Soon to be part of the club. 04 vibe base

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Khaj

Soon to be part of the club. 04 vibe base

Post by Khaj »

Hello! I'm glad I have found this forum. I've been researching for a new vehicle and I made my decision based on reviews on different car sites and this one specifically. I've got a vibe picked out and the owner is holding it for me until I've got the money this week. 2004 Vibe Base automatic with 122k miles. I wanted a Vibe GT but I didn't have any decent ones in my area for the right price. I've seen one with 171k miles but I didn't want to get one with that high of miles right off the bat. What suggestions would you all make for a first time vibe owner? I'm considering changing out the suspension parts as I'm a pizza delivery driver and want a somewhat smoother ride. I'm also going to change the headlights to HID's for better vision at night. Thanks!
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base Auto
vibrologist

Re: Soon to be part of the club. 04 vibe base

Post by vibrologist »

Congrats! and welcome to the forum!

Your 04 base automatic is as close to bomb proof as it gets. Keep changes to a minimum because it keeps change in your pocket. I suggest you ask the seller for the mileage and date of the last maintenance for those items:
1. engine oil and filter
2. transmission fluid and ask which brand and type fluid he used. You need Toyota T-IV or equivalent, not GM stuff.
3. coolant flush. Again you need Toyota or Asian Formula stuff, not Dexcool.
4. spark plugs.
5. serpentine belt and tensioner
6. brakes and brake fluid.
You check without asking: the air filter and the cabin air filter.

If there is any doubt as to what was done when with what stuff it is advisable for you to do it right this summer.

Do not expect too much in terms of a smooth ride as you change the struts. I wanted a smoother ride and installed Monroe Quick Struts. They are smooth-er but not smooth. The Vibe has a harsh suspension and even the the Quick Struts don't change that. They do take the edge off the harshness compared to the original springs and struts. That's an early impression as i have only about 1000 miles on them. Switching from 16" to 15" wheels helps a bit as well.
I have no opinion on HiD lamps other than that they are too bright for me when they appear in on-coming traffic. I understand they are expensive too.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

I appreciate the input. I was planning on changing all the fluids right away. I know that the owner recently changed out the plugs and coils, so I should be fine that way. I'm just wanting something smart and safe when it comes to my line of work and driving my family around. I work at an auto part store, so parts and fluids are fairly cheaper for me. I've got HID's on my current vehicle and I enjoy the brightness that they put out. I don't have the funds to do projection lights, but I can afford the hid.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! DO NOT use HIDs without projectors. They will blind oncoming traffic which is very dangerous for you and everyone else on the road. Instead, be sure the headlight housings are in good shape i.e. no yellowing, clouding, hazing, etc. If they are not in good shape, replace them with new OEM housings. Aftermarket housings are junk. Next, get some Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. They are the best halogen bulbs currently available. Finally, get the headlights adjusted professionally by a body shop or other repair reputable shop.

Post some pictures of the Vibe when you get it ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

I appreciate it. I didn't know projectors made a difference for HID's. My 90 accord has HID's installed with no issues of blinding others on the road. I'm looking at getting those bulbs or LED's. From what I'm reading, I shouldn't need projectors for LED's. If I'm wrong, please let me know. I'm going to do LED lights all around just to make things nice and bright. I should be getting the car tomorrow night or Friday morning.. whenever money comes in. The hood has some fading on it from the wonderful Florida sun. What paint would be best to cover it up? It's a black 04 vibe.
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

Back to the drawing board. The guy that was holding the vibe ended up selling it to his cousin. What mileage would you not look at a vibe for? I know there are a few GT's in the area but they're higher miles around 180k.
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

Looking at this one. The owner has sent me better pictures and it's quite clean. I'd have to drive to go see it, but I'm interested. The miles are what scare me.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5606506352.html
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

2400 OBO sounds pretty good if that's all that is wrong with it I think, even with that mileage. I bought my 04 Base auto for $5600 after taxes, plate fees, etc. And that had about 167k miles on it.

Post by Khaj »

BustedVibe wrote:2400 OBO sounds pretty good if that's all that is wrong with it I think, even with that mileage. I bought my 04 Base auto for $5600 after taxes, plate fees, etc. And that had about 167k miles on it.
I'm actually looking at another vibe. 06 Vibe Base auto with 72k miles. I got the owner to meet me at $2700. http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5627771799.html
It has been in a small accident (side swipe) and has some cosmetic and non crucial mechanical issues (driver side window wont go down). I'm hopefully picking it up on Sunday. Once I have it and have a chance to really clean the baby, I'll post pictures. I'm quite excited. The owner says he'll hold it for me until Sunday since that's the only free time we both have together and he lives 2 hours north of me and I've shown much interest in his car. I'm bringing a friend with me that works on cars so we both can decide if it's worth it when inspecting it.
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

Good luck!