I crashed my 2009 Vibe GT =( ... now looking for another...

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mrbravo2000

I crashed my 2009 Vibe GT =( ... now looking for another...

Post by mrbravo2000 »

So I haven't been on the forums b/c I just chill at the FB site.

So here it was when I got it just over 3 years ago...

and this AM...

(Man, I really loved it... look at how clean my seats were, I kept it nice...)
(seats were down, you can see my bike in the background...)

So a guy cut in from the right lane to the center lane (my lane) and then tried cutting immediately to the next (left) lane to make it to teh HOV Lane entrance and I hit him left center rear. Then he took off; I was left in the center lane. The car still runs and I was able to get off the highway to a nearby parking lot. I already called the insurance and all that... expecting a total loss.

So, I love my Vibe and want another... I saw none in my area. I found this one who referred to the forum on his CL Post...

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5252761237.html

I'm interested but need more info (specs, miles, etc.) and did a quick search but couldn't find it.

Lastly, here's the other one.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 5822&Log=0

Anyways, I lurked for 5 months before I bought this one and used the info from this site... Any help would be appreciated!
trb

Re: I crashed my 2009 Vibe GT =( ... now looking for another...

Post by trb »

Oh man, that stinks! With the airbags blown they might likely total it, but I bet it will be rebuilt if they do. I don't know if you saw, but my 2010 GT twin to yours was totaled in June of last year. My daughter got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of her. They figured over $11K of damage, but I got $12,870 for it. I paid $12,400 for the car 2-1/2 years prior, so I drove it for free essentially.

I know that GTs are hard to find down here. I had to get the 10 GT from Corsicana, and my current 03 GT from San Antonio. If you want another GT, you will most likely have to travel for it. I run searches every couple of weeks just to see what is available for the heck of it in a 500 mile radius. I'll keep my eyes open for you, and good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
mrbravo2000

Post by mrbravo2000 »

I remember man... that was painful to see, I thought to mysel "That could be me..."

Now it is.

Any insight on the total loss process?

You're right about the Vibe GT's scarcity; I'm researching prices in preparation for the total loss argument. The car is a rarity in that regard.

I bought mine for 8800 or so (KBB 12500) & was almost done paying it off (1700 left). From the research, I can expect 6500 offer but in its condition I'm going to push for more. Any suggestions?
trb wrote:Oh man, that stinks! With the airbags blown they might likely total it, but I bet it will be rebuilt if they do. I don't know if you saw, but my 2010 GT twin to yours was totaled in June of last year. My daughter got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of her. They figured over $11K of damage, but I got $12,870 for it. I paid $12,400 for the car 2-1/2 years prior, so I drove it for free essentially.

I know that GTs are hard to find down here. I had to get the 10 GT from Corsicana, and my current 03 GT from San Antonio. If you want another GT, you will most likely have to travel for it. I run searches every couple of weeks just to see what is available for the heck of it in a 500 mile radius. I'll keep my eyes open for you, and good luck on it!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

aw that's terrible. sorry for your loss. she was such a nice clean car, young and red.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Sorry for you loss on a well kept GT

Not every state or insurer will allow you to buy back your totaled car, although you could probably follow it to whatever auction yard it ends up in. It can also be difficult and/or expensive in certain states to get a rebuilt vehicle re-titled, so you'll have to do some research. You'll also need a backup vehicle for quite some time, and know a good shop that won't give you a lemon with lots of little problems. Since you have access, getting it to possible mechanics to give you an idea would help.

To find out what you'll get, unless you have a special rider for full replacement or riders for some addons, they do a local search on used models like yours and give you the average price, adjusted if they can't find similar options or mileage locally. With the net now, you can do the search yourself to get an idea.
Sadly you won't be able to get any credit for taking care of your car, the same way it's impossible to get much extra when you trade it in. Hopefully there won't have been any lowball sales recently.

I've won and lost the total game. Had a couple low ball sales when my car was totaled and got above value for my motorcycle loss because it happened at the start of summer when prices are high so I made quite a bit of $, and they covered all mods I supplied receipts for at 90% (no labor but I did the work)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Sorry to hear about the Vibe, but glad to hear you're already planning on getting another one if need be. Definitely keep us posted ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

ctgottapee wrote:Sorry for you loss on a well kept GT

Not every state or insurer will allow you to buy back your totaled car, although you could probably follow it to whatever auction yard it ends up in. It can also be difficult and/or expensive in certain states to get a rebuilt vehicle re-titled, so you'll have to do some research. You'll also need a backup vehicle for quite some time, and know a good shop that won't give you a lemon with lots of little problems. Since you have access, getting it to possible mechanics to give you an idea would help.

To find out what you'll get, unless you have a special rider for full replacement or riders for some addons, they do a local search on used models like yours and give you the average price, adjusted if they can't find similar options or mileage locally. With the net now, you can do the search yourself to get an idea.
Sadly you won't be able to get any credit for taking care of your car, the same way it's impossible to get much extra when you trade it in. Hopefully there won't have been any lowball sales recently.

I've won and lost the total game. Had a couple low ball sales when my car was totaled and got above value for my motorcycle loss because it happened at the start of summer when prices are high so I made quite a bit of $, and they covered all mods I supplied receipts for at 90% (no labor but I did the work)
He's in Texas, so he's on his own. There insurance company is not on the line to provide a rental or replace the car. He'll probably get fair market value,and maybe sales tax title, and license costs, so he can buy another car.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Nasmfell wrote:
ctgottapee wrote:Sorry for you loss on a well kept GT

He's in Texas, so he's on his own. There insurance company is not on the line to provide a rental or replace the car. He'll probably get fair market value,and maybe sales tax title, and license costs, so he can buy another car. A win for the Insurance company.
trb

Post by trb »

What's the mileage on it? I pulled estimates for good condition retail sales with 75K miles from edmunds.com, kbb.com, nadaguides.com and averaged them together and my average was $53 more than the insurance company offered to me. I was happy with it and did not argue. I don't know if the fact that the driver that hit the car had State Farm also, and I've been a customer of theirs for over 30 years had any influence, but anyway it was painless like every other claim I've had with them. They took a long time to decide to total it and I ended up being able to get a Grand Caravan rental for our vacation to Florida for only $120 extra! :D

And remember, they need to give you enough to buy a replacement vehicle, plus sales tax, title & license fees, so you are looking at retail value, not trade in or private party. I ended up with a settlement of about $13,750, less my payoff of about $7K. That was only 16 months ago.

They did offer to let me keep the car for about $1300. I seriously considered it, but didn't know if I would buy a base Vibe to transfer all the GT stuff over. And the bumpers were both shot.

I did see a nice orange 2010 GT listed on cars.com locally for about $12K, 65K miles. If it really was a manual, I'd be looking at it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Ouch that hurts to see those images. I hope you can find another one soon and get several more years out of it.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

If you do, stay away from 2010 models. Reason, NUMMI was shutting down, GM and Toyota pulling out, workers were losing their jobs, so very little incentive, other than getting paid, to build a quality product.
trb

Post by trb »

There aren't many 2010 GTs out there for sale, probably 85% to 15% 09 vs 10, but FWIW, my 10 GT only had 3 broken radio knobs in it's 75K miles and almost 5 yrs of life.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

I know of a 09 vibe on the lot of the dealership I work at in the Waterford, MI area. Was around 60,000 miles on it when they replaced the engine, now should be around 20,000. http://www.lunghamerbuickgmc.com/Vehicl ... 2628886063

PM me if anyone would like more info
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

TraumaForYou wrote:I know of a 09 vibe on the lot of the dealership I work at in the Waterford, MI area. Was around 60,000 miles on it when they replaced the engine, now should be around 20,000. http://www.lunghamerbuickgmc.com/Vehicl ... 2628886063

Any idea why the engine was replaced with such low mileage? Sounds pretty sketchy to me personally. Just curious...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

TraumaForYou wrote:I know of a 09 vibe on the lot of the dealership I work at in the Waterford, MI area.
Wow ... That's a rare totally stripped, bare bones Vibe they are selling! Might be able to get that one for $5000 cash !!!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

vibenvy wrote:
TraumaForYou wrote:I know of a 09 vibe on the lot of the dealership I work at in the Waterford, MI area. Was around 60,000 miles on it when they replaced the engine, now should be around 20,000. http://www.lunghamerbuickgmc.com/Vehicl ... 2628886063

Any idea why the engine was replaced with such low mileage? Sounds pretty sketchy to me personally. Just curious...
Cant quite remember why. I can find out though