2005 Vibe involved in head-on collision

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
VibeAZ

2005 Vibe involved in head-on collision

Post by VibeAZ »

All involved parties came out uninjured. Which is the only thing that really matters ofcourse. Especially since my two college aged daughters were in the Vibe when it was hit at an estimated combined speed of 30 mph! Vibe is totalled. Air bags deployed, frame is likely bent, perhaps damage to the tranny etc.

My daughters were wearing thier seatbelts and I had the Takata airbag recall done on the passenger side. No problems thankfully. Car took care of them especially considering it was hit by a much larger SUV in an offset head-on collision. Tourists from the UK forgot to stay on thier side of the road coming around a blind hair pin curve on a California highway with nothin' but cliff hillside! I.e. Unavoidable.

Very proud of my oldest daughter for not panicing or over correcting and going off the cliff edge!

The rental car company is likely taking libility for the accident...know more tomorrow. Adjuster has already been out to examine the damage.

Vibe was a creampuff. Tough to see it damaged. Actually became attached to the little hatchback. Always liked them to begin with but they grew on me especially after owning one for a year and a half. Likely won't find another Vibe as clean and low mileage as the one we had. Really a perfect car. Only 60 K on the ODO!!!! Oh well. Was actually shoping for a second Vibe/Matrix for my younger daughter since the first one has worked out so well.

The Vibe is now sitting in the tow yard in Nor. Cal. San Rafael Ca. to be exact! Likely will have to sell it to a salvage yard since I am in AZ and 12 hours away by car.

We may be Vibe huntin in AZ once again!! Those kids told me the Vibe took care of them even in the inevitable collision with a much larger, heavier vehicle. I've seen horrific wrecks in my time as longtime first responder in my community. No doubt physics rule, but this little car is built well.

One relieved papa.
Attachments
Vibe vs Expedition
Vibe vs Expedition
IMG954045.jpg (83.84 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
tpollauf

Re: 2005 Vibe involved in head-on collision

Post by tpollauf »

Ouch :o Hate seeing wrecked Vibes .... But glad they protected your young ladies. Definitely get another one and maybe two! Keep us posted on the outcome especially on a settlement. Hopefully you'll be compensated well and that the girls have no long term health problems. Thanks for sharing this with us.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Sorry to hear about the wrecked Vibe, but thankfully your family wasn't seriously injured!

Good luck with the Vibe hunt!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Poor Frosty :cry:! So glad to hear no one was injured though. Definitely keep us updated on your search for another Vibe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Ibuytrux

Post by Ibuytrux »

WOW Guy, the main thing is you are OK! The little Vibes are getting harder and harder to find. My fear is some idiot running into mine and not find a comparable replacement. (06 GT, one lady owner with 52,000 miles hard loaded)
2006 Pontiac Vibe GT
VibeAZ

Post by VibeAZ »

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

It's official, Enterprise Rental Company is accepting liability for the damage to my daughter's Vibe. The adjuster has seen the car, and the agent says he can't find a comparable for sale in the area??? Really??? That is likely because there aren't any. Most of you fellow GenVibers have already bought them all up!!!! All of the Vibes he sees for sale have much higher mileage. Really??? I'll be sure to convince him of the truth, the car was a true find, and will be hard if not impossible to replace at only 65K well cared for miles on a 2005.

So while I wait to hear from the other drivers insurance company and their offer, I am searching the Western and Southwestern US for a replacement Vibe (Matrix). I'll keep at it. And all the while being grateful my young'ins' came out of this without a scratch.

If the Vibe weren't 772 miles away...

Anyone feel like selling their precious Vibe? Or know of one? I'm in Northern Arizona if that helps! Thx.
JPark

Post by JPark »

Did you ever find a replacement?
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted
JPark

Post by JPark »

VibeAZ wrote:
Anyone feel like selling their precious Vibe? Or know of one? I'm in Northern Arizona if that helps! Thx.
There's a good deal on a 2007 Moon & Tunes 1.8L automatic in Anthem (north of Phoenix). 119k miles, in good shape, asking $4200. I heavily considered it (and still wonder if I made the right choice) but went with a 2009 GT instead. Here's the link if you're interested.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/5774736135.html
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted