Belt Tensioner Pulley

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
snicol

Belt Tensioner Pulley

Post by snicol »

Hey guys,

There's lots out there about replacing the serpentine belt tensioner assembly on the 1ZZFE. Apparently the hydraulic cylinder sucks.

The hydraulic cylinder on my 2006 Vibe seems to be a-okay, but the pulley bearing isn't - it is noisy and runs loose and rough. The pulley with bearing (Dorman 419615) is sold at the usual suspects, but it is not clear how to remove the existing pulley. There is some kind of plastic cover, which may be integral to the pulley itself.

Does anyone know if this is bolted on from the other side, or if there is a removable cover to reach a fastener for the pulley/bearing? I'd much rather replace the $15-20 pulley/bearing than the $100+ tensioner assembly.

Thanks!
Scott
sideshowalan

Re: Belt Tensioner Pulley

Post by sideshowalan »

It's probably just a plastic dust cover over the bolt, all the replacement tensioner pictures show a standard bolt/pulley setup. Pick at the edges with a thin screwdriver and it should pop off.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

My Son just did this exact job on his 04 Base. Plastic cap pops off, revealing a Torx Bolt T-45 or so. Pulley can be changed without removing the Tensioner!
But from my Son's experience; You will find that the Pulley listed for this application Will Not Work! The actual bearing at the center of the pulley is too narrow at 12mm., causing the outer rim of the plastic pulley to interfere with the arm of the tensioner. My Son had to find a pulley with identical outer measurements, but with a 14mm. bearing at the center! He came up with and installed a Duralast 231133, which has a 14mm. center bearing! YMMV, but at least now you know what to do if the 419615 binds-up upon tightening. Good luck.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Chiadog wrote:My Son just did this exact job on his 04 Base. Plastic cap pops off, revealing a Torx Bolt T-45 or so. Pulley can be changed without removing the Tensioner!
But from my Son's experience; You will find that the Pulley listed for this application Will Not Work! The actual bearing at the center of the pulley is too narrow at 12mm., causing the outer rim of the plastic pulley to interfere with the arm of the tensioner. My Son had to find a pulley with identical outer measurements, but with a 14mm. bearing at the center! He came up with and installed a Duralast 231133, which has a 14mm. center bearing! YMMV, but at least now you know what to do if the 419615 binds-up upon tightening. Good luck.
Do you think there is or was suppose to be a washer installed b/t the center bearing and the tensioner body? I looked and see that most of the aftermarket pulley width are showing the 12mm. That sure would create some frustration to get the part and run into the same problem that your son did. Thanks for alerting us to this potential issue and the alternative part number.
2005 Base - 220k
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

The old pulley had a 14mm bearing and no spacer washer! The "oem" replacement Gates 38018 pulley came without a spacer washer and bound-up against the tensioner arm it mounts to. Several other oem replacements were researched and all indicated 12mm center bearing. Son then researched 70mm X 26mm idler pulley with 14mm bearing and found an identical match BMW bearing, Duralast 231133. It works!
I researched duralast 231133 on Autozone.com and found it fits: 2004 Toyota Corolla 4 Cylinders R 1.8L SFI DOHC, not sure how that relates to my son's 2004 Vibe base? 04 Vibe Base came with an 04 Corolla tensioner, junkyard replacement by last owner???? any ideas?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Take your pulley into a hardware store with you and get a washer that's close to the same size to that of the bearing. I did this on mine.

EDIT: typo
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit