Winter Tires Wheel Set

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chappy

Winter Tires Wheel Set

Post by chappy »

I have a 2009 GT.
I'm looking for winter tires+wheel set. Ideally I would get something from craiglist, but if run out of time, I'll just get them from Costco instead.

So from my understanding, I should downsize from the 18" wheels to 16". And the bolt pattern for the 16" should be 5-114.3. I should also get steel instead of alloy cause they're heavier and more road salt resistant.

Aaaand that's all I know.
What tire size should I be getting? 18" is suppose to be 215/45r18, but I dont know what's the 16" equivalent.
What are the number codes for a 16" wheel?
Which year Camry steels would fit also?

Thanks!

~~~~~

EDIT:
Errr...I THINK the tires that go with the 16" wheels would be 205/55r16. Correct?
I still dont know what numbers to look for regarding the 16" wheel. I dont think any random 16" with 5 hole would fit. Will it?
thebarber

Re: Winter Tires Wheel Set

Post by thebarber »

chappy wrote:I have a 2009 GT.
I'm looking for winter tires+wheel set. Ideally I would get something from craiglist, but if run out of time, I'll just get them from Costco instead.

So from my understanding, I should downsize from the 18" wheels to 16". And the bolt pattern for the 16" should be 5-114.3. I should also get steel instead of alloy cause they're heavier and more road salt resistant.

Aaaand that's all I know.
What tire size should I be getting? 18" is suppose to be 215/45r18, but I dont know what's the 16" equivalent.
What are the number codes for a 16" wheel?
Which year Camry steels would fit also?

Thanks!

~~~~~

EDIT:
Errr...I THINK the tires that go with the 16" wheels would be 205/55r16. Correct?
I still dont know what numbers to look for regarding the 16" wheel. I dont think any random 16" with 5 hole would fit. Will it?
16's likely best in 205-55-16. i prefer 215-55-16
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

5x114.3 bolt pattern = Yes
16" = Yes
205/55/16 tires = Yes

I would just look on eBay for wheels. The listings on eBay will show you all the relevant information you need to know.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
chappy

Post by chappy »

I see on tirerack this "offset" and "backspacing". What should those numbers be?

Most kijiji sellers only post the 16" and 5x114.3 and not info on offset and backspacing.

And are all 16" steel the same? Cause some kjiji posts include tires that arent 205/55r16.

ebay lists these numbers: 16x6, 16x6.5, 16x7, 16x8.
Which one am I suppose to get? Copy the tirerack info? 16x6.5?

Reference:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... alve+Stems

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... alve+Stems
123Vibe

Post by 123Vibe »

The following rims and tires are the size I use on our 2010 2.4l (not a GT)

16x6.5 5-114 et45 cb60 st new
205/55R-16 General AltiMAX RT43 (H- or V-Speed Rated)

You also need to change to lugnuts that are compatible with the steel wheels.

I was able to use 15" rims and narrower 195 tires on the 1.8l ''07 and '05. Let me know if you need those specs.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

My car is a 09 GT (all prices are US dollars, Canadian will be somewhat higher)

I just did this, finding new steel rims and lugs on eBay. Cost was about 205 dollars for all of it shipping included. I'm using 205/55R 16 tire and they work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Inch-Steel-W ... 1596382429

Search eBay for 2009 Camry steel rims and (20) 12mm x 1.5 lug nuts the only issue I had was the lug wrench in our cars is a 21mm and the new lugs are 19mm but I ordered a new one that fits perfect in the slot for 10 bucks (also Ebay). Make sure you get the tapered end lug nuts that look like a cone to center the rim on the lug. Some rims are bore centered but these are slightly larger than stock rims (5mm) they fit very well and would not have known they were larger if I had not looked online for the size. Lug torque is 72 ft. lbs.do not over torque them or you may damage your rotors.

The tires were on sale so I got Goodyear assurance comfortread for 450 dollars mounted and balanced that help soften the ride out and they work well but are not winter specific tires (all season). I would recommend using the rim edge clip-on type wheel weights for balancing as there is minimal room for stick-on type weights inside in the front with the brake calipers.

I also bought plastic hub caps for a 16" rim and you can pick the ones you like best they were 25 dollars.

I may chose to try and sell my 18" rims but haven't made up my mind yet. You will not have TPMS unless you order the sensors at about 200 bucks and then pay the dealership to get your car to recognize them. For now I have a yellow light on. I already read how to eliminate that with a resistor elsewhere on this forum. I know how to use a tire gauge and regularly do so. TPMS is a waste of money for me. I used rubber valve stems I bought at a local parts store (6 bucks) 1 1/2 long.

The reason I did all this was my tires on the 18 inch rims were near the end and replacing them alone is about 600-700 bucks and if I have a gripe about my Vibe is the ride. I wanted to try a larger side wall tire and see if the ride was better IMO it is and I'm glad I did it.
chappy

Post by chappy »

Found out Costco sell steelies too.
They apparently have hubcentric and lugcentric (universal). Arent hubcentric suppose to be more expensive? It's showing $5 cheap for me.

I think I'm just gonna get the whole set from Costco.

Do I have to do buy anything else for the TPMS?
Also, hub caps or no hub caps?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:Do I have to do buy anything else for the TPMS?
Also, hub caps or no hub caps?
I personally would just disable the TPMS. It's very simple to disable and it's not a permanent disable if you ever wanted to enable it for any reason.

As far as wheel covers go, the first couple winters we went without them, but than I eventually was able to score a killer deal on brand new OEM wheel covers and I much prefer the look with them.

chappy

Post by chappy »

Just read the TPMS thread. Sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll drive around with an orange light for a bit and see if it'll annoy me enough to do something about it. Hahaha.
Thanks!

Rims arrived. Costco says tires have arrived.
Gonna book appointment to have them installed.

Was browsing hub caps and came across the aerodynamic ones where it's completely smooth. I'm considering those. Will have to take a picture with the steelies and then photoshop them in to see if I can stomach it. Hahaha!
Owim

Post by Owim »

Black steel rims looks pretty good on my white 09 vibe. I also didnt put tpms in them, the light doesnt bother me. But I also took out the passenger seat to have more room because I'm a courier, and that extra room has come in handy quite often. so I have the tpms light on and the seat belt light from removing the passenger seat.
2009 2.4 AWD
Houston

Post by Houston »

chappy wrote:Just read the TPMS thread. Sounds like a lot of work. I think I'll drive around with an orange light for a bit and see if it'll annoy me enough to do something about it.
Yeah, I never put those sensors in my set of winter tires and wheels. That light doesn't bother me at all.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The TPMS light never bothered me either, but disabling it was super easy and it's much better with no light. Just my $.02 though!
Owim

Post by Owim »

How'd you disable it? would it be just as easy to disable the seat belt light for the passenger seat?
2009 2.4 AWD
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Owim wrote:How'd you disable it? would it be just as easy to disable the seat belt light for the passenger seat?
I followed the how-to I posted in a previous reply. I have no idea how to go about disabling the passenger seat belt light.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

I would think disabling the passenger light would be easy enough. Pop out the panel you needed to remove to disable the TPMS light and unplug it. The buzzer however would be another story....... :shock: perhaps unplugging the Cable at the passenger buckle may do it ?
Owim

Post by Owim »

JerBear wrote:I would think disabling the passenger light would be easy enough. Pop out the panel you needed to remove to disable the TPMS light and unplug it. The buzzer however would be another story....... :shock: perhaps unplugging the Cable at the passenger buckle may do it ?
The part to connect the seatbelt to the buckle if that makes any sense is connected to the seat and the thing that can tell if someone is in the seat. so when I removed the seat it all got unplugged, now there is a constant seatbelt light on the dash, no buzzing/beeping thankfully. Doesn't bother me really, was just curious if there was a easy fix. thanks though
2009 2.4 AWD