Might buy this 2010 GT Auto...might

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chappy

Might buy this 2010 GT Auto...might

Post by chappy »

There's a black 2010 GT Auto from a used car dealership.
90400 km (56200 miles).
Asking $9999 CAD (7800 USD).
Link: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Pontiac/Vibe ... rup=3_15_3

I have a few concerns about the car.

1) Regarding accidents, how paranoid should I be about them?

The CarProof is here: https://reports.carproof.com/main?id=qM ... qgaB9/kAFr
There's a collision on the rear right side with damage estimates of around $2500 CAD (1950 USD) when it was 2-3 years old.

I havent seen the car yet, just got the CarProof from them.

2) Which of these online pre-purchase car inspections (mobile mechanics) are good?
http://www.smartautocheck.com/
https://www.carcheckcanada.ca/
http://carinspector.ca/

My main concern would be how the collision has affected the car, OBD codes, engine/transmission health, frame of the vehicle. Basically stuff I have no knowledge of as exterior/interior is easy to inspect.
I know that the best way is to bring it to a shop and have it raised so the bottom can be inspected easily, but I'm unsure if the seller/dealer would allow due to insurance/liability issue (not the something-to-hide issue).
That and it's 30min drive from where I live and I dont know the area.

3) The engine might burn oil (2AZ-FE). Other than the costs affecting my wallet, how else would that affect the vehicle? Gas economy? Damage to engine? Reliability?

If I budget $50 a year for the oil consumption, is that sufficient?

4) Regarding monthly expenses... How much does maintenance/repair costs?

There's gas and insurance: $500-600
Repair/Maintenance budget: $100-150

Is that good enough? It's my first car so I dont know how much to allocate for repair/maintenance.

Thanks!
MacGyver

Re: Might buy this 2010 GT Auto...might

Post by MacGyver »

Welcome to Genvibe!

Carproof can't be trusted since not all accidents may be reported, but the maintenance visits reported are a good sign this vehicle was well maintained.

As far as accidents go, $2500 isn't much damage today. Probably replaced the rear bumper, fixed rear fender panel, paint, and maybe a taillight. In my 2006 Matrix, I was rear ended square on by an inattentive driver. The rear bumper, hatch door, and more was replaced for over $5K and that was six years ago. Best thing to check is the trunk floor. If the trunk floor isn't tight, moves or lifts slightly when the knobs are set to lock, or doesn't open or close properly, there is probably frame damage in the rear that was missed and you should walk away. Also check the fit of interior panels in the trunk for other signs of unrepaired damage.

Can't recommend any inspection service. But check out this video and learn how to do it yourself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDv5bUR_Plo
Of course if you don't have an OBD scanner, then paying for an inspection service would probably be worth it.

As far as the 2.4L engine, it's notorious for problems. Older versions the head bolts would strip, rendering the engine a writeoff, and on newer versions there is a defect in the pistons which cause the engine to eat oil at alarming rates. Sometimes. There are millions of these engines on the road and not every one is affected. It just seems that way because Internet. Unfortunately there is no way to tell without dismantling the engine. Toyota/GM don't even know what pistons the engine was assembled with, so they have to pull the engine apart and then wait for parts. I will let other 2.4L owners chime in with their experience; I only have experience with the 1.8L engines which in my experience never burn oil.

My 1.8L gets 7.6-7.8L/100km. So I can go about 500km on $40 of gas. 2.4L economy is slightly worse but not by much. Insurance is a biggie since you're in the GTA and it's your first car - that's an entirely new topic on its own. For maintenance, I put away $100 a month for maintenance of each of my vehicles and keep the fund topped up at $1000 per vehicle, which should cover any huge unexpected repair, new tires, winter tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. These cars don't require much maintenance.

Other things:
Check the radio knobs, they break and are a pain to fix. If they are already broken, ask for a discount.
OnStar can be upgraded in the car to 4G LTE WiFi - it may have already been done by the dealer if the previous owner subbed to Onstar. If so you are entitled to a free trial!
Check the tranny fluid, the 100k service interval is coming soon. Expect $80 for that service.
There may be an open recall on your car for power window switch, get that fixed for free at a GM dealer.
2009 Vibe Base
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Those with late 2009 models have reported they don't have the oil burn issue, so I would expect a 2010 to also not have the issue. If by chance it does, the general average seems to be about a quart every 3000 miles. $50 would more than cover that.
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Don't let the oil burning issue stop you from getting this car. Chances are it doesn't burn any. If it does you only notice it when checking the oil in the engine. In other words there is no smoke or nasty fumes present. Fuel economy is not affected by any excessive oil consumption. One of our Vibes consumes oil and the other does not. It's not a big deal. Keep us posted as to if you get this GT or not.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
leemur

Post by leemur »

my 2,4 was bought in June 09 so mine is most likely an official burner but in my experience with this car...
I had no oil issues until the car was 5 years old and my 19 year old son started driving it (him exclusively)

Then I had oil loss. When I took the car back one year later it was using oil but mostly quit within a month.
It looks like getting on it...heavy acceleration just pushes the oil through, small amount but adds up over a month.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013
chappy

Post by chappy »

Rayven01 wrote:Those with late 2009 models have reported they don't have the oil burn issue, so I would expect a 2010 to also not have the issue. If by chance it does, the general average seems to be about a quart every 3000 miles. $50 would more than cover that.
leemur wrote:my 2,4 was bought in June 09 so mine is most likely an official burner but in my experience with this car...
I had no oil issues until the car was 5 years old and my 19 year old son started driving it (him exclusively)

Then I had oil loss. When I took the car back one year later it was using oil but mostly quit within a month.
It looks like getting on it...heavy acceleration just pushes the oil through, small amount but adds up over a month.
tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe. Don't let the oil burning issue stop you from getting this car. Chances are it doesn't burn any. If it does you only notice it when checking the oil in the engine. In other words there is no smoke or nasty fumes present. Fuel economy is not affected by any excessive oil consumption. One of our Vibes consumes oil and the other does not. It's not a big deal. Keep us posted as to if you get this GT or not.
It really depends on how bad the oil consumption will affect the vehicle. If it's around $50/month, I'm ok with that. But if it damages the engine over time, makes unreliable, or -5mpg from the gas mileage, I might just consider a 1.8L instead.
From what you guys say, it seems to be purely a monetary issue. That and it's a 2010 model.
MacGyver wrote:Welcome to Genvibe!

Carproof can't be trusted since not all accidents may be reported, but the maintenance visits reported are a good sign this vehicle was well maintained.

As far as accidents go, $2500 isn't much damage today. Probably replaced the rear bumper, fixed rear fender panel, paint, and maybe a taillight. In my 2006 Matrix, I was rear ended square on by an inattentive driver. The rear bumper, hatch door, and more was replaced for over $5K and that was six years ago. Best thing to check is the trunk floor. If the trunk floor isn't tight, moves or lifts slightly when the knobs are set to lock, or doesn't open or close properly, there is probably frame damage in the rear that was missed and you should walk away. Also check the fit of interior panels in the trunk for other signs of unrepaired damage.

Can't recommend any inspection service. But check out this video and learn how to do it yourself! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDv5bUR_Plo
Of course if you don't have an OBD scanner, then paying for an inspection service would probably be worth it.

As far as the 2.4L engine, it's notorious for problems. Older versions the head bolts would strip, rendering the engine a writeoff, and on newer versions there is a defect in the pistons which cause the engine to eat oil at alarming rates. Sometimes. There are millions of these engines on the road and not every one is affected. It just seems that way because Internet. Unfortunately there is no way to tell without dismantling the engine. Toyota/GM don't even know what pistons the engine was assembled with, so they have to pull the engine apart and then wait for parts. I will let other 2.4L owners chime in with their experience; I only have experience with the 1.8L engines which in my experience never burn oil.

My 1.8L gets 7.6-7.8L/100km. So I can go about 500km on $40 of gas. 2.4L economy is slightly worse but not by much. Insurance is a biggie since you're in the GTA and it's your first car - that's an entirely new topic on its own. For maintenance, I put away $100 a month for maintenance of each of my vehicles and keep the fund topped up at $1000 per vehicle, which should cover any huge unexpected repair, new tires, winter tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. These cars don't require much maintenance.

Other things:
Check the radio knobs, they break and are a pain to fix. If they are already broken, ask for a discount.
OnStar can be upgraded in the car to 4G LTE WiFi - it may have already been done by the dealer if the previous owner subbed to Onstar. If so you are entitled to a free trial!
Check the tranny fluid, the 100k service interval is coming soon. Expect $80 for that service.
There may be an open recall on your car for power window switch, get that fixed for free at a GM dealer.
I have $2000 set aside for any immediate (within 2 months) maintenance/repairs in case I got unlucky.

Haha! I watched those videos he posted a few times before I found out about those online pre-purchase inspection sites. Learned so much from his vids. But no OBD reader, and I'm not sure where things are in the engine, and no paint thickness gauge. So probably will spend $150 on the mobile mechanic...after I take a look at it first to see if I like it.

The amount of service record declined over time. Hopefully that's just cause he/she found a small shop instead of bringing it to dealership.

Yea. My commute is 40km each way. And 30 year old male in GTA dont really get cheap insurance.

~~

My new concern based on the CarProof is that the report was requested 7 months ago. So the car hasnt been sold for 7 months...something's off.

I'll check out the car the coming week. I'll see.
Thanks everyone!
chappy

Post by chappy »

Just checked out the car.

A few noticeable cuts, dings, and scratches in the interior (front passenger, rear passenger, trunk). To me, it felt like the previous owner used it to haul stuff around. The rim of the spare tire had rust, the jack had rust, the metal part of the knobs that lock the trunk plastic parts had rust. From my understanding, those parts shouldnt have rust since it's inside and protected from the elements. CarProof didnt show many service records. Used car dealer also just replaced tires. Just didnt felt like the previous owner took care of the vehicle.

Oil looked ok, but I didnt know how to check the amount. The red fluid looks ok, but was only half full.

Exterior has the usual parking lot dings here and there. Was pretty turned off by the interior and rust in the spare tire wheel well.
The rear right bumper doesnt align proper so it's obvious there's collision damage. Wheel looks aligned properly. A minor cosmetic thing compared to the interior.

Forgot to check underneath of the vehicle.

Never test drove it.

Overall, it seemed older than a 2010 car with 90600 km. I'm concerned and wary so gonna walk away.

~~

Next one to check out: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Pontiac/Vibe ... rup=2_15_3

2009 Black GT
139000 km (86400 miles)
8300 CAD (6400 USD)

Private owner, so at least I'll have a better idea of the history of the vehicle. Has the window visors I would eventually consider getting. No accidents.
Picture looks like it has a baby carriage in the back seats so hopefully owner didnt push the vehicle too hard.
Only concern is that it's been listed for 41 days and havent been sold yet.

~~

I might have to consider getting a Vibe Base model instead since the GT are so rare.
What are the difference between Base and GT?
-1.8L vs 2.4L
-fog lights
-spoilers/body kit
-alloy wheels
-sunroof
-sound system
-better rear suspension for handling
-the 120V AC outlet??

How much would it cost to add a similar body kit/spoilers to a Base model so it looks as cool as the GT?
How much are alloy rims?
Are fog lights useful? Or just a looks/style thing? How much would those cost?
Does the Base model also have the 120V AC outlet (cause I know only the Matrix XRS has it, but XR and Base doesnt)?

Thanks!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You've certainly come to the right place to do your research!

Here's some general information on 2nd gen (2009-2010) Vibes for you:
- Trims: 1.8L Base with either 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto | 2.4L Base with either 5-speed manual or 5-speed auto | AWD with 2.4L engine and 4-speed auto only | GT 2.4L with either 5-speed manual or 5-speed auto

- 1.8L = 5x100 bolt pattern (same as all 1st gens [2003-2008])
- 2.4L = 5x114.3 bolt pattern

Fog lights were an available option for 1.8L and 2.4L Bases and AWDs and were standard on all GTs. Fog lights can be added pretty easily if you end up getting a Vibe without them.

As far as making a non-GT look like a GT, it wouldn't be too hard. You would need the front bumper cover, fog light housings, grilles, side skirts, spoiler, rear bumper cover and lower rear fascia. The body parts and wheels could be purchased used. You could possibly luck out and find a GT in the same color at a junkyard near you using car-part.com. You can also check eBay and Craig's List.

GTs and AWDs have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension). Bases do not.

I'm not sure on the numbers for the 1.8L, but the 2.4L is rated at 158 horsepower and 162 ft / lbs of torque. 2.4L EPA numbers are: City - 21 | Highway - 29 | Combined - 24. I just got 40 MPG in my 09 5-speed auto GT last weekend with 100% highway driving at 60 MPH. With 50/50 driving I average right around 28 MPG. Note, my Vibe has a K&N short ram air intake with an AEM Dryflow air filter and a Magnaflow catback exhaust.

The household outlet was standard on all 2009-2010 Vibes. The sunroof and upgraded stereo were an available option on 2.4L Bases, AWDs and GTs. Let me know if you have any other questions ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
chappy

Post by chappy »

Gonna check out this VIbe GT next week. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Pontiac/Vibe ... up=3_15_10

2009 Black GT
139000 km (86400 miles)
8300 CAD (6400 USD)

CarProof shows vandalism damages on the left side. Guess I'll see what it's all about.
https://reports.carproof.com/main?id=7p ... Vq544WP8Hq

It's been listed online for more than 6 weeks.
Should I be concerned about that?

Also, any way I can figure out if this car is victim to the oil consumption?
If I read the CarProof correctly, it looks like it was purchased in September 2008. Seems like I have a good chance of getting an oil guzzler.

~~
vibenvy wrote:Note, my Vibe has a K&N short ram air intake with an AEM Dryflow air filter and a Magnaflow catback exhaust.
Do those increase performance or gas mileage or both?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:Also, any way I can figure out if this car is victim to the oil consumption?
If I read the CarProof correctly, it looks like it was purchased in September 2008. Seems like I have a good chance of getting an oil guzzler.

Do those increase performance or gas mileage or both?
Check the sticker on the driver's side door jamb. It will show the month and year the vehicle was built.

There have not been any actual confirmations for which Vibes consume oil. However, based on the owners that have reported experiencing it here, it seems to effect Vibes that were built in early 2008 more often than not. Our 09 GTs were built in October and November of 2008. Both are just over 68,000 miles with zero oil consumption thus far.

I have seen a slight increase in power and a 1-2 MPG increase, so definitely both.
chappy

Post by chappy »

Sigh...Close, but no good.

This one vehicle was decent enough compared to the other two GTs I've checked out (I looked at another before I started this thread, it had obvious collision front damage so I walked).
-Interior looks good.
-Exterior is good, but had scratches/paint chips from parking in a condo. The edges of the doors had scratches due to opening the doors too wide and hitting the walls in the parking garage it seems like. It's deep enough that I see the metal of the door.
-Test drive felt nice.
-No radio knob issue. And no reported oil consumption issue. Forgot to check manufacturing date.
-Mechanic says everything looks good.
-Two lights werent working though. The rear left red light on the outside. And the front passenger dome light on the inside. Probably the bulbs burnt.

The only thing that wasnt good was the price. He wouldnt budge on 7600. Based on my research, the fair value is around 7200-7500. My final offer was 7400 due to the non-working lights.

My only concerns are the two lights that arent working and the scratches along the edges of the doors.
How much would the two lights cost to fix (part and labour, or just parts if I'm up for DIY)?
How much would it be to fix the edges of the doors (mainly the two front doors)?
It doesnt spoil the look of the vehicle. I'm just worried about it causing rust since the metal is exposed. I live NE of Toronto so they use road salt and I cant park the vehicle indoors.

Would you guys just pay the 240 extra (have to add 13% tax)? I do plan to keep the car for 8-10 years if possible.

Thanks!
chappy

Post by chappy »

vibenvy wrote:I have seen a slight increase in power and a 1-2 MPG increase, so definitely both.
Was it worth it? Cause the SRI seems to cost like 350-500 based on my very limited research.
Seems like the air filter, catback, and SRI would cost 1000-1500.

I'm coming from a purely gas mileage perspective since stock power is more than enough for me.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'll throw a bomb in here Chappy. The folks that keep saying that there is little difference between the 1.8 and 2.4 on gas mileage are either smoking something illegal or are never going over the 35 mph speed limit in town or 55 on the highway. It just doesn't seem credible to me with that big a displacement difference. If people are pushing 80 on the highway like we do here in SoCal, or driving in town like a normal person, you are looking at 22-24 mpg average with the Camry engine, not the 30 mpg I routinely get with my Corolla engine as I casually drive without looking at my speedometer every 5 seconds or throwing a bed sheet out the window so I can coast when the wind is favorable. The Camry engine is simply too much for a small car like the Vibe. Get it because you like the feel of spinning wheels under your feet and like keeping Exxon executive's kids in Ivy League schools. Just don't get the larger engine because some people keep repeating that there is not much of a drop in gas mileage. It just doesn't pass the common sense test. Oh and by the way, when I made a 400 mile highway trip on mostly flat roads going 55 mph the whole way, I got 43 mpg. I'll keep my Corolla engine.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:-Two lights werent working though. The rear left red light on the outside. And the front passenger dome light on the inside. Probably the bulbs burnt.

How much would the two lights cost to fix (part and labour, or just parts if I'm up for DIY)?
Assuming the bulbs are indeed just burnt out, you're looking at few bucks and few minutes for replacement. Very easy!
Caretaker wrote:I'll throw a bomb in here Chappy. The folks that keep saying that there is little difference between the 1.8 and 2.4 on gas mileage are either smoking something illegal or are never going over the 35 mph speed limit in town or 55 on the highway. It just doesn't seem credible to me with that big a displacement difference. If people are pushing 80 on the highway like we do here in SoCal, or driving in town like a normal person, you are looking at 22-24 mpg average with the Camry engine, not the 30 mpg I routinely get with my Corolla engine as I casually drive without looking at my speedometer every 5 seconds or throwing a bed sheet out the window so I can coast when the wind is favorable. The Camry engine is simply too much for a small car like the Vibe. Get it because you like the feel of spinning wheels under your feet and like keeping Exxon executive's kids in Ivy League schools. Just don't get the larger engine because some people keep repeating that there is not much of a drop in gas mileage. It just doesn't pass the common sense test. Oh and by the way, when I made a 400 mile highway trip on mostly flat roads going 55 mph the whole way, I got 43 mpg. I'll keep my Corolla engine.
I'm not saying the 2.4 gets better mileage than the 1.8. What I am saying is, like with any other vehicle, as long as you don't drive like a racecar driver, you can easily surpass the EPA numbers. Again, I will mention the 40 MPG I got at 60 MPH with 100% highway. I average 27-28 MPG with my everyday 50/50 driving. 30-35 MPH in town, 55 MPH on country roads. It just ticks me off that everyone bashes the 2.4 for gas mileage. IMO, it's a great combination of a little more power and decent gas mileage.

I would love to have a 2nd gen 1.8 though to see what kind of mileage I could squeeze out of it.
chappy

Post by chappy »

I would get the 2nd Gen GT with a 1.8L if I could. Unfortunately, I do somewhat care about looks so I'm easily swayed by the bodykit, fog lights, spoilers, alloys of the GT. So I decided that if I cant get a GT, I'll just get an Elantra Touring instead. Really hard to make the ET look good that I wouldnt even bother.

I'll mainly use the car for highway commute so gas economy wont be too bad with 2.4L. Could be better, but owell.

~~~~~

Either way, I caved and decided to pay him the extra 200. Justified it by telling myself that it's tinted and has the window rain guards already. Will post pictures once I get it some time next week. He's on vacay.

Some things I plan to do soon after I get it:
1) Replace the non-working rear brake bulbs (assuming it's bulb and not the wiring).
Since I'm going to replace the rear brake lights, I'm planning to replace all the lights (turn, back up, brake) for both sides to something brighter. Where can I order them online?
And since I have the housing off, should I preemptively put on a protective layer on top of it now or deal with that when it starts to haze up?
2) Replace right map light (assuming it's bulb and not the wiring).
Similarly, I might as well replace all the interior dome and trunk lights to some LEDs that are brighter. But these, I would strongly prefer warm white instead of cool white. Where can I get them?
Also, how many courtesy lights are there? 2 or 4? Would like to order them sooner so I wait less for shipping.
3) Touch-up paint the door scratches.
What kind of coating should I apply on top of the touch-up paint? I'll wax it, but anything before I apply wax?
4) Clean and wax car.
Can I use dish soap or I have to use car soap from those automotive stores?
Also, liquid wax vs paste wax?
5) Bring to mechanic...but why?
The amount of oil should be ok (will check again). Pre-purchase inspection didnt mention anything except for the bulbs and sweating on oil pan.
Btw, pre-purchase inspection mechanic is not the same mechanic that I will be going to for regular service.
6) I forgot to check, but do the 2009 Vibe GT have wheel lug nut keys?

Thanks!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Well, if you still haven't made the transaction yet and you need any advice on the Vibe versus the HET, I'd be glad to help you out since I own both of them. Just let me know.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:And since I have the housing off, should I preemptively put on a protective layer on top of it now or deal with that when it starts to haze up?
2) Replace right map light (assuming it's bulb and not the wiring).
Similarly, I might as well replace all the interior dome and trunk lights to some LEDs that are brighter. But these, I would strongly prefer warm white instead of cool white. Where can I get them?
Also, how many courtesy lights are there? 2 or 4? Would like to order them sooner so I wait less for shipping.
4) Clean and wax car.
Can I use dish soap or I have to use car soap from those automotive stores?
Also, liquid wax vs paste wax?
6) I forgot to check, but do the 2009 Vibe GT have wheel lug nut keys?

Thanks!
If the headlights and taillights are still nice and clear, I would just put a coat of wax on them every so often to help keep them protected. I've been doing this with our Vibes since we got them in 2009 and they still look brand new.

As others suggested on FB, SuperBrightLEDs sells warm white LED bulbs. There are also tons of places on eBay that sell them as well.

There are 2 map lights up front above the windshield that use #194 bulbs (assuming it has a sunroof). Than there is an overhead light between the front and rear seats and another overhead light over the rear cargo area. The latter 2 use #DE3175 (#31mm) bulbs.

Do not use dish soap. It will strip any wax on the paint. I personally use Mother's Caranuba Wash and Wax.

I personally use liquid wax because it's easier to work with. I use the complete Mother's Ultimate 3 Step Wax System twice a year and in between I use the pure caranuba wax (step 3).

I highly recommend clay barring the Vibe before waxing it. Clay barring will remove all the stuck on junk and will give you a nice smooth surface for the wax. I use Mother's California Gold Clay Bar System. It's a little time consuming, but the end results are well worth it. I do this twice a year, once in spring and once in fall.

For further information on detailing, check out the Mother's Detail Guide and Wax Forum.

2009-2010 Vibe GTs did not come standard with wheel locks. There are OEM and aftermarket ones that will work though.

Let me know if you have any other questions ;)!
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

chappy wrote: A few noticeable cuts, dings, and scratches in the interior (front passenger, rear passenger, trunk). To me, it felt like the previous owner used it to haul stuff around. The rim of the spare tire had rust, the jack had rust, the metal part of the knobs that lock the trunk plastic parts had rust. From my understanding, those parts shouldnt have rust since it's inside and protected from the elements. CarProof didnt show many service records. Used car dealer also just replaced tires. Just didnt felt like the previous owner took care of the vehicle.
Sounds WAY too expensive then. I paid less than half of that ($3600 USD last December) for my 2003 in way better condition.

One problem with questionable cars from dealers if they have staff on hand to do what they can do hide defects. At least with a private party sale, they don't have a dozen or more people skilled at hiding problems.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Not only that Ben, buying a used car from a dealer is a dreadfully awful idea since they no nothing about a car's history. They know nothing about what conditions (where) it was driven, whether it was serviced, service intervals, whether it had ever been in an accident (unreported to worthless CarFax), whether bubba was mixing meth in the trunk, whether it was a smoker's car, whether skunks were transported to the local 4H contest...........and on and on and on. You will know when a used car for sale just happened to be one of the 1% that was serviced at that exact dealer when the price is marked up $4,000+ Stay away from dealers. Buy from an owner. If he is missing lots of teeth, then you may want to avoid the meth car. :twisted:
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I found it interesting that the Vibe has no ash trays. I'm not a smoker so I don't care, but yeah. I've never seen any car before without an ash tray at all.

Mine came from a private seller who had no records with it. But it was very clean besides the leaky timing chain tensioner o-ring (since fixed by me) with no obvious dripping or pooling of liquids on the bottom. The transmission splash guard was hanging down loose and making a horrible racket when the wheels were turned all the way, but a zip tie solved that. Seller wasn't even aware of it hanging loose until I pointed it out when I looked under the car. He probably thought a bearing in the transmission was going out.

The horn was also not working due to corrosion on the blade terminal at the horn itself, also an easy fix.

Between those two problems, I bet that is why the seller was getting rid of it. "Bad transmission problem and bad electrical problem! Time to sell it!" :lol:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

hell, I worked with one nut-job who traded in her car because the tires needed replacing.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I like my 2009 1.8L base Vibe; and I liked my 2003 1.8L base Vibe before that. But unlike my wife of 48 years I would not hesitate to get something different. Time marches on, and there is a lot to be said for something 6 or 7 years newer. A new car with 3 years warranty will cost you almost nothing for maintenance and repairs for maybe even 5 years. If you can't pay cash Interest rates on new cars are low. A Honda Fit or HRV, or a Mazda 3 might be a better choice in the long run. Explore the alternatives.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
chappy

Post by chappy »

jake75 wrote:I like my 2009 1.8L base Vibe; and I liked my 2003 1.8L base Vibe before that. But unlike my wife of 48 years I would not hesitate to get something different. Time marches on, and there is a lot to be said for something 6 or 7 years newer. A new car with 3 years warranty will cost you almost nothing for maintenance and repairs for maybe even 5 years. If you can't pay cash Interest rates on new cars are low. A Honda Fit or HRV, or a Mazda 3 might be a better choice in the long run. Explore the alternatives.
Fit, Mazda3, Forte5, Versa, iM, Focus hatch, Elantra GT doesnt allow me to sleep in the trunk when I go camping/road trip. It's too short. Only the Elantra Touring and Vibe/Matrix is long enough.
Mazda3 is actually long enough, but I'd have no head room.
I havent checked out the HRV or Impreza. I guess I'll do that some time for future reference.
That and I'm only spending 9000 CAD after tax.

If I couldnt find a hatchback that met those criteria, I would've just gotten a <3000 manual beater and drive it to the ground while I wait. Was considering an 2004-2012 VW Wagon for a brief period.

~~~~
Caretaker wrote:Not only that Ben, buying a used car from a dealer is a dreadfully awful idea since they no nothing about a car's history. They know nothing about what conditions (where) it was driven, whether it was serviced, service intervals, whether it had ever been in an accident (unreported to worthless CarFax), whether bubba was mixing meth in the trunk, whether it was a smoker's car, whether skunks were transported to the local 4H contest...........and on and on and on. You will know when a used car for sale just happened to be one of the 1% that was serviced at that exact dealer when the price is marked up $4,000+ Stay away from dealers. Buy from an owner. If he is missing lots of teeth, then you may want to avoid the meth car. :twisted:
BenWA wrote:Sounds WAY too expensive then. I paid less than half of that ($3600 USD last December) for my 2003 in way better condition.

One problem with questionable cars from dealers if they have staff on hand to do what they can do hide defects. At least with a private party sale, they don't have a dozen or more people skilled at hiding problems.
The car was lowered to 8500 CAD last I check and has been sold. So I'm assuming someone probably haggled that down to like 7000 CAD and it was worth it to them.
At least visiting those dealers first allowed me to practice inspecting cars and get a feel for used Vibes in the area so all was not lost.

~~~~~
vibenvy wrote:If the headlights and taillights are still nice and clear, I would just put a coat of wax on them every so often to help keep them protected. I've been doing this with our Vibes since we got them in 2009 and they still look brand new.

As others suggested on FB, SuperBrightLEDs sells warm white LED bulbs. There are also tons of places on eBay that sell them as well.

There are 2 map lights up front above the windshield that use #194 bulbs (assuming it has a sunroof). Than there is an overhead light between the front and rear seats and another overhead light over the rear cargo area. The latter 2 use #DE3175 (#31mm) bulbs.

Do not use dish soap. It will strip any wax on the paint. I personally use Mother's Caranuba Wash and Wax.

I personally use liquid wax because it's easier to work with. I use the complete Mother's Ultimate 3 Step Wax System twice a year and in between I use the pure caranuba wax (step 3).

I highly recommend clay barring the Vibe before waxing it. Clay barring will remove all the stuck on junk and will give you a nice smooth surface for the wax. I use Mother's California Gold Clay Bar System. It's a little time consuming, but the end results are well worth it. I do this twice a year, once in spring and once in fall.

For further information on detailing, check out the Mother's Detail Guide and Wax Forum.

2009-2010 Vibe GTs did not come standard with wheel locks. There are OEM and aftermarket ones that will work though.

Let me know if you have any other questions ;)!
I'm just concerned about the quality of the lights since I'll sometimes use the interior lights for an extend duration.
Bright would be nice, but then I'm worried about it overheating so high lumens are a concern.
How many lumens are the stock interior lights?

Ah! Those links help a lot! Thanks!
I think I'll just get one type of car soap. The wash+wax two in ones for use throughout the year. Then use the same car soap for fall and spring when I'll clay bar and wax.

DIdnt know I can just wax the housing for the lights. I thought I need those spray can clear coat things.

I'm assuming the alloys will be the same (wash and wax)? Sans the clay bar?
Also, what kind of alloys do the GTs have? Brushed aluminum? Chrome? Just want to know how to clean and protect it.
Will using the same car soap as above be sufficient?

~~~~

Caretaker wrote:Well, if you still haven't made the transaction yet and you need any advice on the Vibe versus the HET, I'd be glad to help you out since I own both of them. Just let me know.
Thanks!
Vibe is my first choice. ET is a close second.
The ET would've been a manual so power wouldnt be too much of a concern. It's only the fold flat cargo and parts availability that makes me prefer the Vibe more. And looks of the GT.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

The HET does fold "mostly" flat with just a slight incline up at the "head of the bed." Also, the front seats go almost all the way down and provide a nice comfy bed for sleeping as well. My HET also holds a lot more than my Vibe does and is much more versatile and much better appointed. The manual HET is a 5 speed vice the sometimes problematic 4 speed automatic. Hopefully my (now) second transmission will not give out now that Hyundai has a fully synthetic tranny fluid. Their OEM fluid, no longer used, was a good as water and caused lots of early transmission failures. Let us know what you end up with.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:I'm just concerned about the quality of the lights since I'll sometimes use the interior lights for an extend duration.
Bright would be nice, but then I'm worried about it overheating so high lumens are a concern.

Ah! Those links help a lot! Thanks!
I think I'll just get one type of car soap. The wash+wax two in ones for use throughout the year. Then use the same car soap for fall and spring when I'll clay bar and wax.

DIdnt know I can just wax the housing for the lights. I thought I need those spray can clear coat things.

I'm assuming the alloys will be the same (wash and wax)? Sans the clay bar?
Also, what kind of alloys do the GTs have? Brushed aluminum? Chrome? Just want to know how to clean and protect it.
Will using the same car soap as above be sufficient?
I have no idea how many lumens the stock bulbs put out. If you go LED, they will produce more lumens with little to no heat, so LED would be your best bet for long periods of use.

Waxing the lights will only work if the lights are still in good shape. If they have started to haze, waxing them will not reverse the hazing.

The OEM GT wheels have a polished face with gunmetal painted inserts. They have a clear coat on them. I clean them the same as the rest of the exterior, except I use a seperate sponge and I clean them last. Putting a coat of wax on them won't hurt them.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

chappy wrote: I'm just concerned about the quality of the lights since I'll sometimes use the interior lights for an extend duration.
Get this. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/523271/01036 Requires some modification of the dome light assembly with a hobby knife, which is easily removed. Many times brighter than stock.
2009 Vibe Base
chappy

Post by chappy »

No pictures yet. Too hot to stay outside during the day and spending time with family/friends during sunset.

First impressions after driving it longer than a test-drive. And I'm comparing it to mom's automatic 2014 RAV4 Limited.
-steering is heavier (it's harder to do one-handed turns)
-sensitive throttle (compared to RAV4's eco mode)
-middle arm rest is lower than I'm used to, considering getting the higher one in a thread I saw
-shifter is a bit more forward than I'm used to (GT is auto, but I sometimes rest hand on shifter)
-cabin noise is noticeably louder
-ride is bumpier/harsher
-I'm missing that lumbar support in the RAV4
-Fav radio stations is nice feature since I listen to AM and FM stations
-blind spot might be bigger than I'm used to...might
-I think I'm sitting too high as the rearview mirror blocked a car (but I jacked up the seat height high cause I'm used to the height of the RAV4)
-In general, I'm mostly nervous as I dont want to fall for the buying-someone-else's-problem since I opted for used instead of new.

Now that I cleaned the exterior, I noticed more paint chips, scratches, some small bubbling.
How do I go about fixing them? And which sub-forum is the best to post in?

Scratches fix as per this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYF46P7B2c
Pretty much sand-polish-wax.

Paint chips I'm assuming will require touch-up paint then sand-polish-wax.
Should I use spray paint or the pen/brush paint?
Paint chips mean exposed metal right? I'm using the correct term?

Bubbling in paint. Uhhh...no idea how to fix. I just hope it's not rust.

~~~~~
BenWA wrote:I found it interesting that the Vibe has no ash trays. I'm not a smoker so I don't care, but yeah. I've never seen any car before without an ash tray at all.
Mine comes with an ash tray.
It's like a cupholder ash tray thing that fits in the cup holder slot. Can remove if non-smoker.
Caretaker wrote:The HET does fold "mostly" flat with just a slight incline up at the "head of the bed." Also, the front seats go almost all the way down and provide a nice comfy bed for sleeping as well. My HET also holds a lot more than my Vibe does and is much more versatile and much better appointed. The manual HET is a 5 speed vice the sometimes problematic 4 speed automatic. Hopefully my (now) second transmission will not give out now that Hyundai has a fully synthetic tranny fluid. Their OEM fluid, no longer used, was a good as water and caused lots of early transmission failures. Let us know what you end up with.
Got the Vibe like 2 days ago.
I might be victim of the rough idle issue. If it doesnt damage the engine, I'll probably just live with it. The vibration is more of an annoyance at red lights than a concern. Having A/C on makes the vibration slight worse.

And apparently, my mechanic says that the condensed water from the A/C drips directly on top of the frame and caused some rusting already!! He added some piping or something so it flows elsewhere. But...Whaaa!?! Did not know that design flaw!!
vibenvy wrote:Waxing the lights will only work if the lights are still in good shape. If they have started to haze, waxing them will not reverse the hazing.

The OEM GT wheels have a polished face with gunmetal painted inserts. They have a clear coat on them. I clean them the same as the rest of the exterior, except I use a seperate sponge and I clean them last. Putting a coat of wax on them won't hurt them.
No haze. Replaced that burnt 7443 already and waxed all exterior light housing.

I havent cleaned the rims yet as there's quite a bit of curb rash. I only used the store bought spray-wait-rinse rim cleaner.
It'll probably require sanding down, polishing, clear coat to make it like-new condition. Will do that after I switch on winter tires+steel rims later in the year.
MacGyver wrote:Get this. https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/523271/01036 Requires some modification of the dome light assembly with a hobby knife, which is easily removed. Many times brighter than stock.
How do I access the bulbs? Too scared to forcefully explore the housings right now.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Open the dome light by inserting a fine slotted screwdriver into each of two very small openings on one long edge of the lens. Pry the lens out. You can even remove the entire housing by moving tabs now visible in the corners, and unplug it so it can be modified to accept an LED array.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

chappy wrote:-sensitive throttle (compared to RAV4's eco mode)
-middle arm rest is lower than I'm used to, considering getting the higher one in a thread I saw
-ride is bumpier/harsher
-blind spot might be bigger than I'm used to

No haze. Replaced that burnt 7443 already and waxed all exterior light housing.

I havent cleaned the rims yet as there's quite a bit of curb rash. I only used the store bought spray-wait-rinse rim cleaner.
It'll probably require sanding down, polishing, clear coat to make it like-new condition. Will do that after I switch on winter tires+steel rims later in the year.
As far as the throttle goes, I would contact a GM dealer and find out if any of the accelerator pedals recalls were done on it. Ours were both very touchy at first too, but the whole "unintended acceleration" debacle happened and we had the pedal "fix" followed by entirely new accelerator pedal assemblies which made a huge difference.

The higher armrest is a 1st gen (2003-2008) thing. AFAIK, it won't work on the 2nd gens (2009-2010).

The "harsh" ride is due to the OEM sport suspension and 18" wheels and tires. Not much can be done to reduce the harshness other than switching to smaller wheels. Keep in mind though, 16" wheels are the absolute smallest that will fit over the huge front brakes. We switch to 16" wheels with 205/55/16 tires for the winter months and while they do make a difference in the ride, it's not a huge one.

Get yourself some small round stick-on blind spot mirrors to add to the side mirrors. These have made a huge in decreasing the blind spots for us.

Glad to hear the lights are still in good condition and you got the bulb replaced.

You may want to look into having the wheels powder coated. It's a very durable coating and pretty cheap.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the Vibe when the weather cools down a bit.
chappy

Post by chappy »

MacGyver wrote:Open the dome light by inserting a fine slotted screwdriver into each of two very small openings on one long edge of the lens. Pry the lens out. You can even remove the entire housing by moving tabs now visible in the corners, and unplug it so it can be modified to accept an LED array.
4am here.
Just tried it out on the dome light. Got it off. Was gonna examine the insides, but the heat from the bulb convinced me to look at it when it's daylight.

Gonna try the same thing for the front map lights.

Hopefully the LEDs will be the lumens I'm expecting. If not, at least as bright as stock...
vibenvy wrote:As far as the throttle goes, I would contact a GM dealer and find out if any of the accelerator pedals recalls were done on it. Ours were both very touchy at first too, but the whole "unintended acceleration" debacle happened and we had the pedal "fix" followed by entirely new accelerator pedal assemblies which made a huge difference.

The higher armrest is a 1st gen (2003-2008) thing. AFAIK, it won't work on the 2nd gens (2009-2010).

The "harsh" ride is due to the OEM sport suspension and 18" wheels and tires. Not much can be done to reduce the harshness other than switching to smaller wheels. Keep in mind though, 16" wheels are the absolute smallest that will fit over the huge front brakes. We switch to 16" wheels with 205/55/16 tires for the winter months and while they do make a difference in the ride, it's not a huge one.

Get yourself some small round stick-on blind spot mirrors to add to the side mirrors. These have made a huge in decreasing the blind spots for us.

Glad to hear the lights are still in good condition and you got the bulb replaced.

You may want to look into having the wheels powder coated. It's a very durable coating and pretty cheap.

I look forward to seeing pictures of the Vibe when the weather cools down a bit.
The throttle recall should have been completed. I'm just used to the Eco mode on the RAV4. Like I can floor it and it'll only give me 4000rpm kind of thing.

Previous owner has the convex mirrors. I actually dont use them cause I have to focus on the distorted view (of the convex image) to see if there's a vehicle. That's time spent not looking elsewhere. I just expected a smaller blindspot compared to the RAV4 since the Vibe is a smaller vehicle. Minor issue since I change lanes well in advance.

Temperature was cool enough....BUT...poop...literally. Bird poop. I cant park anywhere else on the driveway because there's no room. I've been waking up to bird poop covered car these past days. Was considering car cover, but I know I'll end up dragging the cover on the car instead of rolling/placing it on and off.

PS. Very rough estimates currently gives me around 36mpg (6.5L/100km) for 95% highway driving. I'm suspecting I can reliably get 40mpg with the 1.8L. But the feeling of knowing the torque that's available...that I rarely use. Lol.