How does a Subaru AWD differ then a Vibe AWD?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pointbob

How does a Subaru AWD differ then a Vibe AWD?

Post by pointbob »

People tell me subaru AWD is better. Like it's on always...true?
BenWA

Re: How does a Subaru AWD differ then a Vibe AWD?

Post by BenWA »

The 4cyls in the late 90s-early 2000s have head gasket problems, at least on the Outback. They blow no matter what, it seems. It's super expensive to repair, too. The 6cyls don't have that problem. I considered a 6cyl Outback before I found the Matrix/Vibe.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Owim

Post by Owim »

IDK about the subaru AWD but I'm pretty sure the vibe's AWD is only on when the car thinks it needs it(senses a tire slipping) Outback is a good car, just much more expensive.
2009 2.4 AWD
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Subaru's awd system is an "always on" system. An equal amount of power is sent to all four wheels. Most Subarus are lacking proper diffs, but this system is still superior imo, though not as efficient, as the Vibe's awd. The Vibe's awd system first needs a wheel to slip before reacting. In the meantime, it's a fwd vehicle w/fwd characteristics and efficiency. The Subaru awd system, excluding the STi's awd system, is a brute force approach in a sense. It is not as good as the RAV awd system, for example, in most situations.

I won't get into all the specifics here, but suffice to say, there are a huge number of differences between each manufacturer's systems and even among their own cars, the systems may vary wildly. Also, try not to get caught up too much in any youtube video examples. They're often very biased since the manufacturer or dealer or superfan has produced them.

If you have any other questions, I can do my best to answer them later.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
WMBigs

Post by WMBigs »

I don't have a clue about the Subaru, but here is a link for the Vibe that was shared with me.

http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

Select "Reference Mode", then, under the "4WD Basics" tab, select "Full-time 4WD".

Next, select ">How does a Full-time 4WD system work?"

Click on the 4th group with the Matrix in it.

Click on the link for "Electro-magnetic Coupler (RAV4/Matrix)"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I recall seeing that link a long time ago. Very helpful for those who want to learn the basics. Of course, some of their systems and software have changed and improved, but it's still a very good teaching implement.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

When I was debating what shop to take my Vibe to for a coolant flush (decided on a highly Yelp rated Toyota dealer 22 miles away, going Monday morning), I realized how many indie Subaru-only repair shops there are within 20 miles of me. They must be overly complex for an Asian make.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Where do you live? Anywhere north and it may be due to simple popularity of older and/or newer Subarus. They are a far more popular make in Ohio than Texas, for example.
ImageImageImage
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Yeah I am in the PNW where they are highly sought after. I considered one myself but they were a bit outside my budget. Just as well, I like my Vibe.
2003 Vibe Base A/T