My apologies . . .

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
thatmemphisvibe

My apologies . . .

Post by thatmemphisvibe »

for reopening this can of worms -- the PCM recall. I've read several of the older threads, and would like some further advice.
Owner No. 2 of my 2008 (I'm its fourth) acquired the car in March 2010 with 58,260 miles (all info from carfax). The PCM recall went out on the car on 1-31-2011. Carfax estimates that owner 2 averaged about 30K miles a year while he/she had it, so the car was around 88K miles when it was recalled.
The PCM recall is still unresolved for this car, now at 185K miles. Should I pursue the PCM recall, or just keep driving it? It runs great -- none of the problems people describe from a bad PCM.
Thanks.
MacGyver

Re: My apologies . . .

Post by MacGyver »

There's no reason not to have the recall work done. It's free, all you need to give is about an hour of your time to the dealer, and put up with lousy idle for 60 or so miles.
2009 Vibe Base
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'd say take the freebie now instead of dealing with a stalling engine (possibly at the most inconvenient time) later.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I used to feel this way about recalls, but after the terrible luck I've had having other people fix things that weren't broken, I'm hesitant to go in for a recall I don't need unless it's for something dangerous, ie; our air bags.

I'd be more inclined to fix recalls I don't "need" if they gave me the parts to install myself. I know that will not and cannot happen, however.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
thatmemphisvibe

Post by thatmemphisvibe »

Yeah, I usually like to leave well enough alone, but i blew off the ignition switch recall on my previous car. I had never had any problems in 19 years, so what's the big deal? Then, of course, the car wouldn't start one morning because the 19-year-old part failed.
Anyway, the car is going in Monday for the airbag recall and the PCM recall. If I understand the older threads on this, the dealer can look at the number on the PCM and determine if it is one of the suspect devices. rather than just automatically swapping it out. If it's suspect, replace. If not. leave it alone. Is that usually how it works? I've seen that these lists of bad PCM part or lot numbers have been posted earlier, but the links to them don't seem to work anymore.