Airbag Recall- Dealer Necessary?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
edennis

Airbag Recall- Dealer Necessary?

Post by edennis »

I bought a used 04' vibe recently and it needs the airbag recall fixed. I don't have the paperwork that originally described the recall. Do I NEED to take it to an official GM dealership for it to be free? Or will the company pay a difference garage to handle the recall?
Sorry if this is a silly question- I would just prefer not to deal with a dealership if possible, especially because apparently the local GM dealership near me has horrible reviews via google.

Thanks,
Eric
Caretaker

Re: Airbag Recall- Dealer Necessary?

Post by Caretaker »

A dealership with bad ratings????? NO WAY !!!! :lol:
Yeah, I'm afraid you will have to go through a GM dealer. I'm not sure even a Toyota dealer would touch this delicate an operation given that lives are at stake.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Yes, these recalls are done by the GM dealers. Is there another dealer with better reputation not too far away? If so call them and give them your VIN so they can order the correct parts. Once they have it in make an appointment.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

vibrologist wrote:Yes, these recalls are done by the GM dealers. Is there another dealer with better reputation not too far away? If so call them and give them your VIN so they can order the correct parts. Once they have it in make an appointment.
The "good rated" GM dealer (3.5/5 on Yelp) I used tore up several things on my car doing the recall.

The OEM stereo screen was only half lit after they had their hands on the car:

They cut the carpet with a box cutter as a shortcut. They kept insisting that it was a "seam" that just came apart.

The O/D off button wires were ripped out from the button and stuffed back in the shifter, making O/D come and go randomly as they bounced together and apart:

Plus the drop open compartment wasn't reinstalled properly until I took it back and complained.

I found out about the O/D thing much later, so I couldn't call them on that at the time. They sent me a $100 check to remove a scathing Yelp review, under the guise of compensating me for the stereo. Once I found out the O/D switch thing, I went back and edited it again to complain about the O/D wires, with that same picture posted on their Yelp page.

For now I have just separated the wires so O/D is on like it should be, but I have no switch to turn it off/on. I also removed the button switch from the shifter. I need to go to a junkyard and get a replacement some day.
Last edited by BenWA on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
edennis

Post by edennis »

now i'm even more worried... I guess I have no choice though.
The reviews for this dealership talk about the employees screaming at customers and flipping them off when they wouldn't buy a car, haha.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Take pictures before, with time stamp. that gives you evidence.
Tell the people you are a stickler for getting it done right, including all fasteners put back in place.
If you can talk to the guy doing the job and if it's done right give him $10 cash.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

BenWA

Post by BenWA »

edennis wrote:now i'm even more worried... I guess I have no choice though.
The reviews for this dealership talk about the employees screaming at customers and flipping them off when they wouldn't buy a car, haha.
Drive 30 mins to another dealer if needed. I did that for a Ford dealer for cruise control recall repairs on a van I had. Later on I bought a second transponder key from them for a used Taurus I bought. The local Ford dealer wanted $125 plus programming fee for a key. The one 30 mins away only charged $50 including programming.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

This is why I keep putting mine off. Tempted to just disconnect the airbag and be done with it. I spent most of my life without one already. When I went in for their window recall and their temp airbag recall, they f'ed up a bunch of stuff. Only caught part of it at the time and was moving that week so never got to go back and finish up my rant.

If and when I do head in to a dealership, I will be standing right there the entire time. That's what they've earned and what they'll be dealing with. I'd do the damn recall myself if they'd give me the parts. lol
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Same here with putting it off so far. I'd be livid to have the type of damage BenWA has shown on his car. Can a dealership actually be that incompetent and believe that is acceptable to the customer?

I've read others have had the airbag dash light to come on days after the recall replacement when the light had never been on before. Then the same dealership wants to charge you before they will even read the code that they appeared to have cause. I think I would be ready to hand them their faulty Takata air bag and then hit the ignite button. :twisted:

BTW, on my 2005 it is only showing for the passenger side that is to be replaced. Does anyone know does that mean the drivers side has a different inflation module? It would seem that they would have used the same supplier and for the same model run but I guess there must be a difference for them to not be concerned about the drivers side?

Here is what I have read below about this subject today. One has grounds for concern and mistrust as these are some creepy people:

According to documents reviewed by Reuters, Takata says that rust, bad welds, and even chewing gum dropped into at least one inflator are also at fault. The same documents show that in 2002, Takata’s plant in Mexico allowed a defect rate that was “six to eight times above” acceptable limits...

Takata knew about the airbag issues in 2004, conducting secret tests off work hours to verify the problem. The results confirmed major issues with the inflators, and engineers quickly began researching a solution. But instead of notifying federal safety regulators and moving forward with fixes, Takata executives ordered its engineers to destroy the data and dispose of the physical evidence. This occurred a full four years before Takata publicly acknowledged the problem.
2005 Base - 220k
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Considering the seriousness of the recall where some people have had their throats cut by debris, killing them, I'd rather have a bit of damage by an incompetent dealer than the risk of being killed by crap in the airbag(s?). It's easier to fix a car than a sliced neck.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
edennis

Post by edennis »

That... is a good way to look at it.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

In the news today is another life lost due a Takata inflator rupture. It was a crash where she should have walked away. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/consumer ... d=38230647

So sad.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

ColonelPanic wrote:In the news today is another life lost due a Takata inflator rupture. It was a crash where she should have walked away. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/consumer ... d=38230647

So sad.
Indeed. While I hate what the dealer did to my car -- and assuming they really did all the work they were supposed to -- it's better to have no O/D off until I replace the switch at my expense (self installing) than to have a dangerous airbag that could kill me.

You would be better off with no airbag (with seat belts on) than to have a bad airbag in it.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

This might also be of interest to some people:

Toyota is conducting a limited regional recall for certain 2003-'05 Toyota Corolla, Matrix, Sequoia, Tundra, Lexus SC 430 and Pontiac Vibe vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands and equipped with Takata passenger-side airbag inflators. Read More
2003 Vibe Base A/T
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

I was wondering about the drivers airbag myself. The most recent person killed by the Takata inflator was because of a drivers airbag, but in a Honda Civic. Is the Vibe drivers airbag not recalled because nobody has died because of the Vibe drivers airbag inflator yet?
I read that some airbags were inadvertently going off in humid regions. BenWa's post shows all humid regions. The humidity could create oxidation on connectors over time. Because of this I figure it can't hurt if I run my defroster on max when it's raining or humid outside. Here's what BenWa posted "Toyota is conducting a limited regional recall for certain 2003-'05 Toyota Corolla, Matrix, Sequoia, Tundra, Lexus SC 430 and Pontiac Vibe vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands and equipped with Takata passenger-side airbag inflators."
vibrologist wrote:Take pictures before, with time stamp. that gives you evidence.
To make those time stamps even more credible compose an email with the pictures attached to it. Then send it to yourself. The email date and time will back up the date on the pictures. Be sure to save that email in a safe folder where you won't delete it accidentally!
Last edited by 2005AWD on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

Have people been able to simply make an appointment and get the airbag replaced? I received a letter about the recall, but it said I would be contacted at a later date to set up an appointment. That was a year ago and there has been no follow-up.

Bill
2005AWD

Post by 2005AWD »

Hi Bill! I received the same letter as you did a year ago. That was kind of like "Your car may kill you, but we'll get back to you when we have the stuff to fix it!" Since that letter, about three months ago I received a letter that says they are ready to fix only the passenger airbag. I haven't done it yet, but I've received two little post cards that are reminders that I haven't had it fixed yet.
edennis

Post by edennis »

I called my local GMC dealer- the said they needed to order the parts and it should take about a week for them to arrive. But yes, they should do it now if the parts are available.

Unless they are just saying that in a scheme to- you know- break my car.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I just picked up my Vibe after completion of the passenger air bag inflator replacement. I was treated with utmost courtesy including shuttle service to and from work. The job seems to be done correctly.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

BenWA

Post by BenWA »

2005AWD wrote:I was wondering about the drivers airbag myself. The most recent person killed by the Takata inflator was a drivers airbag, but in a Honda Civic. Is the Vibe drivers airbag not recalled because nobody has died because of the Vibe drivers airbag inflator yet?
I'm just speculating: Maybe the driver's side airbag in the Vibe was made in a different factory where quality control was much higher, where as the Civics was not.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
wmdiess

Post by wmdiess »

BenWA wrote:I'm just speculating: Maybe the driver's side airbag in the Vibe was made in a different factory where quality control was much higher, where as the Civics was not.
I just read last night that while Toyota is part of the recall, none of there vehicles have been involved in injuries. Tacata did such a terrible job with records that they can't even tell the car companies who received what. This forced them to expand the recall to a much larger pool.

Bill
edennis

Post by edennis »

Well, just to confirm- got my car back from the dealership after getting the airbag and some part of the seat belt restraint fixed on recall. Got in the car and... the radio lights are all off.

I think I saw a thread on here somewhere about how to fix this- just a fuse maybe? I guess they were messing with electronics doing the fixes. Ugg.

Eric
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

edennis wrote:Well, just to confirm- got my car back from the dealership after getting the airbag and some part of the seat belt restraint fixed on recall. Got in the car and... the radio lights are all off.

I think I saw a thread on here somewhere about how to fix this- just a fuse maybe? I guess they were messing with electronics doing the fixes. Ugg.

Eric
I don't think we can blame the mechanics for the light bulbs to burn out. That is a known defect in the radio and it happens any time.

In the "Maintenance Bay" you will find "The New How To Index..." and in there you find this: Radio Lights: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26889#p305136

It's not a fuse and done. You have to solder in new light bulbs.

Have fun. It's worth it .
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

edennis

Post by edennis »

That makes sense- but it does seem a little coincidental that yesterday the lights worked before going into the dealership- and now they are out.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The filaments inside get weaker and weaker. Maybe the mechanic had to move the radio or bumped against it somehow and that made them finally break.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

JerBear

Post by JerBear »

IDK if the recall requires them to remove the radio but it is not necessary to service the airbag. The glovebox is all that is removed and then three bolts hold the airbag. it comes out the top of the dash. If you have not already replaced the bulbs in your radio info panel consider yourself lucky. our family has four vibes and I have replaced the backlights on the oldest two (04 - 07) and need to replace them on my wife's (07) mine is an 09 but the radios in the Gen 2's don't see to have problems yet. I just replaced my son's heater door blend actuator, that was not difficult but was a pain. Too tight an area for my sausage fingers. I was told that it could be done through the glove box but I couldn't do it, I had to take the airbag out and then it was easy.
kontinuous

Post by kontinuous »

The parts for the recall on my 2003 have been on back order for a couple of months now. I feel pretty good about just seat belts verses airbags and shrapnel. Has any one else considered disabling the air bags until some better ones come in? I saw a disable procedure, but I suspect the car would not run properly if mentioned fuses and components are left disconnected.
2004 Vibe AWD
2005 Vibe Manual, SOLD :(
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

I've been putting mine off too. I got another card the other day reminding me. Front Passenger Air Bag Inflator and Supplemental Restraint System Air Bag Control Module are listed.

I don't want to end up with a messed up car so I gotta figure out how to take timestamped images on my phone, or maybe dig out an old camera that can do it.. Also don't want to be without my car for a day or whatever :lol:

What bothers me is when I had my deer impact, I was easily going somewhere between 45 - 60 mph (not sure which) when it jumped out and got struck with the front center/drivers side of the car. Airbags never deployed.

My passenger airbag door on the dash also rattles over bumps and stuff (its secure, it just rattles for no reason), which is kind of annoying. Anyone ever had that problem? I don't want to get the car back and its worse because of worn out mounts or some weird thing.

Post by vibrologist »

Take pictures and send them to yourself by email. The emails are time stamped.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

These bags can kill you. Go get your recalls done. Take pics, do whatever makes you feel better, but go get it taken care of.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Here's some great reading for everyone...

http://jalopnik.com/the-complete-story- ... 1780143347
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

That's horrible

Post by BenWA »

jayoldschool wrote:Here's some great reading for everyone...

http://jalopnik.com/the-complete-story- ... 1780143347
Lack of corporate oversight and regulation at work.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Wow crazy.
Toyota just added another 1.6 million cars to the recall, including the 2009-2011 Corolla and Matrix. Anyone hear any news for recalls on the 09-10 Vibes? can't seem to find any comment from GM...
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Just keep running your VIN on the GM recall website. It'll show up there first.