I dropped a screwdriver into the intake

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
petervivian

I dropped a screwdriver into the intake

Post by petervivian »

Hello, everyone. Happy holiday!

Today I accidentally dropped a screwdriver into the intake manifold. :D

My original plan was just to clean and re-oil the filter, clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. I inserted a screwdriver UNDER the throttle plate and went to get the cleaner. When I came back the screwdriver is gone. It must have fallen into the intake.

Now I have to remove the intake manifold to pull the screwdriver out, right? I also have to change the gasket during the removal since it is still the original one, right?

By the way, where can I get a quality gasket at a good price?

Thank you and happy holiday.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Derf

Re: I dropped a screwdriver into the intake

Post by Derf »

Unless you can get to the screwdriver with a magnet. The intake is not that hard to remove, several write ups on this forum. Feedback is the Toyota Matrix gasket is better (orange color) Part for 2003-2008 Base, GT uses a different gasket.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 62&jsn=648

Otherwise this gasket fits OEM
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 59&jsn=463

Replacing the intake gasket can be thought of as preventative maintenance. Several higher mileage vibes have reported an intake gasket leak that leads to lean engine codes.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Same thing I was thinking, magnet. Either one of the various magnet tools or a good magnet on a string... a strong string. haha

And since you didn't see the screwdriver fall in, are you absolutely sure it didn't fall and wedge itself elsewhere or somebody else didn't screw with it?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:Same thing I was thinking, magnet. Either one of the various magnet tools or a good magnet on a string... a strong string. haha

And since you didn't see the screwdriver fall in, are you absolutely sure it didn't fall and wedge itself elsewhere or somebody else didn't screw with it?

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
This is a far more likely scenario, unless the screwdriver was very small the majority of its weight would have been outside of the hole it was in. Take a flashlight and look carefully before removing the intake. However, the intake gasket is a good idea to replace anyway if you have a few miles on it.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Thank you for the replies. I was able to get the scredriver out with a magnetic pick tool.
The screwdriver is not very small. I am suprised it did slide down the intake (that leads to the 2nd piston?).
After lying in the intake for one day, some oil ate into the clear plastic handle and turned it to brown color (see picture).
What might be cause of the oil in the intake manifold?
Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Derf

Post by Derf »

Stuck or failing PCV valve could let oil into the intake.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I agree with Derf. It also most certainly means that the intake manifold gasket is bad or going bad.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476