retaining nut rear wiper motor - left or right handed?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
cooter

retaining nut rear wiper motor - left or right handed?

Post by cooter »

Hi folks.

The rear wiper motor on my 2003 Vibe is not burned out, but is moving slowly/erratically. From reading other threads on this subject, I'm hoping I can just clean up corrosion on the shaft to get things moving freely again.

Please see picture - is that retaining nut right handed or left handed? I can't get it off, and want to make sure I'm turning it the right direction.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/em8d50y0eexy3 ... 4.jpg?dl=0
feh.jpg
feh.jpg (122.25 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
cooter

Re: retaining nut rear wiper motor - left or right handed?

Post by cooter »

Bump.

Hoping that somebody that has removed the rear wiper motor can answer this question.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Any chance you have a pull-n-pick junkyard nearby? Or maybe a GM / Toyota dealer to look at a wiper motor. I haven't taken one off, but I can't imagine the thread isn't right hand! The thread that holds the wiper on was R.H., correct? I can't remember the last L.H. thread I encountered, oh yeah, propane tank.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Chiadog wrote:Any chance you have a pull-n-pick junkyard nearby? Or maybe a GM / Toyota dealer to look at a wiper motor. I haven't taken one off, but I can't imagine the thread isn't right hand! The thread that holds the wiper on was R.H., correct? I can't remember the last L.H. thread I encountered, oh yeah, propane tank.
There is a howto on this site (in another thread) for removing the motor, and it states that bolt may be left handed. I found a video on youtube which states the same thing (although the vehicle in the video is not a vibe).
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The pic posted above is of a right handed thread. The only place on any car that you might encounter a left hand thread would be on the crankshaft, camshaft, or flywheel; and even then every maintenance manual would state in large font that it was left hand.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
cooter

Post by cooter »

star_deceiver wrote:The pic posted above is of a right handed thread. The only place on any car that you might encounter a left hand thread would be on the crankshaft, camshaft, or flywheel; and even then every maintenance manual would state in large font that it was left hand.
Are you looking at the exposed threads? If so, that is not the nut/thread I'm referring to.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Doesn't matter, you're not going to find it being left hand thread.

It may be rusted or galled up so soak it in some wd40, put a box end wrench on it and giv'er hell!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)