Two cars, one fob

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
wmdiess

Two cars, one fob

Post by wmdiess »

Sorry about the double entendre, I couldn't resist.

Owning an '06 Vibe and an '06 Matrix and noticing the key fobs are very similar (except the Toyota fob has a "panic" button), I said to myself "self, I wonder if I can program one fob to control both cars?"

I hopped into the Vibe with the Toyota fob, went through the whole key inserting/door closing ritual and programmed the Toyota fob to work in the Vibe. Now I carry two keys but just one fob. If the cars are parked next to each other I can lock or unlock them simultaneously.

No, I don't get out much.

Bill
BenWA

Re: Two cars, one fob

Post by BenWA »

Makes sense. A friend's mom has a Sienna and he was looking for a matching fob. I looked mine up and it has a Toyota # on it as I recall, just no Toyota logo.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

What happens when you leave in the morning and you forget to relock the other car you left in the driveway? Also, where do you live? ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yes, but if you hit the lock-door-button twice, I'm guessing only one of them will BEEP. Why the Corolla assembled right in front of my Vibe got the "Toyota beep" and my Vibe didn't is still a mystery to me. Sure would make finding my car in a crowded airport parking garage a lot simpler.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:What happens when you leave in the morning and you forget to relock the other car you left in the driveway? Also, where do you live? ;)
I just know this would happen to me... although, I'm intrigued by the idea.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Derf

Post by Derf »

wmdiess wrote:Owning an '06 Vibe and an '06 Matrix
Good to know the keyless entry system is roughly the same between makes. I can see a mad scientist laboratory being setup in your garage. Now you just need a Corolla to add to the mix... Franken Vibe.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
trb

Post by trb »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:What happens when you leave in the morning and you forget to relock the other car you left in the driveway? Also, where do you live? ;)
If they are both like my 03 GT, the car you don't open the door on will lock the doors again after about a minute or two. I think it is set up so you don't accidentally unlock it when you didn't mean to. The first time mine did it I thought I hit the lock button again, but that was not the case. I don't know if my son's is set up the same way.

This is a neat idea for sure. Back in the day, we had two Fords and I had one key cut to fit both locks, one cut on each side. I marked the key so I knew which side opened which car. I wonder if the Vibe key works the same way and you could use one key cut with both patterns and one fob for both cars? I'll have to ask my locksmith about it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

trb wrote:
If they are both like my 03 GT, the car you don't open the door on will lock the doors again after about a minute or two. I think it is set up so you don't accidentally unlock it when you didn't mean to. The first time mine did it I thought I hit the lock button again, but that was not the case. I don't know if my son's is set up the same way.

This is a neat idea for sure. Back in the day, we had two Fords and I had one key cut to fit both locks, one cut on each side. I marked the key so I knew which side opened which car. I wonder if the Vibe key works the same way and you could use one key cut with both patterns and one fob for both cars? I'll have to ask my locksmith about it.
Forgot about that. You're absolutely right. Mine will lock back up. The thief will have to be quick! haha
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

In my experience, my 06 base doesn't relock if the door isn't opened. My wife's 05 Corolla does, though... maybe this would work for me. ;-)
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

I live in Iowa. Low crime & both cars are garaged, so I'm not too worried.

Yes, the Toyota beeps but not the Pontiac.

One other interesting thing. The Pontiac alarms when I press the panic button, just like the Toyota.

Bill
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

runningslow wrote:In my experience, my 06 base doesn't relock if the door isn't opened. My wife's 05 Corolla does, though... maybe this would work for me. ;-)
I'm driving the Corolla for a few days, so I figured I'd give this a shot and I now have my Vibe Fob programmed to work with the Corolla. So happy. No more key in the door (its a pain to turn, because it has been rarely used in 11 years) and I don't have to carry a second fob.

Next step... the double sided key. :twisted:
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum