Anybody replace alternator,water pump:220k on my Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
powervibe

Anybody replace alternator,water pump:220k on my Vibe

Post by powervibe »

I am debating driving my 2006 Vibe another 8k for the summer, replacing the beloved car in August. I have 220k on the car and would probably put another 8k on before selling the car in August. Bought it new in 2006; I have done all the proper maintenance, with only brakes, two front (l and r) bearings, serpentine belt, and tires being replaced (and anti freeze, transmission fluid as well as oil of course.) IF YOU HAVE A VIBE WITH THIS KIND OF MILEAGE, HAVE YOU REPLACED YOUR ALTERNATOR, WATER PUMP, HEAD GASKET,STARTER, FUEL PUMP...or anything I need to be worried about if I drive it another 8k? I even have the original shocks/struts and thermostat! A little advice from my friends ASAP please-thanks! :!: :!: :!:
gtv237

Re: Anybody replace alternator,water pump:220k on my Vibe

Post by gtv237 »

They seem to hold up remarkably well. I've seen people go 300k with only basic maintenance.
powervibe

Post by powervibe »

Thank you! Anybody with specific replacement of alternator or water pump? My GM dealer who does my service says he can't recall, maybe one or two done in his years servicing the Vibes.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Vibes do hold up extremely well. Unless I was driving across the country, I wouldn't even consider replacing these parts! Brand new parts fail with some regularity - not to mention incidental "Mechanic" induced failures.
Knoxknight

Post by Knoxknight »

I have a 2005 and I bought it for 800 dollars with 188,000 and am now up to 209,500 and have only put a starter in it and spark plugs other than lights and oil and other basic stuff
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Replaced water pump in a relatives 2008 vibe approx 2 years ago, don't know the mileage....less than 100K. It failed slowly, just got louder and louder over a few months.

No reason to replace alternator or water pump unless they fail.

Water pump will fail by leaking or making loud growling noise, alternator will fail by failing to charge the battery while driving causing a stall.

Replacing your thermostat at the next coolant change wouldn't hurt, also recommend replacing your power steering fluid. Suck out what you can from the reservoir with a turkey baster and replace with dex III transmission fluid. Do that once a week for a month and it will help your power steering rack last longer.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

powervibe wrote:HAVE YOU REPLACED YOUR ALTERNATOR, WATER PUMP, HEAD GASKET,STARTER, FUEL PUMP
I've done all of the above on Toyota Matrix. Not mine, did them for friends. I don't replace parts recreationally, only when the car tells me they need replaced. My money says you make your last 8K without replacing any of them.

Bill
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

I usually replace the alternator brushes around this mileage if I am keeping the car long term. They are less than $15 and then I don't worry about it again. For example, I recently noted on my 4 cyl. Camry that the alternator brushes looked like they could have made it to around 260k miles (my guess) when I changed them out at 235K miles.

So I agree with Bill that you probably will not have a problem with the alternator during the time period you mentioned.

The starter contacts are another item that I tend to replace about this time but would not in your case.
2005 Base - 220k
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

New DENSO alternator or DENSO rebuilt.

New AISIN water pump. Toyota owns both. AISIN brand water pumps are much cheaper and usually just have "TOYOTA" ground off. My oil pump had both AISIN and TOYOTA on the original. The new one had most of TOYOTA ground off for a savings of about $130 via rockauto.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
finebead

Post by finebead »

sideshowalan wrote:Replaced water pump in a relatives 2008 vibe approx 2 years ago, don't know the mileage....less than 100K. It failed slowly, just got louder and louder over a few months.

No reason to replace alternator or water pump unless they fail.

Water pump will fail by leaking or making loud growling noise, alternator will fail by failing to charge the battery while driving causing a stall.

Replacing your thermostat at the next coolant change wouldn't hurt, also recommend replacing your power steering fluid. Suck out what you can from the reservoir with a turkey baster and replace with dex III transmission fluid. Do that once a week for a month and it will help your power steering rack last longer.
Wife's 2009 vibe with 75,000 on it, started making noise, took to the shop. Alternator and water pump needed replacement, I asked them to do the serpintine belt while at it. They charge about $500 for the whole deal. The mileage is not that high, but the wife has to idle a lot, takes her 45 min. to go 14 miles one way to work. Idle for several light changes at several intersections. The engine probably has wear like it went 150K miles.