Why is my car squeaking?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
LightTrails

Why is my car squeaking?

Post by LightTrails »

Seems to be coming from the back, maybe the hatch area. Only happens at faster speeds greater than 40mph I'd say. I've tried to replicate the noise by pushing or pulling on any part of the car back there that might be loose with no success. Checked under where the spare tire is and everything feels solid. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Video of the noise here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swweoijx52okl ... M.mov?dl=0
Caretaker

Re: Why is my car squeaking?

Post by Caretaker »

I can't hear any squeaking when I listen to the video; sorry. As for the first generation Vibe, the tensioner pulleys operating the seat belts always squeak in these cars. I'd also go back to the spare tire and make sure the screw is down TIGHT. Any loosening of that screw holding down the spare tire will make it jump over small bumps and create noise. Also make sure the lug wrench and jack are secured and not banging up against other metal parts. You can also push on the plastic trim pieces making up the C pillar; the fit and finish on these cars wasn't the greatest either and plastic parts rubbing together at the joints also causes squeaking.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Sounds like some exterior trim shifting in the wind.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Is the glass hinge part of the hatch loose? My mom's 03 Taurus wagon has a similar style hatch that opens two ways; glass only or the whole thing, and one side of the glass-only hinge has come loose some and squeaks/rattles. I told her to take it to to an auto glass shop to have them tighten it up but she hasn't ever done it, I don't think. Hopefully her back glass doesn't fall out one day while driving down the road...
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Had to use headphones to hear it, but it's there.

Was the blower on for the vent/AC? If so, I'd bet that there might be some debris in the filter that is making that noise.

Also, many of us have a broken filter door and it could be letting stuff contact the fan.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

This is an 09-10 right? I hear that noise in my car as well, I've chalked it up to that storage management thing in the back, even though it locks down it can still slide and move little bit.
LightTrails

Post by LightTrails »

Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

This is an 03 AWD.
I've cranked the spare wheel down and made sure the lug wrench and jack aren't the issue. The glass doesn't feel loose to me.
My blower door is definitely malfunctioning but I'm not sure that's the issue as the squeaking seems to be coming from the back. Unless I have the circulation on it will begin to click until I press the button again (I hope that made sense, I've read about this exact problem others have experienced on this forum)

My next move is to have someone else drive and I get in the back hatch / cargo area and try to pinpoint where the squeaking is coming from. Stay tuned.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

jake75

Post by jake75 »

Funny thing, as I got older the squeaks in my Vibe lessened. But the speakers on my tv must be getting worn out as i now have to turn the volume higher.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

My blower squeaks a little and sometimes I shut it off to be sure it's not the engine since it's often on for heat, at least since I got the car in December.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Had another thought- could it be the belt tensioner pulley?

Try opening the hood while parked and listening while the engine is revved at 1,000 rpm.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Derf

Post by Derf »

That does sound annoying. Sounds high pitched, more like glass or metal rubbing than plastic trim. I noticed the rear hatch access panel is popped loose, did you have it removed to check on the rear lock mechanism? It sounds to loud to be from outside the car, but is the rear license plate tight and does it have a rubber strip under the bottom to keep it from rubbing against the hatch?
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

jake75 wrote:Funny thing, as I got older the squeaks in my Vibe lessened. But the speakers on my tv must be getting worn out as i now have to turn the volume higher.
:lol: :lol: I can relate!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
FeelTheVibe2004

Post by FeelTheVibe2004 »

Maybe looking in the back as you drive isn't the best way to drive around...lol
I'd still bet it's the spare tire clamping...even tightened down...sounds like a metallic squeak.
That kind of sound can drive a person craaaaazy over time. I've ridden in a few of my hatches to find a squeak...was almost always the spare clamp. Spray some penetrating oil on that and grease up your door lock hinges and hatch latch. If that doesn't fix it, eventually you'll zero-in on the problem.
Good luck!
2004 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Toyota Matrix XR
1996 Honda Accord EX
LightTrails

Post by LightTrails »

UPDATE!

I've located the cause of the squeak to a screw/fastener in the back hatch area passenger side panel.

Photos in the link attached: squeaky screw and the driver side equivalent screw to show the difference and what I assume is aftermarket parts and repair on the squeaky side.

It's a dark and tight squeeze to get my hands in there but the squeaky screw isn't loose or wiggling but maybe the metal pieces underneath are. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6el12l5t4s4u ... WSIba?dl=0
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The side panels are easy to take out if you need easier access. Remove the 4 D-rings and they will come out.

The screw has been put in from the outside. I suggest you look from underneath the car to see what it holds. You can find inexpensive plastic fasteners at Lowe's. NAPA has a good assortment too.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Jojomerk

Post by Jojomerk »

I've been trying to locate the source of a persistent squeak in my 2010 Vibe for over a year. Finally, I discovered the squeak was coming from one of the plastic turn latches over the spare tire compartment. Specifically, the passenger side latch, which locks when rotated counter-clockwise, was not properly locked. This latch is equipped with a spring-loaded locking mechanism. Once I twisted the latch, the spring engaged, and the squeaky noise stopped immediately after securing the latch.