06 Vibe stallin on wet weater

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Double_V

06 Vibe stallin on wet weater

Post by Double_V »

It seems every time it rains hard, my vibe stalls and the rpms go all over the place. You press the accelerator and the car has no response in terms of power. Once the weather is dry and the car has a chance to dry up, it runs fine.

I check the coils and they looked OK. I had the car running and sprayed water on them and no change. So I'm puzzled as to why the car stalls or has little power when the weather is wet.

Anyone else experienced this?
Caretaker

Re: 06 Vibe stallin on wet weater

Post by Caretaker »

About 6 times a year for the past 4 years it happens at initial morning startup on my '09. It happens after an overnight rainfall or when there is fog or a heavy dew in the morning. While it doesn't happen all the time, it feels almost like there is not enough gas in the fuel injectors and the car rumbles to a start. I have new Denso iridium plugs and I'm about to put in new Delphi ignition coils. Unfortunately I won't be able to report any immediate scientific results given that my problem has always been intermittent. I can imagine that the problem is electrical given that cheap cars don't get high quality insulation around wires and they are all bundled together with lots of signal leakage.
Double_V

Post by Double_V »

Thanks for the reply. Let me know how it works out for you
Derf

Post by Derf »

Guessing you are not getting any codes and the car is at running temperature when the water issue occurs. When you sprayed water, was the engine also at running temperature? Have you looked under the car for any wiring or fuel line damage. The water may be impacting the fuel system causing a loss of fuel pressure.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )