Lugage rack end caps...

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GOF

Lugage rack end caps...

Post by GOF »

How the heck do you get them off?!
jayoldschool

Re: Lugage rack end caps...

Post by jayoldschool »

You pry out and pull back. This will likely break one of the mounting clips. I lost one after removing my cross bars, so I glued the replacement in place with Ultra Black.
GOF

Post by GOF »

Thanks. Going to attempt it tomorrow.
I'll let you know what happens.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Don't know where you live, but if time isn't an issue, you could go to a Pick & Pull junkyard and "practice". I HAVE NEVER REMOVED A COVER, so FWIW, it appears to me that the cover needs to be "popped" Straight UP from the rear inorder to PULL the little Yellow Insert UP and OUT of it's Socket without busting the cover with any side to side or rear to front force. Good luck.
Could also talk to a GM Service Writer who may allow you to talk to one of their old Pontiac Technicians.
GOF

Post by GOF »

What a pain!Very carefully pried and pulled, wiggled and giggled. Finally got one to pop off. So started in on the other side. Got it lose. But cracker the stand that holds the clip. I little JB weld seems to be holding that just fine. But I am gonna grab extras net time I'm at the u-pull it yard.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

COOL! So what is the best way to remove luggage rail end-caps? Are the caps designed to be removed by lifting them straight up from the rear?
FeelTheVibe2004

Post by FeelTheVibe2004 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfR77ZVzOs
Just have to remember not to rush things.
Glad you managed.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Toyota Matrix XR
1996 Honda Accord EX
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Good video! The only thing I would do differently is spray WD-40 onto the "pylon/christmas tree" before applying force to remove the cover. Hopefully this would allow the cover to slip off the pylon easier. I got this idea after removing two covers at the Junkyard, one without breaking! As the video says, the plastic structure in the covers is very thin and fragile. I think there is a risk of breakage any time a cover is removed.