Bought 2004 w/ bad 5 speed tranny (did not know)

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
c3VIBE

Bought 2004 w/ bad 5 speed tranny (did not know)

Post by c3VIBE »

I bought a 2004 5 speed built for Canada with Kph instead of Mph on outer dial. Anyway, could not test drive above 3rd due to no plates. Got plates drove it, 3rd, 4th & 5th all had a whine to them. From what I read it was bearings and others had problems with this trans. $3200 to have a reman installed. Thanks to Genvibe I just tackled and finished dropping the trans, installing new clutch & throwout, turned flywheel and having the transmission rebuilt. Also did new struts, links, rotors, pads, clutch slave cylinder, intake manifold gasket, plugs, thermostat & rad. fluid. Also, this is crazy, it has a block heater?! :shock:
jayoldschool

Re: Bought 2004 w/ bad 5 speed tranny (did not know)

Post by jayoldschool »

Don't have that trans rebuilt. Swap it for a 6 speed!!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. With all that work done to it how much did it set you back $$$ ? Did you pretty much get the car for free seeing how it needed so much work done to it? Great to see you save it from salvage :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You should start a thread in the Garage Forum to document all the work you've done and do in the future to your "new" Vibe. Be sure and post some pictures too ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage