new 03 vibe owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
djk44883

new 03 vibe owner

Post by djk44883 »

I recently purchased an 03 Pontiac Vibe last month. First came across this board and got some background and figured I'd find answers I'd need. I've been driving for a month now and am happy with it.

It has ~134k miles on it. Primary use is a 28 mile round trip to/from work. Filled the small tank and calculated 29.51 mpg!! Figured winter in norther Ohio (or anywhere) would have a negative impact.

Of course, with any car you'll have minor annoyances, but no big hassles. I like that it's small with out feeling small. And that last time I have a 4 cylinder (longer than I can recall) ...you press on the accelerator, hear the engine make a lot of revving noise and wait for it to get up to speed. The small engine doesn't haven much problem getting up and going. (even though I'm generally a conservative driver anymore)

Thanks for the help you've already given
DJ
vibenvy

Re: new 03 vibe owner

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe DJ! Congratulations on your "new" Vibe! Post some pictures of it when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

djk44883 wrote: Figured winter in norther Ohio (or anywhere) would have a negative impact.
Say what ??? where you located ??? Update profile please. Oh & welcome to GenVibe :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the Vibe family!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome. I think I picked up my GT w/about 130k. Been great after catching up on maintenance. Fun, efficient daily driver.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
djk44883

Post by djk44883 »

I've had my Vibe for 6 months now, still happy with it. Just got the first 3K oil change. Averaging 30 - 31mpg the past several fill-ups -- very happy with this.

Have had a mishap. Front spring has a piece broken at the base. Makes a loud noise when I make a hard or tight turn. Considering the labor, most likely have struts replaced. Don't notice anything driving but I know I shouldn't put it off.

Enjoy Vibe driving! :D
DJ
djk44883

Post by djk44883 »

3 years later... still going. Some 168k miles, still no major repairs... well I changed the from break pads. Was surprised caliper wasn't seized by the looks of the rotor. When reassembling, it wouldn't fit. Discovered the "slider pin" was seized, not ideal used one new pad one old pad. I figured it had been like that long before I found it.

Ok, realistic, the rotors should have been replaced and the rear are likely shot. Just not putting the $$ into it at this point. It's not a primary everyday car. It stills seems to run great otherwise. I've had a couple newer, higher-end vehicles that have had more hassles in repairs.

These rather basic economy car, still getting ~28mpg, is great!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

glad the car is still great for you! Hopefully it doesn't rust out on you like many cars here in the PA-OH-NY area do. i would have used the new pads, and just rehabbed the slider pin. many times simply pulling it out, sanding the pin down, and cleaning up the hole, grease, rubber boot, etc. and it would be fine afterwards.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe