Exhaust

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
hguyer13

Exhaust

Post by hguyer13 »

so my 2006 vibe awd 1.8 l exhaust rots out and breaks around the muffler and at the bend where its a seperate pc..my local mavis muffler shows me the exhaust all one pc? from exhaust manifold through bend pc including cat converter?? tells me he cant get any aftermarket parts must order oem through pontiac at 1600 dollars?? lol i told him with a laugh yea ok drop the car i will rig something up to replace bad sections of pipe?? any suggestions on what works best .. at some point im in upstate ny alot of snow and salt used....grrr the cat converter and muffler will rot out...has anyone ran into this same problem with the awd 2006 ??? thanks for all the input
ehoff121

Re: Exhaust

Post by ehoff121 »

Unfortunately, yes.

My 2005 AWD has the same problem.

There are not many aftermarket options available, I'm afraid. Seems the majors didn't put much effort into bolt on solutions.

If the pipe is rotted just around the connection and there's enough left to patch it (i.e., it's not completely broken off), I used a heat cured putty to fill the holes: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-18003- ... B0084AA2LK

It may take a few tries to fill them, so don't use it all right away. The force of the exhaust can blow some of the uncured putty out of the holes, so put something underneath to catch any drips or you could try wrapping it with foil.

Haven't done it yet, but there are sellers on ebay for the complete pipe assembly between the manifold cat and the muffler (Davico brand) from $310 - $480 delivered. Look up "2006 Pontiac Vibe AWD exhaust".

The bolts at the joints will be pretty rusted, so you may need more parts to do this yourself...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

IDK how different the AWD exhaust is from FWD but try www.rockauto.com the whole exhaust should be less than 500 and that may even include the manifold. Give them a try.

http://www.rockauto.com
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

JerBear wrote:IDK how different the AWD exhaust is from FWD but try http://www.rockauto.com the whole exhaust should be less than 500 and that may even include the manifold. Give them a try.
The 1st Gen FWD, AWD, and GT have different exhausts and are not interchangeable. :D
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

A 'real' exhaust shop is one that can bend tube and can make what you need generally.
You will still pay a good price for them to do the work, but 500ish worst case, not 1600

You can try patching, but it is temporary and can be a PITA depending on how bad things are.
They make a putty (that can blow out) and also a repair wrap (that you can use to hold the putty in)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Shouldn't be more than $300-350 for aluminized steel crush bent
hguyer13

Post by hguyer13 »

Patched the holes up in the pipes had them welded up.. quiet again for now but my mechanic said start looking for exhaust from cat back..?? yea good luck .. not alot out there and what i can find is super expensive...What really r the differences between the 3 models?? base gt and awd?? could replace cat back on a base model for around 220... through local advanced auto..but they dont show anything for the awd?? ...really could use some help finding a decent priced replacement exhaust for this awd ..thanks???
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I find it's cheaper to purchase the piping and have it custom installed by an exhaust shop or equivalent. It generally doesn't take much to fab up an exhaust. I'm sure you can have a shop provide the piping for you, too, but at a greater cost. If you find a shop who's willing to do this but charges you as much as purchasing a ready-built exhaust, run the other way. Good luck.

Another thought, if it's just a section of piping that's bad, have that section cut out and a new piece either welded in or attached using exhaust brackets and/or sleeves.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage