New Owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
fonti1992

New Owner

Post by fonti1992 »

Hi everyone. New owner of an '04 AWD here. Black with the gray cladding. 118k miles; needs a little work.

Part of the purchase was knowing there's this community here, and all the help that it might provide. Not coming from much of a DIY background, but ready to get started. I'll definitely be back to pester with maintenance/service questions. So thanks in advance.
Steve41337

Re: New Owner

Post by Steve41337 »

Congratulations! And a Happy 4th of July Holiday to You!

I'm a new Vibe owner and member here too and agree this is an incredible resource. Keep us posted on your progress.
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Two-Tone Frosty AWD with Sunroof
Purchased June 2016 in Loxley AL
Steve41337 Tucson Arizona :D
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe .... And from way up there in Alaska 8-) Thanks for letting us know where you're from. Post pics of your Vibe when you get some free time. Lots of us here ready & willing to help you.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

Welcome! I'm also a new owner. I've had it for a week now and I love it. Congrats on the purchase. This group is awesome
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base Auto
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Welcome! As you can see from several of us, we own multiple Vibes so that should be a testament to what you're getting into! :lol:

If you're on Facebook, don't forget to join us on there. facebook.com/groups/Genvibe
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome. :)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
fonti1992

Post by fonti1992 »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'll definitely get a couple quick picture up. I meant to have done that by now, but I seem to keep forgetting.

So far I've done just a quick once over of the interior with some simple green, though I need to goo-gone a couple spots and it could use a vacuuming, too. Did a transmission fluid change the other day. And rinsed off the rear differential - seems something's leaked and been collecting dirt/grime.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

fonti1992 wrote:Did a transmission fluid change the other day. And rinsed off the rear differential - seems something's leaked and been collecting dirt/grime.
The rear diffs are a bit prone to slight leaking. Usually the seals associated with it will need to be replaced. We are currently trying to do that on our AWD, but can't get the drain/fill plugs out on the rear diff. For now, we just keep spraying it with PB Blaster and trying it every couple days. Eventually we'll be able to get that done.

fonti1992

Post by fonti1992 »

So here's a quick shot of my "new" Vibe:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Obviously fog lights are on the to-do list.I assume that's a fairly easy DIY.

zbyers wrote:The rear diffs are a bit prone to slight leaking. Usually the seals associated with it will need to be replaced.
I haven't checked since I cleaned it, but it had looked like the driveshaft side might have had a minor leak. But most of the gunk was on the axle sides, so I wasn't sure if it was the CV boots. Either way, how hard is the rear diff to DIY? considering my lack of applicable background and/or skill. Or would it smarter to have a shop do it?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great looking Vibe! Thanks for posting a picture ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'm not too sure how difficult the rear diff is to work on. We have yet to open the plugs to check ours.

Here is a write up on how to change the fluid in the rear diff: viewtopic.php?t=24646

And how to check the front transfer case: viewtopic.php?t=30035

fonti1992

Post by fonti1992 »

Thanks for the links. I'd definitely need to get a breaker bar for the bolts. But it looks like the seals need to be redone, and a cursory search on that process makes me inclined to take it in. But we'll see.

Did another transmission fluid change. I'll do the filter with the next one, once I figure out which of the three gasket options I need from Toyota parts. Removed the frayed out rear seat belts and cleaned out the rear seat and storage area, too.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

fonti1992 wrote:Did another transmission fluid change. I'll do the filter with the next one, once I figure out which of the three gasket options I need from Toyota parts. Removed the frayed out rear seat belts and cleaned out the rear seat and storage area, too.
AWD should have the 19 bolt pan, but I'm not positive. Count the bolts on your pan, then match it up with the bolt count the parts stores have. The filters through AutoZone are TF176 and TF177 (18 & 19 bolt, if I remember correctly)

fonti1992

Post by fonti1992 »

zbyers wrote:AWD should have the 19 bolt pan, but I'm not positive. Count the bolts on your pan, then match it up with the bolt count the parts stores have. The filters through AutoZone are TF176 and TF177 (18 & 19 bolt, if I remember correctly)
Sorry for such a long delay here. Just wanted to say thanks for the help. It was 19 bolts, and I did stop by AutoZone for everything. Unfortunately I forgot to convert units for torque and ended up shearing off a bolt in the filter. So I ended up taking it in to the shop, where I had them fix that error and do the rear diff seals. But again, thanks.