Vibe GT- towing on all 4 wheels? HELP

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Maddawg46

Vibe GT- towing on all 4 wheels? HELP

Post by Maddawg46 »

I have a 2004 Vibe GT with a 6 speed manual. I'm having it set up to tow behind my motorhome. The place doing it asked me to verify that the gearbox will be ok. Some other cars with six speed manual have 6th gear go out do to lack of lubrication.

The owners manual is really vague. Just says to put in neutral and turn key to ACC to unlock steering wheel. Any experts here know? The GM dealer just looked at their on line manual, so not much confidence there.
jayoldschool

Re: Vibe GT- towing on all 4 wheels? HELP

Post by jayoldschool »

Personally, I'd use a tow dolly under the front wheels.

However, check the Toyota forum, someone there may have experience with a Matrix, Corolla S or a Vibe GT.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9 ... 2003-2008/

Search on RV forums, too.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I found this: http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/pdf ... e-2004.pdf

Dinghy towing any AWD is a no-no.
Last edited by MacGyver on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I'd personally prefer to tow all vehicles on a full trailer but I know that adds quite a bit of weight, is less fuel efficient and has a higher initial cost.

That being said and considering your use and needs, I'd still go with a tow dolly for the front tires as was mentioned above. Even if there's not an issue with overheating of the tranny fluid, the constant wear and tear on tires and literally every other component under there doesn't seem to be worth the overall long-term cost. Good luck with your decision.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Maddawg46

Post by Maddawg46 »

MacGyver....thanks. That's what I needed to calm my fears. I bought the Vibe because I did not want to tow with a dolly or pull a trailer. Thanks for that link.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Other genvibers have had success towing their manual tranny Vibes with all 4 wheels on the ground
viewtopic.php?t=26022