A couple of questions from new Vibe driver

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
clvrpl8

A couple of questions from new Vibe driver

Post by clvrpl8 »

OK, so new Vibe owner, love my new-to-me 2004 AWD, but a couple of things:

One thing I have noticed is there seems to be a fan sound I am hearing that seems a bit loud. I'm thinking it's the fan for the radiator, but it goes off immediately when I turn off the engine, so maybe it's the blower? I did have the blower on low at the time, but it seems too loud for a blower.

Other thing is the automatic transmission seems a bit loud - I do have the AWD. Now let me clarify, it does not sound wrong or anything like that, I can just hear it working. It shifts smoothly, no slipping - very effortless. Are these trannys just louder than what I'm used to with my Honda Accord?

Thanks in advance for your help - Mike
Caretaker

Re: A couple of questions from new Vibe driver

Post by Caretaker »

What you can expect from the first generation Vibe is a good amount of engine noise and road noise in the cabin. There are lots of reports of loose heat shields that will also produce what sounds like engine noise. There also is a good amount of tappet from the valves in the VVTi engine (Corolla) which increases the noise level. Since we are "blessed" with the very outdated Toyota 4 speed automatics, they tend to work hard to push these fairly heavy cars along. Make sure you keep the crank case full of oil since these engines are oil burners. Also do regular (60,000) mile transmission flushes on the transmission. If you don't know the car's history, do routine drain and fills with Toyota T-IV fluid. The good news is, these cars have certainly proven their worth over time, and mechanic breakdowns are few.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Caretaker wrote:What you can expect from the first generation Vibe is a good amount of engine noise and road noise in the cabin. There are lots of reports of loose heat shields that will also produce what sounds like engine noise. There also is a good amount of tappet from the valves in the VVTi engine (Corolla) which increases the noise level. Since we are "blessed" with the very outdated Toyota 4 speed automatics, they tend to work hard to push these fairly heavy cars along. Make sure you keep the crank case full of oil since these engines are oil burners. Also do regular (60,000) mile transmission flushes on the transmission. If you don't know the car's history, do routine drain and fills with Toyota T-IV fluid. The good news is, these cars have certainly proven their worth over time, and mechanic breakdowns are few.
My 03 with just over 150k doesn't burn oil, or does such a small amount as not to be noticeable on the dipstick. I'm using Mobile 1 High Mileage full synthetic 10w30. And yes, I do check it now and then. I seem to recall reading that the years prior to 2003 were more of oil burners.

The valves ARE noisy when cold, but then again they were my 91 Corolla with the 4A-FE engine too, so maybe it's just a characteristic of the Toyota 4cyls. Aside from that though, it's not by any means "noisy". Besides a slightly squeaky pulley at idle, but that's pretty common on a 13 year old car.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

When you say the transmission is noisy, does it make a noise like when a manual transmission is put in reverse? As you increase speed, the pitch rises from low to high, but it is most noticeable from 20-35 MPH?

Our AWD's have a rear differential that is often neglected by original owners and could be a source of the noise.

Otherwise, the transmission shouldn't make any noise. The engine, tires, and wind noise should be the only things you hear.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

clvrpl8 wrote:One thing I have noticed is there seems to be a fan sound I am hearing that seems a bit loud. I'm thinking it's the fan for the radiator, but it goes off immediately when I turn off the engine, so maybe it's the blower? I did have the blower on low at the time, but it seems too loud for a blower.
Check the cabin air filter door- it's behind the glove box, so you'll need to remove by squeezing the sides together and moving the counterweight (lower right side) out of the dashboard notch, then pulling up and out to disconnect the two plastic catches on the bottom. The tabs on the door break off easily and if it's open or missing, the blower will sound much louder than it should as the filter flaps around in the airflow.

clvrpl8

Post by clvrpl8 »

I think it is a matter of hearing it working hard as opposed to a noise.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

clvrpl8 wrote:2004 AWD with 248k. My question regarding fan noise, I'm now very sure it's the electric fan going on to cool the engine. The gauge is at normal when it happens but I get the slightest whiff of antifreeze (outside, not in the cabin). I also thought I saw a little liquid - did not look green, though - on the passenger side brace beneath the overflow bottle. I'm hoping that was just condensation from an AC line but not sure. I'm taking it in to be checked asap but any thoughts? Do the fans on 2004 AWD tend to go on normally or is this odd? It goes on after say ten or fifteen minutes driving but stops as soon as I turn engine off.
The radiator fan only goes on when the coolant temp is high enough to require it. Local driving, with stop and go or lower speeds, will heat the engine up quicker and will cause the fan to turn on sooner than highway driving with more airflow. Of course, outside air temp makes a difference, too.

With the age and mileage of the car, it's possible the fan needs to be replaced- they can wear out.
clvrpl8

Post by clvrpl8 »

Thanks so much!
Owim

Post by Owim »

The fan is very audible, but at least you know it's working.
2009 2.4 AWD