'09 GT - New to Me in GA

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
XYooper906

'09 GT - New to Me in GA

Post by XYooper906 »

Hi,

I recently pulled the trigger on becoming a Vibe owner after years of admiring them. I bought a clean 2009 Vibe GT with just under 100K last month.

I bought it from a small dealership, but it was supposedly the dealer's daughter-in-law's car since new. The overall appearance of the car looks as if it lived a pampered life. But the only thing close to a service history that I received was a CarFax report. I am pretty diligent with my car maintenance, so if I can't be sure maintenance items have been done, I'll make sure to do them.

I'm really liking the car, but there are a few things that I need to address. One of those was a the amount of vibration at idle, in "Drive", especially with the A/C on. Yesterday, while changing the transmission fluid & filter, I took a good look at the motor & transmission mounts.

My suspicions were confirmed. The front and rear mounts are cracked & torn. The left mount is partially torn. The right mount looks to be OK.

I've done some searches on this site to find information about this subject. But I haven't found one thread that discusses it extensively. If anyone can point me to a good thread about motor mounts on my car, let me know. I'd rather not post my questions in the wrong thread.

I'm also going to check my valve clearances soon on the 2.4L. A good thread on that subject would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance!

Steve K.
Fayetteville, GA
chappy

Re: '09 GT - New to Me in GA

Post by chappy »

Dang. My 09 GT vibrates in R or D when idle too. I thought it was always only the rough idle issue since previous owner changed the battery around 5 months ago.

I'll have to take a look at my engine mounts too.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Steve :D Post pics when you get a chance so we can see this beauty ;) Glad you found us and joined up!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the new Vibe! Wish I had another 09-10 GT. Hope you enjoy it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Steve! As others have already said, definitely post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
trb wrote:Wish I had another 09-10 GT
You know perfectly well you'll end up with another one someday :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
XYooper906

Post by XYooper906 »

chappy wrote:Dang. My 09 GT vibrates in R or D when idle too. I thought it was always only the rough idle issue since previous owner changed the battery around 5 months ago.

I'll let you know how much difference it makes. The mounts are on order right now.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome XYooper!

You could try ToyotaNation and Youtube searches to find information on how to change the engine and tranny mounts. The Matrix is the matching model. I don't know if there is a Corolla with the 2.4L engine but the work should be analogous to the Camry with the 2.4L.

If you find something post it here. I will add it to the Maintenance index.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
XYooper906

Post by XYooper906 »

XYooper906 wrote:
chappy wrote:Dang. My 09 GT vibrates in R or D when idle too. I thought it was always only the rough idle issue since previous owner changed the battery around 5 months ago.

I'll let you know how much difference it makes. The mounts are on order right now.
Finally got the last of the four mounts replaced. What a difference! It is SO MUCH SMOOTHER at idle when in gear! I'll post the pics in the Maintenance section.