New to me 03 GT

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
RonB

New to me 03 GT

Post by RonB »

Hello, all

I just purchased an 03 Vibe GT that I ran across locally that was too good a deal to pass up.

It is Salsa red with faded gray cladding. It had 99,000 miles on it. It was very dirty, but drove like a new car (at least, compared to my old one).

Once I get it cleaned up, I will take and post some pictures.

I have liked the Vibes since they were first introduced, but never actually bought one before.

Yes, lift is very much addictive :D

This was purchased to be my daily driver (80 miles round trip) and autocross vehicle.

Before you all jump on me for choosing a tall vehicle for autocrossing, it is replacing a 1st gen Scion xB. I had to lower it to be able to participate at all, and even then it felt like it was on the edge.
Last edited by RonB on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
RonB
vibenvy

Re: New to me 03 GT

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Ron! 99,000 miles is nothing! Can't wait to see pictures!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Wecome, RonB!
As far as I learned the 03 GT is the one to have for lift addicts. At that low mileage you have way to go. It sounds like you found some cheap thrills.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Sounds like you found yourself a good car!
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Looking forward to some pics. Visit often :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
RonB

Post by RonB »

Thanks, all, for the welcome.

I really like the lift :D Not every commute has the chance, but it is welcome when it is possible.

I am pleasantly pleased with the fuel economy. My first tank returned 33 mpg, and my second is at 35 so far (compared to the EPA rating of 29 highway). If I had known that the GT could exceed its EPA rating by so much, I probably would have bought one years ago.

More later.
Last edited by RonB on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
RonB
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

RonB wrote: If I had known that the GT could exceed its EPA rating by so much, I probably would have bought one years ago.
It's the manual transmission AND smart shifting ;) My 2.4L manual is EPA rated at 21 city, 28 highway. I'm averaging over 29mpg combined and it's nothing for me to hit mid 30's when all highway driving. Love these cars 8-)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
RonB

Post by RonB »

I owe you guys a picture.

It's not very good, but here's the first one:

It is an 03 Vibe GT, Mica red, with sunroof and 16" wheels.

So far, I have caught up on maintenance, and added a trailer hitch (a Curt hitch specific to the GT). It hangs down a bit more than I like, but clears the exhaust without rubbing.

More to come (better pictures too, someday).

After 2100 miles, my average fuel economy is 30.9 mpg.
Regards,
RonB
trb

Post by trb »

Nice! Love the red color. It was what I wanted when I was looking for my last GT, but had to settle for a Neptune one that was really nice. Welcome and it sounds like you are enjoying it a lot. I only got about 24mpg in mine, but I admit, I hit lift a lot! :D
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Thanks for the picture! I am not typically a fan of red vehicles, but I do love Salsa (the "official" name for your Vibe's color)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Welcome Ron...I purchased my first Vibe from a coaxing mechanic of mine, which of course he has a 5 speed himself...lol
When I saw mine for sale and it being the GT,(taking it to them to inspect before purchase) I think my mechanic was a little jealous...hahaha
I am not fond of red color either but nice color on yours :) I had a 99 civic which was that metallic maroon color..CHOICE!!!!!
As far as the plastic molding, which i think it should have been painted, but I use that Wipe New on the trim and what a big difference it makes :)
So far I have added new front speakers (component), new aftermarket radio, a 10" pioneer woofer/amp, tinted all windows, except for the two fronts,window vent shades, bug shield,replaced front brakes/rotors,PCV,spark plugs and coil packs...I love my car :D
Attachments
Vibr GT 001.JPG
Vibr GT 001.JPG (115.05 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
RonB

Post by RonB »

I'm still enjoying it, but it hasn't been all "wine and roses" due to some needed repairs.

During an autocross a couple months ago, the clutch started to slip. I was too busy at the time to deal with it, so I dropped it off at the dealer for a replacement.

Then, this past weekend, it wouldn't start in the cold. It would crank, but no attempt to fire. After a couple hours, I diagnosed a marginal battery and replaced it. Better that it happened on a weekend than when I was trying to go to work, but it cost me another autocross :-(
Regards,
RonB