Just bought my first Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JMcQ11

Just bought my first Vibe

Post by JMcQ11 »

Monday I picked up an '06 Salsa Base with the cladding. It has 95,000 miles and comes with all service records since new. Got it from the original owner. Been driven by an older lady since new. So far I love the car and get much better gas mileage than what I'm used to. I'll post pictures this weekend after I get a chance to clean it for the first time. The car has a slightly rough idle so I'll be doing a throttle body cleaning, TB gasket, intake manifold gasket, and new plugs hopefully this weekend too. I just stopped into Toyota and they acted like they couldn't help me since they wanted the vin number of my vehicle. I told them I have a Vibe and not a Matrix then basically said they couldn't do anything for me unless I have a Toyota Vin or the part numbers. I did a few searches on here for the correct part numbers to use but could only come up with the intake manifold number. 17171-22060. I'll be getting NGK plugs from an auto parts store. But should I get the 5 or 6 temp plugs? And what is the correct Toyota part number for the TB gasket? I've already found out a bunch of great info on the site so thanks to everyone for all their knowledge on the info I've already read!
mr.clutch

Re: Just bought my first Vibe

Post by mr.clutch »

JMcQ11, Congratulations on your purchase. If you are going to buy from Toyota it is easier to get a vin from a Matrix of the same year I got mine from Auto Trader it is for a 08 VIN 2T1KR32E88C716445. Most things are similar between 06 - 08 Vibes. Good Luck Mike
PS... Do the IM Gasket and related first you will be amazed at the difference.
JMcQ11

Post by JMcQ11 »

mr.clutch wrote:JMcQ11, Congratulations on your purchase. If you are going to buy from Toyota it is easier to get a vin from a Matrix of the same year I got mine from Auto Trader it is for a 08 VIN 2T1KR32E88C716445. Most things are similar between 06 - 08 Vibes. Good Luck Mike
PS... Do the IM Gasket and related first you will be amazed at the difference.
Thanks for the idea of using an online VIN. I'll do that!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! It certainly sounds like you found a real gem of a Vibe! I look forward to seeing pictures.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to GenVibe!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on your first Vibe! I'm currently on my second one, well third one if you count my son's Vibe since it was the first one we bought! :D
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
JMcQ11

Post by JMcQ11 »

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately its been raining every day over the weekend and today so I haven't had a chance to wash it and get some pics but I did get the throttle body pulled off and cleaned and installed the new tb gasket. I changed the plugs even though when I pulled the ones that were in the car they were already NGK iridium's. Didn't have time to change the intake manifold gasket because of an alumni basketball game I had that I forgot about. It'll be swapped soon though before the cold really hits. BUT the cars idle is night and day. There is no more rough idle and vibration while stopped at a red light is completely gone. So I am even more happy with the purchase of the car.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear with a little time and elbow grease, the Vibe is running better for you!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Sounds like you got yourself a good deal there. Maybe you need a few more weekends to upload your pics :lol: Looking forward to them. Also your location ??? update profile for us. Great site here so don't become a stranger.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome to the site!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage