Trade In Time?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bikejon

Trade In Time?

Post by bikejon »

I have a 2009 GT with 104k miles on it. I got it 3.5 years ago and put approximately 20k on it per year. I'm wondering if it's time to part ways while it still has some resale value? It's my second Vibe so I wouldn't mind something different. I was disappointed to see the resale value wasn't that great ($3.5k-5k).

OR another option is to hold on for a few more years and give it to my son when he gets his license. I read some folks here getting 200k+ out of their Vibes.

Thoughts? Insights? Hallucinations?
vibrologist

Re: Trade In Time?

Post by vibrologist »

Hold on to it and hand it down to your son when the time comes. Meanwhile you have plenty time to save $$ for a newer ride. Oh, and make him pay something for it. He will value the car better if he has something to loose.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Thank you! :D
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

+1 on handing it down. so many kids get 1st cars that are money pits. vibes are super reliable!

also, make sure he helps you do maintenance work. kids these days need to learn that unlike everything else in their lives, cars don't have to be disposable and that if you can make one last, you'll save a ton of $$$ in the long haul.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Keep it
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Thank you gentlemen. Appreciate your input.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

My 10yo son is already eyeing my 09 Base.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Definitely hang onto it for your son!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Agree with all others in handing it down to junior when the time comes. As far as resale value I think you looked at the WRONG year! Our 2009-10 Vibe Gt's are worth thousands more than what you posted! When I bought my 09 Vibe GT I was fully intending for my son to use it once he got his license back in the day. Well to my surprise he did NOT want to learn to drive stick shift (which is what My Vibe GT is ;) ) so a couple years later we found him his own 09GT with an automatic. As responsible parents we met him HALF way with the purchase of it back in April 2011. The other half (appx. $6000) came out of his savings account! Five + years later no regrets at all!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"