starting issue

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
toddyb

starting issue

Post by toddyb »

I have a 2002 Vibe GT that just turned over 200,000 miles. it has been a great reliable car with no issues. the other day I started it and one headlight was out, so I promptly shut it off and took the other car. I fixed the headlight that evening and went to start it. It turned over, but sounded erratic, and tried to star but wouldn't. I am concerned that it may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain, but obviously am not sure. I don't want to damage the motor by trying to start it and I don't want to tear into the motor if I don't have to. Can anyone help me with this?
BenWA

Re: starting issue

Post by BenWA »

How's the battery? Take it out and get it checked. Cars can sound horrible when trying to start with a low battery. They can make awful grinding sounds due to the starter not engaging properly.

It could also the be starter itself. This video is a Buick, but all cars are pretty much the same in how they start. They can make similar noises under the right (or wrong) circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUglkXAoec

Always check the easiest stuff first before assuming the worst. A shop should able to check the timing chain alignment between the upper and lower pullies by just pulling the valve cover and aligning the crankshaft pulley, if you're that worried about it. Have it towed. A $50 tow is better than wrecking an engine, if it actually turns out to be a timing chain issue.

But I'd get the battery tested first. Failing that, check the starter. Or if you're convinced it's the timing chain, skip the starter and have it looked at by a mechanic before you try to start it again.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
toddyb

Re: starting issue

Post by toddyb »

toddyb wrote:I have a 2002 Vibe GT that just turned over 200,000 miles. it has been a great reliable car with no issues. the other day I started it and one headlight was out, so I promptly shut it off and took the other car. I fixed the headlight that evening and went to start it. It turned over, but sounded erratic, and tried to star but wouldn't. I am concerned that it may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain, but obviously am not sure. I don't want to damage the motor by trying to start it and I don't want to tear into the motor if I don't have to. Can anyone help me with this?
thank you I will get the battery checked add give it another try.

Both the battery and the alternator were good. I have no idea what the problem was, but the car is starting fine and running fine now???
Thank you for your help.