My 2008 Vibe keeps frying right front wheel bearings!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
randy7751

My 2008 Vibe keeps frying right front wheel bearings!

Post by randy7751 »

Last replacement ( 3rd wheel bearing in 6 months) done on Monday fried after only 300 miles. What's going on?
jayoldschool

Re: My 2008 Vibe keeps frying right front wheel bearings!

Post by jayoldschool »

I'll guess either cheap Chinese bearing or improper torque on axle nut... or both.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

What is your milage? As far as Iv'e heard wheel bearings are not usually an issue with Vibes. You should get 175K or better under most instances unless you drive in a rough environment. Another thing to consider is ball joints, tie rod ends, or install of new bearing was done incorrect. worn front end components and improper seating of the bearing race on install can cause failure.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Here is a you tube video, definitely shade tree mechanic and low tech but the install from what I could see was done properly.
https://youtu.be/oeKGxTjJXlQ
bams50

Post by bams50 »

I had the same problem with my 2004 just this year. May be a couple hundred miles out of a wheel bearing. The problem turned out to be a slightly bent home. No vibration or anything, but it was a very slight run out. Put in a new wheel bearing with the new hub and it's been OK for over 1000 miles now.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

bams50 wrote:I had the same problem with my 2004 just this year. May be a couple hundred miles out of a wheel bearing. The problem turned out to be a slightly bent home. No vibration or anything, but it was a very slight run out. Put in a new wheel bearing with the new hub and it's been OK for over 1000 miles now.
That was my guess. If the install was done right and the bearing fails then the spindle must be damaged in some way.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476