killer of cars, not maintaining them, "because it costs". Since these cars are commonly known to live to 300k+ with proper maintenance, 200k isn't REALLY that big of a deal. If we were talking 200k on a Geo Metro, then you better be ready to rebuild the engine and transmission.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
dgodwin

Post by dgodwin »

I just did a similar upgrade going from a 2003 Vibe to a 2009 2.4l base model and couldn't be happier. Going from 155,000 miles down to 60,400 was worth it. I've had the new vibe for 3 days though. As long as your 2004 is reliable don't rush into anything. I hopped on the 2009 because it was a good deal. Only issue is the radio volume knob. I had been shopping for a Vibe, Matrix, or a Mazda5 for about 2 months.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

dgodwin wrote:Going from 155,000 miles down to 60,400 was worth it.
It's a placebo effect if both cars are in equal running condition. A 60k car can break down as much as a 155k car, under the right conditions.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

BenWA wrote:
dgodwin wrote:Going from 155,000 miles down to 60,400 was worth it.
It's a placebo effect if both cars are in equal running condition. A 60k car can break down as much as a 155k car, under the right conditions.
I agree. The reliability is meaningful when a large number of samples are considered. For a single car, the reliability relies on proper maintenance.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Yep. However.... my mom didn't do full and proper maintenance on her 1991 Corolla and it had a water pump failure around 2000 if I recall right. (Well, I doubt the "radiator stop leak" she used helped much either.) The engine had overheated but it wasn't bad enough to hurt it. It cost a lot to have done though. She had it done at a dealer, which probably didn't help.

But, it was still going in 2010 when I traded it off to a dealer when I bought a used F150. It had been hit on the passenger side and I had already been paid about $1300 cash and kept the car since it still drove fine. It was at about 168k miles. .

She never stuck to any routine maintenance beyond oil changes, honestly. But these cars are hard to kill. The "best" ways are running out of oil or a really bad overheat. As long as you keep those in good condition and flowing, there's little else to have go wrong on these things, especially the FWD ones.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

OP:

1. run your current Vibe into the ground. It has no value to anyone else but you at this point. If the engine and transmission are running fine, I'd keep it 'till smoke comes out the vents.
2. yes, buy a 2nd generation Vibe or Matrix when the time comes. It is a better car than the first generation and it ages (wear and tear on the body/seats) a WHOLE lot better than the first gen.

Remember, the Vibe ended in 2010, but the Matrix went on through 2013. There will be plenty to choose from when the time comes.
Reliability??? Consumer Reports didn't have a picture of the second generation Vibe in their best used cars section for the past 2 years for nothing.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I can't speak for the 2nd generation. I have never been as confident in a car as I am in my Gen1 Vibe Base. Get the odometer reading out of your mind. As long as you change the fluids and it does not get major rust I don't see a reason to get a newer car.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Gen2 with the 2.4L engine has a bad rap for eating oil at excessive rates. Toyota has acknowledged the problem, but GM has not. So either stick with the 1.8L or take a gamble with the 2.4L and know if it goes bad you have no recourse other than to keep adding oil every 1000 miles.
2009 Vibe Base
korax234

Post by korax234 »

I would look into Scion TC forums to see the reliability of that drivetrain since it was the same engine and trans. Their is a lot more
TC's out their then Vibe's.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

Thanks for all the good input, especially the info about the 2.4L Gen 2 engine, which I wasn't aware of. The 1.8 works fine for me, so if I do upgrade I'll be sure to stay clear of the 2.4. Any other issues with the Gen 2 that haven't been mentioned?