Sunroof motor bogging down

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Cara

Sunroof motor bogging down

Post by Cara »

Sunroof or moonroof sporadically audibly "bogs" down when opening, and won't move.

It has, to date, corrected itself after a wait -- but I'm concerned that the motor is dying.

Anyone have tips, or has anyone replaced their own sunroof and want to give a summary of the difficulty of that project?
Cara
Cara

Re: Sunroof motor bogging down

Post by Cara »

... or recommendations for good aftermarket sunroof brands?
Cara
Cara

Post by Cara »

This problem has come back. Anyone have sunroof troubleshooting tips? I think I'm having motor issues, but I don't really know. I suspect that I should've been doing some kind of maintenance on the sunroof, but I don't know what. I'm afraid to test this, as testing means opening and, if I can't then close it, I'm kinda screwed!

How to "debug" this?
Cara
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Hi:

Is it possible that the sunroof rails have collected dirt and grime?

I would start with cleaning and lubricating the tracks. And yes, you have to open the sunroof to get to the tracks. It's the nature of the beast. If it does not want to close give it some manual help while you push the close button.
If it is an electrical issue it just might be a faulty switch. If the motor goes one way it should go the other way too, unless the switch is messed up.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Cara

Post by Cara »

Thanks. Now I know how to start. Appreciate it!
Cara