New vibe owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bigdoug

New vibe owner

Post by bigdoug »

The last car I owned was a Ford Focus ZTS. Great car, very reliable, never any major drivetrain issues. Then the trans conked out at 300k. The one issue I've had with the Focus is that even though they're great cars they rust a lot (mostly rockers and rear sub-frame) and considering this car was pretty rusted I decided to get a new car.

I've always been interested in the Matrix. So what did I get? A vibe. Close enough! In any case, the Matrix was harder to find around here, and the ones I did find were usually more expensive than Vibes. But the bonus is, considering this is the Detroit suburb/Southeast Michigan area, there's a ton of vibe parts and tons of vibes in scrap yards, whereas I barely see any Matrixes around here. (Would probably be the opposite in Tenn).

The one I have is a 04 base in silver/light gray, the plastic trim is also gray. 115k miles, only 5k more than what the Focus had when I bought her. Picked it up from a ford dealer for $4000.

Some things I like about the car:
- Brand new loaded struts
- Brand new front brakes
- Brand new battery
- Sunroof!
- ABS brakes. The majority of Vibes I looked at did not have ABS, and I saw only one other vibe and a matrix with ABS. I figured it was a common thing in the 2000s but my mechanic friend said it was still a luxury item, which shocks me considering how great of a safety feature it is.
- Door tweeters. I never noticed them on any vibes until this one (maybe I just missed them).
- On the back of the rear seats there's these fabric pouches screwed to the back of the seats. One of them has a teal first aid symbol on them.

Problems I've found with the car (Most of these I knew about when I bought it):
- The driver's side mirror fell right out of the housing a few days after I bought it. The mount points behind it look melted. Not a hard fix, but I had wondered if I could get folding ones. I don't see any online.
- No key fob. I must be spoiled because I miss this. I only recieved one key for the car. Maybe the car had a lock fob before and someone lost it. I'm sure a car stereo/remote start store could install one for me but that would cost $$$ and I'm a DIY, I could install it myself.
- The rear third brake light is burned out. It's still unfixed because I'm wondering if I can convert it to LED.
- Both the air filter and cabin air filter dirty. Cabin's been fixed. Debating if I should get a K&N ($50) or Spectre ($25) for the air box. Yea I know about CAI but the pipes for those are $150++++ and I'm a bit broke right now.
- Radio. It sounds too high pitched, even with equalizer adjusted. No Aux jack. And I aftermarket every one of my cars. Is this a 2 DIN?
- Rear cupholder is broken (most of it is missing). I will probably never use it but there's a hole there now.
- Put things into trunk and they slide all over the place. Did not expect that. I know there's a factory vibe carpet. I know Weathertech sells a rubber mat for $50 (but no floor mats?!). I'm thinking of just putting some kind of anti-slip or rubber stripping down on the floor.
- Recirculation door won't close fully when set on "outside air" and it flaps when the fan is blowing.
- The car had a slight front impact with previous owner. The frame is fine. But the lower grills are missing, and the fog lights are non-functioning.
- 12v jacks don't work when car is off.
- Two very small chips in the windshield, small enough that they are probably easily repairable.
- The fluids are a bit dirty. Trans fluid's a bit dull and gray, although mechanics have told me it could go for a while before needing to be changed.
- Speaking of fluids, orange coolant?! It's a Toyota engine so why Dexcool? Do the vibes come with Dexcool factory? If not, I'll probably flush it before the end of the year.
- There's a whole bunch of little paint chips that have already surface rusted. I'd like to fix those before they rust through. Plus, scuff marks here and there on the plastic.
- Headlights are foggy. So are the fog lights, and the backup lights. I'd like to polish them.
- Driver's side door window molding is a bit messed up.

What I'd like to fix/mod on the car in the future:
- Aftermarket stereo and speakers
- Aftermarket fog lights??
- LED third brake light
- Flush coolant and trans fluid
- I'd love to do something with the rear tail lights but I hear there's little aftermarket options for those. Anyone ever do anything LED with them? I notice it seems only the top and middle "cell" are used, anyone do anything with the bottom one?
- Love to do something like halos for the front lights sometime. For now, I want to get rid of the fogging by polishing them.
- Possibly a spoiler
- Window tinting in the distant future
- I'd love to get a 03 console and make it more like the 04 console, where the numbers are white, but turn them blue instead. I've seen a Matrix with that conversion.
- Clean up all the chips and scratches in the paint to make it look nicer.
- Fix/replace front grill.
- Remote lock key fob.
- Put rubber anti-slip stripping in the trunk, or a carpet.
- Make 12v jack work when car is off (so I can charge phone).

Back when I had the focus I was a member of Focus Fanatics where I'd ask for advice and stuff, so I joined here for the same reason. Any suggestions, links to instructions on how to fix things, links to mods, advice, wellcomes and well wishes, I accept them all.

Also, I have many pictures but the board is having trouble uploading them. Does the attachment system on this work or should I switch to third party? (photobucket/imgur)
MacGyver

Re: New vibe owner

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to the Genvibe club. Seems like you have a lot on your mind, let's see if we can put some of this stuff at ease.

Key fob - do you have power locks? If so then you should be able to add a keyless remote easily, just need to program it.

For the trunk, I used a cheap carpet floor mat like you'd use on the inside of your house, and cut it to fit the trunk area.

Yes, the radio is 2-din. A dash kit will fill in the gaps on the sides of an aftermarket radio. If your radio doesn't sound right, some of the speakers might be blown.

Recirculation door failure is common, and you can probably fix it by reversing a plastic gear. Do a search of this site of how to do this.

Power outlets are only on when the ignition is on in this car. You can change it: viewtopic.php?t=5078

If you want to upload pics to the site, they have to be pretty small, say under 120kB and jpeg. Otherwise you can host them elsewhere and link here.
2009 Vibe Base
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, bigdoug!

I am glad this Vibe found some tender loving owner! And just in time too.
I suggest you do the fluid changes earlier rather than later. Get rid of the dexcool right way. It's a Toyota not a GM under the hood. Get an Asian Formula coolant or the Toyota coolant.
In the "Maintenance" section you find an index for many of the things you are concerned with. Have a look at that.

I wonder if you have the Moon&Tunes package. It includes a sub woofer in the trunk area on the passenger side. If you have that you also find an amp under the passenger seat. Check all the connections to make sure all your speakers get their juice. Putting insulation in the trunk area helps a lot with improving the sound quality of the original system. I would start there. If you need new speakers they too will benefit from the installed insulation.

Click on the link in my signature. There I referenced the many little things that significantly enhanced my enjoyment of the car.

Please add your location and the model of you Vibe in your signature. Can't wait to see pictures of your Vibe.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Doug! I'll let the 1st gen (2003-2008) owners help with your questions since I have 2nd gens (2009-2010) and, therefore, aren't very knowledgeable about them. However, regarding your pictures, this thread should help. I look forward to seeing to seeing pictures and progress from you!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Doug 8-) It sounds like you are just an hour north of me (update profile for us). Yeah there are very few if any rusted Vibes on the road just yet, which is a good thing. Sounds like you'll put this one to the test driving it year round in the Michigan area. Visit often :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

All right. First some of my own rambling, then I will answer questions, and then PICTURES! Yay!

So, I noticed unexpectedly that I can pull the key out of my ignition when the car is in acc or run and the car will still be in acc or run. This only works on the original, old key. The newer keys I had cut do not do this, so I assume the original key is just worn. When I had the backup keys cut, I found they were a bit stiff in the exterior key slots, and I figured the key slots just needed some WD40. The tailgate lock was frozen, and is still frozen even with a ton of WD40. A mechanic friend says all of this is because of worn tumblers in the cylinders. Even if that is the case, I don't want to have to replace and get a new key for all 3 locks and the ignition. ("This key is for the hatch, this key is for the ignition, this key...")

Put newer tires on the car. Don't know if I mentioned bearing noise, it wasn't a bearing but a bad tire.
MacGyver wrote: Key fob - do you have power locks? If so then you should be able to add a keyless remote easily, just need to program it.

For the trunk, I used a cheap carpet floor mat like you'd use on the inside of your house, and cut it to fit the trunk area.
I do have power locks. I think I have found a thread around here that shows how to program it.

As for the mat, I found this shredded tire door mat that's about 1/8" thick for $20... I like it because nothing would ever slide on it ever, but I have no idea if I can cut through thick rubber like that.
vibrologist wrote: I suggest you do the fluid changes earlier rather than later. Get rid of the dexcool right way. It's a Toyota not a GM under the hood. Get an Asian Formula coolant or the Toyota coolant.
A friend of mine who works as a mechanic at a Chevy dealership says the Vibe came with dexcool and should stay that way. Also, looking at manuals for the Vibe online, GM says either Spec 1825M or Dexcool. I am quite confused. I have not seen the asian coolant anywhere.
vibrologist wrote: I wonder if you have the Moon&Tunes package. It includes a sub woofer in the trunk area on the passenger side. If you have that you also find an amp under the passenger seat.
I do not have the subwoofer in my car (I wish I did). There is a module located under the passenger front seat, as well as one under the driver's seat.

Pictures.

The front bumper was in a very minor impact (the frame is fine). The hood is slightly off, I'm not sure if I can get it aligned right again but I'll try.

Slight crack from the impact, might be able to epoxy that? And, the lights are foggy.

Condition of trans fluid. Might need to be changed eventually.

The two very small chips in the windshield. I think those can be repaired.

I want an opinion. Does it seem the wheel is leaning out in this picture, and is there any way to adjust it?
Also, notice the sticker residue on the tailgate. The car was originally a courtesy car for a pontiac dealership. I do want to buff that out sometime.

The moulding in the front driver's window.

This is the worst of several chips in the paint all over the body. I want to grind them off before the rust gets worse.

Cup holder is broken but I just picked up a new one from a yard for $5.

Mirror glass fell off a few days after I got the car. I would like it if there was a folding replacement but I have had no luck.

These came with the car. Nifty. (They didn't have anything but the item below, and a lugnut lock key, though I have no lock nuts on the vibe)

This was in one of the pouches above. What is this from?!

And, for the last picture, a vibe I saw last week. From the wavey roof damage I think it was hit by a branch or tree. But they're still driving it!

I will probably start a garage thread soon.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

bigdoug:
I would think that your old key is worn. It also left some metal shavings in the lock cylinder(s).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLPpXVElU0

I once took apart a trunk lock cylinder of a Mazda Protege. There was a lot of dust in it and there was some corrosion on the metal. I managed to clean it and make it work like new. Five years later is was malfunctioning again.

Dexcool: I am confused now as well. I believe the things I read here at the forum are trustworthy. I will avoid dexcool:
ZEREX-ASIAN-FORMULA.jpg
ZEREX-ASIAN-FORMULA.jpg (101.3 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
The thing under the driver seat is a power inverter. It feeds your AC outlet. The thing under the passenger should be an amplifier. I don't know if you have the same as a moon & tunes equipped Vibe.

Thanks for the pictures! Yours will look nice after a bit of touch up and wax. The red one looks rather sad. It should be a great parts car.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Oh yes, another question I meant to ask.

I see these links in old threads that say "zerothread=" in them, and the links do not work. Is there a way to get those links to work? They looked like they went to threads that might help me.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

bigdoug wrote:old threads that say "zerothread=" in them
Leftovers from a forum software upgrade years ago. Unfortunately these were never fixed.
2009 Vibe Base
hexraptor

Post by hexraptor »

New (to me) '03 vibe owner here! Sucks about the lack of aftermarket lighting..

Haven't gotten around to searching, if it's not on here I'm going to put a DIY post up on bypassing the Daytime Running Light set up, and (professionally) wiring the fog lamps to allow power in high beam and parking lamp positions. Trying to save the hours of use on the sylvania ultras I bought. Rated for 146 hours?! Better keep some spares in the glove box (removed).

Bigdoug, that left rear tire does look cambered in pretty bad. I'd make sure the rear axle isn't bent or rotting... If it's not rotting away, you can either: have a shop do an alignment and install shims behind the backing plate/hub to get it within spec (usually +- 1.5* toe and camber combined) OR pay them to do an alignment check, and use the specs given to you install it and clock shim appropriately yourself. Better off having it done if you want toe in the rear to be even, and you'd have to pay them again to re-check and set the steering wheel when you're done.

Best bet is to check if the inner edge of the tire is wearing badly before dropping money on that. :2cents:

BTW, if you don't feel like using those sweet rear seat pouches, I know a guy that wants em! lol

edit: why use critical thinking skills when google is a second away?? DRL disable! viewtopic.php?t=897 (no idea why i'm editing this in, I blame the alcohol lol ). Also, Looks like grounding the green/orange wire to the DRL module will allow fog lamp circuit to bypass the DRL module and allow power whenever switch is on, wiring diagram I have doesn't specify if power to that fuse/relay is only available in run or accessory 1/2 though..
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

VIbes had an optional Moon & Tunes package, which was later renamed to be sun & sound. On 03-04, this package included the sunroof, a power amplifier under the front passenger seat, and tweeters in the door by the side mirrors. In 05-08, the package also included a subwoofer mounted in the rear passenger side, but since bigdoung's was an 04, it would not have come with the subwoofer. A number of people with the M&T p;ackage that have replaced the head unit have needed to get a level converter, to keep the new head unit from overdriving the OEM amp and causing hiss and pops

hexraptor wrote:New (to me) '03 vibe owner here! Sucks about the lack of aftermarket lighting..

Haven't gotten around to searching, if it's not on here I'm going to put a DIY post up on bypassing the Daytime Running Light set up, and (professionally) wiring the fog lamps to allow power in high beam and parking lamp positions. Trying to save the hours of use on the sylvania ultras I bought. Rated for 146 hours?! Better keep some spares in the glove box (removed).

edit: why use critical thinking skills when google is a second away?? DRL disable! viewtopic.php?t=897 (no idea why i'm editing this in, I blame the alcohol lol ). Also, Looks like grounding the green/orange wire to the DRL module will allow fog lamp circuit to bypass the DRL module and allow power whenever switch is on, wiring diagram I have doesn't specify if power to that fuse/relay is only available in run or accessory 1/2 though..
Welcome to genvibe

I disabled the DRLs in my first Vibe, used the "cut the red/white wire" methid, and wired it to a switch. When I replaced that 03 with another 03, I didn't bother redoing the DRL disable mod. I've found pretty much any sylvania bulb has a short life.

viewtopic.php?t=9844 and viewtopic.php?t=25798 are two threads about modifying the foglight circuit to be able to use them whenever you want. I never found the fogs to be of much use, so never bothered doing that one myself
hexraptor

Post by hexraptor »

joatmon wrote:VIbes had an optional Moon & Tunes package, which was later renamed to be sun & sound. On 03-04, this package included the sunroof, a power amplifier under the front passenger seat, and tweeters in the door by the side mirrors. In 05-08, the package also included a subwoofer mounted in the rear passenger side, but since bigdoung's was an 04, it would not have come with the subwoofer. A number of people with the M&T p;ackage that have replaced the head unit have needed to get a level converter, to keep the new head unit from overdriving the OEM amp and causing hiss and pops

viewtopic.php?t=9844 and viewtopic.php?t=25798 are two threads about modifying the foglight circuit to be able to use them whenever you want. I never found the fogs to be of much use, so never bothered doing that one myself
Hadn't known it would be an issue with an aftermarket head unit, thanks for the info! I'll have to research that when I decide to switch to something new. Thought the sound system was pretty darn loud for stock after the last car, not complaining though :D

Gave the fog lamp circuit a dedicated ground with the load sensing wire to the DRL module for now, splicing into the parking lamp ground control circuit seems like a better idea seeing that thread, since I won't have to worry about leaving them on without a chime when getting out..

I've always considered the fog lamps as being there for style points anyway, haven't had much interaction with fog around here! lol

DRL bypass and full fog control done!