Vibe low beam out: is it the same bulb as headlight bulb?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pointbob

Vibe low beam out: is it the same bulb as headlight bulb?

Post by pointbob »

Hi all

my Vibe low beam out (day time running light DRL): is it the same bulb as headlight bulb? if so - what is the part number? thank you!

also would this be similar to to stock OEM bulbs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-H4-9003-HB2- ... n~&vxp=mtr
tgsnellg75

Re: Vibe low beam out: is it the same bulb as headlight bulb?

Post by tgsnellg75 »

There is only the one bulb. Do the smart thing and change them both at the same time even if you stick to the stock bulbs. I learned this the hard way. My 2007 ate them so regular that I kept extras in the car. The 2004 seems better for some reason. H4 type, I bought them at walmart or ebay.
2004 GT
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

tgsnellg75 wrote:There is only the one bulb. Do the smart thing and change them both at the same time even if you stick to the stock bulbs. I learned this the hard way. My 2007 ate them so regular that I kept extras in the car. The 2004 seems better for some reason. H4 type, I bought them at walmart or ebay.
You are supposed to change all headlights in pairs. Otherwise you may end up one of the idiots on the road with a super bright light (maybe on high beam) on one side, with a very dim one on the other because they were too cheap to replace both.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Mark

Post by Mark »

To answer the OP's question, you need a pair of 9003/HB2 bulbs, and yes the link you posted are the correct ones and will work just fine. I'm a bit suspect of the price, though. A set of Silverstar Ultra's runs about $35-40 on Amazon, and closer to $45 in most part stores.

Not sure what you're getting for $4, but I guess you aren't losing much.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Knoxknight

Post by Knoxknight »

Yeah there is only one bulb in my 2005 at least not hard to change either
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Don't buy the tinted glass ones either. They reduce light output.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I highly recommend Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. They are the best plug-and-play halogen bulbs currently available.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

vibenvy wrote:I highly recommend Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. They are the best plug-and-play halogen bulbs currently available.
A bit less on Amazon, if you have Prime or an Amazon Locker nearby:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-V ... B00QJWUPC6
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

vibenvy wrote:I highly recommend Philips X-treme Vision bulbs. They are the best plug-and-play halogen bulbs currently available.
Just so everyone knows when making their bulb choices, these will have a shorter life. Many report that they burn out in a year so I just went with the traditional bulb.
2005 Base - 220k
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Jbenrod wrote:
Just so everyone knows when making their bulb choices, these will have a shorter life. Many report that they burn out in a year so I just went with the traditional bulb.
The Sylvania Xtravision is a good compromise between a brighter bulb AND good life. It's also much cheaper then the brighter, shorter life bulbs.

Their packages show it lasts half as long as "Standard" but twice as Silverstar and such:
http://rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2011/Rai ... ackBig.jpg

Sylvania's own promo stuff seems to show it does better downroad than the basic Silverstar. The Silverstar washes out the trees behind the arrow sign. The Silverstar Ultras don't but those will have the worst life. Havings bulbs that are too bright tend to bleach out road signs with too much light. Having had to turn down high beams on freeways to see the signs, I know this to be true. The promo chart shows it to some degree too:
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/image ... 81014e.jpg

Xtravisions are $15 on Amazon for a pair: http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-9003-Xtr ... B0012UK3M2
2003 Vibe Base A/T
pointbob

Post by pointbob »

Thanks everyone and will change both!