Best Car I Have Ever Owned

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tots

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

Post by tots »

My 2004 is the best car I have ever owned. It has been *very* reliable, everything is original except for tires and battery. The check engine light is on, and indicates it's the cat, but the no complaints. The total cost of ownership has been very low and I still get 35+ mpg. I am thinking about a new car, maybe the totally redesigned 2016 Chevy Cruze. Will be hard to say farewell to an old friend for sure.
My Vibe: 2004 Base, Fusion Orange, Mono, ABS, Power.16" Alloys, Factory Alarm, Side Air Bags. Cargo Box
vibrologist

Re: Best Car I Have Ever Owned

Post by vibrologist »

....to no one's surprise.

Consider:
A new catalytic converter is cheaper than a new car. Besides, a bad converter is just an excuse to finally modify the exhaust system. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

God, not the Cruze. Please. Given your current automobile, why not go with the new Scion/Toyota iM? Looks good and is basically the VIbe/Matrix replacement and will probably be far more reliable in the long run. Has been great for a buddy of mine as a daily.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:God, not the Cruze. Please. Given your current automobile, why not go with the new Scion/Toyota iM? Looks good and is basically the VIbe/Matrix replacement and will probably be far more reliable in the long run. Has been great for a buddy of mine as a daily.
Toyota is dropping the Scion line. Might get a good deal on a closeout, like I did on my 2010 Vibe.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
tots

Post by tots »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:God, not the Cruze. Please. Given your current automobile, why not go with the new Scion/Toyota iM? Looks good and is basically the VIbe/Matrix replacement and will probably be far more reliable in the long run. Has been great for a buddy of mine as a daily.
Did you have bad luck with a Cruze? Have you seen the totally redesigned 2016, available starting next month in dealerships.
My Vibe: 2004 Base, Fusion Orange, Mono, ABS, Power.16" Alloys, Factory Alarm, Side Air Bags. Cargo Box
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you've enjoyed your Vibe so much! As others have already said, I personally would just replace the catalytic converter and continue driving it. Just my $0.02 though.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

tots wrote:
Did you have bad luck with a Cruze? Have you seen the totally redesigned 2016, available starting next month in dealerships.

Tots: following your posts you seem to have two criteria regarding your car: high reliability and low maintenance cost. A newly designed car coming from the first year of production tends to be the least reliable one of the series. The last year of production tends to be the most reliable. Whatever you choose I suggest checking with TrueDelta.com to get up to date repair information.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

tots

Post by tots »

vibrologist: Sure, I am aware of the potential risk of buying the 1st year of a new model, but my 2004 Vibe was just the 2nd year of a brand new model and fortunately it turned out to be a great car. In any case my original post said I was thinking about buying a new car and maybe the Cruze; I'm certainly willing to take a look. I think Subaru makes good cars that are worth a look as well. When I bought my Pontiac, and the one before that (a Grand Prix), and the one before that (a Grand Am) reliability was not the key motivator for me, I just liked what the brand had to offer. It's a shame the brand is gone.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Now I understand you better.

I have taken a Grand Am 3.1 for a spin. It was already old. I liked the way it drove, but the seats were completely worn out. I was sitting on steel pipes. but I could sense how nice it was when newer.

I once rented a Grand Prix and I loved it! Everything felt just right. The 3800 is one of the greatest engines ever. I too think that axing Pontiac was a shame.

All the best and keep us posted!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

No way for me to be familiar with the new for 2016 Cruze, but I know the history of every single model leading to it, plus experience with more than one version of it. It's more than enough for me to stay away. (I'm not even taking into account GM's recent sordid history.)

Other reasons are mentioned above already. First model year, etc. And using your experience with the Vibe/Matrix to quell any fears of first year reliability is misleading for you. The Vibe is one of the most well known, reliable autos there is. The numbers prove it. Guaranteed that will not be the case with the Cruz. That being said, if everyone bought a car based solely on reliability and no other criteria, we'd all be driving 90's Corollas. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage