New member with an 07

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Yamahammer

New member with an 07

Post by Yamahammer »

I just bought a grey 07 base model with a 5 speed. It has 189000 miles on it but is in very good shape. It spent part of it's life being pulled behind a motor home, as it still has the tow bar attachment points. I bought a new belt and timing chain tensioner, and plan on changing all fluids. I have a couple questions.

1. Sometimes I hear what I think is a relay clicking in the area of the glovebox. It clicks every 1-2 seconds. I don't notice any other symptoms related to this.

2. While driving, the door open light on the cluster comes on and the interior light flashes. It happens when driving on bumpy roads. I have checked all of the doors and none are loose. Shaking on them doesn't make the light come on. Is this a common issue, and if so, what's the fix?

3. I've noticed the interior is a bit noisy. Looking in the panels in the cargo area it looks like it would be easy to add some soundproofing material. Has anyone done this, and if so, what did you use?

4. I am going to change the transmission fluid. I plan on using Amsoil Gl-4 fluid. How much do I need to buy?

Thanks
07 grey Base 5 speed, 200k miles
MacGyver

Re: New member with an 07

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to Genvibe, yamahammer!

1. Noise from the glovebox might be the HVAC recirculation damper: viewtopic.php?t=3435
To my knowledge, there aren't any relays on that side of the dashboard.

2. It sounds like one of the door switches has gone bad or has come loose from its mounting point. Start with the rear hatch.

3. I put a piece of carpet in the trunk area to help with noise and keep things from siding around. I never added sound dampening material to the vehicle.

4. This is one of the best guides I have seen for changing the tranny fluid in the 1ZZ engine. http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/2003 ... nge-Guide/ You'll need four quarts according to that.
2009 Vibe Base
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, Yamahammer!
Please post pictures of your Vibe and add your location tot he signature. and while you are at it, how about a picture of that Yamaha? I bet that screen name means something.

McGyver already answered all your questions.

I added sound proofing. It does make a difference but it is not a huge difference. I found that a set of quiet running tires is the most effective way to reduce the noise inside, then it is adding something like Peel and Seal to the inside of the door skins, and finally it is insulation.
the plastic panels in the trunk area a great surface for sound waves to take off. If you put carpeting on it it will make a notable difference.

Click on the link in my signature and scroll down....and down... eventually you find my trunk mat solution.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!
Yamahammer wrote: 2. While driving, the door open light on the cluster comes on and the interior light flashes. It happens when driving on bumpy roads. I have checked all of the doors and none are loose. Shaking on them doesn't make the light come on. Is this a common issue, and if so, what's the fix?
Check to see if the rear hatch glass is closed. It's very easy to hit the hatch release button on the remote and not realize it. Try pulling up on the hatch glass handle- if it the glass moves, open the hatch then close it again (gently, but firmly ;) )
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Yamahammer

Post by Yamahammer »

MacGyver wrote:
4. This is one of the best guides I have seen for changing the tranny fluid in the 1ZZ engine. http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/2003 ... nge-Guide/ You'll need four quarts according to that.
That would be a useful guide if mine was an automatic, not so much with my five speed.

I haven't noticed the ticking sound the last couple of times I have driven it.

As far as the open door light coming on, I do believe it was the back glass. Thanks
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Yamahammer wrote:I haven't noticed the ticking sound the last couple of times I have driven it.
If you have the recirculate button pushed in, it is possible that the door gear will stop ticking. When the recirc button is off, if the clicking starts up again, you'll want to remove the recirc door motor and move the plastic gear 1/2 turn. Or you can buy a new motor.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Yamahammer wrote:
MacGyver wrote:
That would be a useful guide if mine was an automatic, not so much with my five speed.
Well my bad, sorry I don't have experience with the stick shift trannys.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! As has already been mentioned, post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Yamahammer

Post by Yamahammer »

I don't have a photobucket account so it will be some time before j can get a picture of the car ( And the bike). So far so good with the car. The only problem I see so far is that there is something wrong with the fuel filler vent. I have to fill at a trickle otherwise the pump clicks off. There are no check engine lights, so I'm not sure what the problem is yet. Quick question, is there a way to change the temp display from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Thanks
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Yamahammer wrote:I don't have a photobucket account so it will be some time before j can get a picture of the car...Quick question, is there a way to change the temp display from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Thanks
You can upload three photos to each of your posts here if they are less than 130kb in size.

Sorry, can't change the temperature units in the instrument cluster - you're stuck with the way it came from the factory.
2009 Vibe Base
chappy

Post by chappy »

Yamahammer wrote:I don't have a photobucket account so it will be some time before j can get a picture of the car ( And the bike). So far so good with the car. The only problem I see so far is that there is something wrong with the fuel filler vent. I have to fill at a trickle otherwise the pump clicks off. There are no check engine lights, so I'm not sure what the problem is yet. Quick question, is there a way to change the temp display from Fahrenheit to Celsius? Thanks
Imgr, tinypic, etc. Lots of image hosting sites.

Rough way to convert F to C is to subtract 30 and divide by 2.
Or remember some key points.
32 F = 0 C
50 F = 10 C
70 F = 21 C
85 F = 29.5 C
100 F = 37.8 C
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad you found us here :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Yamahammer

Post by Yamahammer »

So far I have about 2500 miles on it, and it has been running great. I've been getting right at 33 mpg out of it. I tried to post a picture, but I don't know how to scale it down from my iPhone so it will attach.
JPark

Post by JPark »

Yamahammer wrote:So far I have about 2500 miles on it, and it has been running great. I've been getting right at 33 mpg out of it. I tried to post a picture, but I don't know how to scale it down from my iPhone so it will attach.
There are a few free apps you can use (I use Image Size--it gets the job done but isn't great), or as a quick and dirty method you can just email a picture to yourself and select the pic size when you email it.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted