New 2009 GT owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
djan2000

New 2009 GT owner

Post by djan2000 »

Hi everyone,
A couple weeks ago we purchased a red 2009 Vibe GT with 93,000 miles - we love it! It was missing a few parts (jack and handles, cup holders, etc.). I was able to get some replacement parts at a salvage yard for cheap.
As I'm getting to know the Vibe better, I have a few questions...

-- The climate control knobs turn hard (the middle one (fan speed) turns easily), but the other two knobs seem to be difficult to turn; not "sticky", but just tough to turn. Is this normal? Or is there a way to make them turn easier?
-- Is there some type of cover for the cargo area that pulls over the hatch/trunk area to cover any "goods" that are put back there? I don't mean the hard cover over the spare tire area, but a soft cover that pulls over or covers the actual cargo area.
-- Is there something to hold the jack in it's place? It looks like there are a couple "hooks" molded into the plastic next to the jack holding spot, but I must be missing the part that goes into or around the hooks to hold the jack firmly in place (otherwise, you can hear the jack bounce around when going over bumps).
-- There are a few missing rivets that should be helping to hold the front bumper/fascia to the underside of the car. Can I purchase these somewhere, or use something else in their place?
-- Also, I noticed the front leading edge of the sunroof does not sit flush with the top of the car (no leaks noted, though). I pulled back the rubber around the front of the sunroof and it's very rusty, and the rusted metal is "swollen" and irregular from the rust. Is this something that can be fixed, or do I need to buy a whole new sunroof glass/metal trim setup to install?

Thanks for any advice, and I look forward to being part of the Vibe group! :)
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic
MrManager

Re: New 2009 GT owner

Post by MrManager »

Welome! post pics of your car when you can. I love the 09/10 GTs, especially red.
Is there some type of cover for the cargo area that pulls over the hatch/trunk area to cover any "goods" that are put back there? I don't mean the hard cover over the spare tire area, but a soft cover that pulls over or covers the actual cargo area.
Like a cargo shade? yes they have those, I've seen them on ebay, maybe someone might be selling one on here as well.
2009 Vibe GT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe ;) From a "TWO 09 GT " family you wont regret this purchase.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to GenVibe!

For the HVAC knobs, the right and left knobs are connected to control cables which tend to crack and kink over time. See here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44205

There is a basic cargo cover which is flexible and folds up just like a photography reflector. It's just enough to keep the contents of the trunk concealed from view. It's supposed to be in a small grey vinyl bag on top of the spare tire if your car came with one. I uploaded a pic of what it looks like in the deployed position.

There is another optional cover which is more rigid, foldable with black fabric, part 19171208 - I see one for sale on ebay. Like the shade in the pic, It clips onto the grocery bag hooks below the rear side window...
Attachments
2009-2013-Toyota-Matrix-Pontiac-Vibe-Cargo-Cover-Shade.jpg
2009-2013-Toyota-Matrix-Pontiac-Vibe-Cargo-Cover-Shade.jpg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
2009 Vibe Base
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

Thanks for welcoming me, and for the replies - I appreciate it! :D

No, my car did not come with a cargo/hatch cover. After I bought it, I realized it was stripped of everything in the "trunk" except the spare tire (it didn't even have the screw thing that holds the spare tire in place - which I was able to get from a salvage yard - yeah, no more rattling spare tire when going over bumps!).

I will have to take apart the center stack to look at the wires behind the climate control knobs to see if they need repaired/replaced, and see if that helps them turn easier. Is there a good thread or link to how to do this? I just don't want to break anything.

The only other thing we've noticed, is that a couple times the Vibe did not want to start right away. The engine turns over quite a few times before actually starting. It doesn't sound like the battery is low on juice, so not sure if it's something I can try to tackle, or if I should have a mechanic give it a once over (before the Iowa winter kicks in).
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Check your car for trouble codes. There might be some codes related to your starter problems which don't trigger the check engine light to come on.
2009 Vibe Base
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

Here is a pic of our Vibe. I like it more each day!
Attachments
2009 Red Pontiac Vibe GT
2009 Red Pontiac Vibe GT
Vibe (600 x 450).jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
korax234

Post by korax234 »

Looks good I do like the GT's body kits on the 2nd gen body but the base ones just look plain and boring.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

djan2000 wrote:Here is a pic of our Vibe. I like it more each day!
Man ... that Vibe looks very familiar :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Nice looking GT!

FYI, if you still have the plastic housing in the rear for the spare tire you may find the wrenches under the carpeted lid on the right hand side of the spare. It's the one under the smaller access door from the top. I was looking at the graphic for my spare tire and where they say the lug wrench and jack bar are is not where they are on the GT. You may have more than you think but the jack should be easily seen on the left hand side of the spare. as far as the shade goes, if you have it it will be folded up in a gray plastic cover about the size of a basketball and an inch thick, it has velcro fasteners on it's top. When unfolded it will look just like the picture above but that one is in backwards, the strap hanging in the center hooks onto the small headrest base tube to reduce buffeting in a windy car.

If you need me to send pics, pm me.
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Nice looking Vibe for sure. Makes me miss my 2010 GT :( I have the hatch cover from it still, and offered it to another member in here a few weeks ago, but if he does not want it, I can sell it to you. I needed to box it up and weigh it for an accurate postal quote.

As for the jack holder, it is just a metal clip attached to a rubber band. I ended up just turning the jack screw a bit so it would wedge itself between the sides of the plastic and it stayed in place ok.

Enjoy the Vibe!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

Thanks for your replies everyone, and the warm welcomes!

I tore apart the back end (as much as I could) and could not find any other parts that we are missing.
So...trb, if you still have the cargo cover, let me know the cost and we may be interested in getting it from you - thank you for offering.
Oh, by the way, I'm in the Des Moines, IA area (for calculating shipping).
Also, good to know about the rubber band/metal clip thingy that holds the jack in place. I can either try to make something, or just do what you did and turn the jack screw a bit to wedge it in place.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Props on posting a picture already! As you can see from my signature picture, we are a 2 Vibe family and we absolutely love them!
jdan2000 wrote:-- Also, I noticed the front leading edge of the sunroof does not sit flush with the top of the car (no leaks noted, though). I pulled back the rubber around the front of the sunroof and it's very rusty, and the rusted metal is "swollen" and irregular from the rust. Is this something that can be fixed, or do I need to buy a whole new sunroof glass/metal trim setup to install?
This actually seems to be a pretty common issue with sunroof-equipped 2nd gen (2009-2010) Vibes. I had the sunroof glass replaced on both our 09 GTs while they were still under warranty. Now, a few years later, the sunroof on my mom's is starting to rust and bubble up again. I am planning on ordering new glass ($250ish with shipping from GMPartsCenter.net) and I'm going to use the old glass to experiment on and see if the rubber can be removed and the frame could be painted with Rustoleum or something to avoid future issues. I will definitely post pictures and any relevant information when the time comes.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Owim

Post by Owim »

As far as the knob turning hard, that can be a very expensive fix. Mine did that and wouldn't go to defrost, something very much needed in minnesota. It could be the cables kinking or in my case it was the evaporator box that was broken. My mechanic had to take apart the whole dash to replace it. it was $1200 plus.
2009 2.4 AWD
jazzvibe

Post by jazzvibe »

If anyone ever does find themselves stuck without the ability to turn that climate control knob, here is my personal defrost procedure for my (recently murdered) Vibe.

My problem is that I cannot breathe the car exhausts that enter the car at road level, so "defrost" and "vent" settings set off my asthma any time a smelly car or truck is around me. So I drove around all the time with the car's climate control set on "recirc." That meant that I got fogged windows any time it got cold outside or anytime I had heavy breathers (canine or human!) in the passenger seat.

So I would blast the floor with heat on recirc, then open the sunroof on "vent" only, so that the back of the roof was tilted open. The hot air at foot level warmed up the car enough to keep the windows warm and dry, did not blast hot air in my face like using the defroster did, and the venting sunroof kept cool air at head level so that I did not feel like I was suffocating. The hot air held more moisture, so as it rose up and out the sunroof, it took the foggy window moisture with it. The air at sunroof level rarely carried enough exhaust fumes to bother my asthma unless I was stuck in traffic.

If your climate control knobs ever fail you, remember that heat down low, paired with a cracked open moon or sun roof will clear your windows pretty well.
My Recently Deceased Vibe
Murdered By A Dodge Charger 11-23-16!
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

djan2000 wrote:Here is a pic of our Vibe. I like it more each day!
I like the larger fog light nacelles on the GT, too.
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Hi, I am also a new 2009 Vibe GT owner with a few questions.

1. Should there be some accessory in the middle console for cup holders? 2
2. It some sort of an occasional rattle in the steering area common? Steering wheel is harder to turn than most cars I've had.
3. What type of gas mileage do you all get? I was leery of the 2.4 engine Vibes because most people get bad mpg's but so far I've gotten 31 and 27 with a mix of city and highway driving.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

JSizzle wrote:Hi, I am also a new 2009 Vibe GT owner with a few questions.

1. Should there be some accessory in the middle console for cup holders? 2
2. It some sort of an occasional rattle in the steering area common? Steering wheel is harder to turn than most cars I've had.
3. What type of gas mileage do you all get? I was leery of the 2.4 engine Vibes because most people get bad mpg's but so far I've gotten 31 and 27 with a mix of city and highway driving.
Welcome!

1. There are two plastic dividers which go in the cup holder area. One of them is adjustable for different cup sizes. http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/still ... 40_066.jpg
2. The vehicle has electric power steering, so if the steering is stiff, it should be checked out. Some 09+ have steering shaft problems including clunking.
3. I'd expect 25-30 with the 2.4L. Sounds like you're doing well!
2009 Vibe Base
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Mine is clearly missing those middle console dividers. I have tried looking for them online with no luck. Any idea what they are officially called?
djan2000

Post by djan2000 »

Our used Vibe was missing the cup holder dividers also. I found some at a local salvage yard. I scavenged them off a wrecked 2009 base Vibe - they let me have them for FREE! They were not advertised as having any in stock, but they just said to look around the salvage yard at the Vibes, and anything I could remove, I could take. Some things they charged me for, other things they didn't charge.
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Can those consoles only come off a 2009/10 Vibe? Such a short production span that not many are on the road, far fewer in junk yards.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

JSizzle wrote:Can those consoles only come off a 2009/10 Vibe? Such a short production span that not many are on the road, far fewer in junk yards.
Would be also found in the Toyota Matrix from 2009-2014, as the interior is identical.

The part numbers off the ones in my 09 are 58922-02010 and 58923-02050

Here's an ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272579425372

Personally I don't like them and I have contemplated making replacements out of wood that can actually hold a cup.
2009 Vibe Base
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Thanks, I've ordered that part. One of the two previous owners did some interesting customizing. They pained the front grill and Pontiac emblem over with black paint and on the back removed the Pontiac and Vibe GT wording decals. I'm going to spend a bit of money undoing most of their damage. But they helped me get the car for less money too.
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Took my 2009 GT to the mechanic for a look over and it is in great condition. Steering and suspension noise I worried about is common with the setup GM uses, they checked it over and it's fine. Anyone had any problems with the outside temperature sensor? I'm get erratic and very high readings, like 118 F when it was 85 F outside.
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

A few pics of the 2009 Vibe I just bought for $8990 with 78k miles. Previous 2 owners took good care of it though one of them had the grill and front Pontiac emblem painted black. Getting a new front emblem next week. They also took off the "Pontiac" and "Vibe GT" word emblems on the back. I found a self adhesive Vibe (w/o GT) emblem that I ordered and put on. All stock GT models would say "Vibe GT"

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Your pictures aren't showing up :(...

I have the "PONTIAC VIBE GT" badges that I removed from both our 09 GTs. If you want any or all of them, let me know and I can drop them in the mail ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage