Finally introducing myself and my Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Melissa18L

Finally introducing myself and my Vibe

Post by Melissa18L »

Well here she is. Brought her home 6 years ago. Fell in love with the color and replaced my '96 Grand Am with this '05 Vibe.
Wow, is she dirty! I like turtles...
My custom exhaust, lol.
I just ordered from www.dipyourcar.com. These wheels need work. So ugly. Hopefully it goes well. I also plan on either blacking or whiting out all the badges and grills and tinting at least the back windows.Image
I also need a new foglight! Which oops you can't see in the pic. Did I mention how dirty she is!
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
vibrologist

Re: Finally introducing myself and my Vibe

Post by vibrologist »

Hi Melissa18L. Thanks for the pictures. This Vibe certainly has seen its unfair share of road salt. Your Vibe shows some character too. I like it.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibrologist wrote:Hi Melissa18L. Thanks for the pictures. This Vibe certainly has seen its unfair share of road salt. Your Vibe shows some character too. I like it.
Aw. Thanks. Yeah, PA winters. My family has been in PA since before the Revolutionary war! It's in my blood, part of my soul. I will just have to deal with the salt. Do you think that's what messed up the wheels, too?
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

I love that color, it looks great in the sun and one that you don't see too often!
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

JerBear wrote:I love that color, it looks great in the sun and one that you don't see too often!
There's another orange one I pass every day. Just like mine except his has steel wheels and hubcaps and he painted his calipers or brakes or whatever orange. I actually talked to him a few times.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Melissa18L wrote:
vibrologist wrote:Hi Melissa18L. Thanks for the pictures. This Vibe certainly has seen its unfair share of road salt. Your Vibe shows some character too. I like it.
Aw. Thanks. Yeah, PA winters. My family has been in PA since before the Revolutionary war! It's in my blood, part of my soul. I will just have to deal with the salt. Do you think that's what messed up the wheels, too?
Yes. The salt got under the clear coat on the wheels and is corroding away on the aluminum. Mine are doing this too. I don't worry about it. However, if you loose air pressure it could be that the corrosion is at the seat of the tires and the valve stem and causing slow leaks. On my wife's car I fixed the leaks this way: I had the old tires taken off and took the rims home. I sanded the corrosion off at the seats of the tires and at the valve holes. Then I sprayed the areas with Krylon Acrylic, clear. Next day I had new tires and valves installed. The slow leaks were history.

The only way to fight the salt is frequent washing in particular in the winter.

I find it cool that you can trace your family history that far back. I just watched a Benjamin Franklin Biography on History Channel last night. Are you a Franklin by any chance?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibrologist wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:
Yes. The salt got under the clear coat on the wheels and is corroding away on the aluminum. Mine are doing this too. I don't worry about it. However, if you loose air pressure it could be that the corrosion is at the seat of the tires and the valve stem and causing slow leaks. On my wife's car I fixed the leaks this way: I had the old tires taken off and took the rims home. I sanded the corrosion off at the seats of the tires and at the valve holes. Then I sprayed the areas with Krylon Acrylic, clear. Next day I had new tires and valves installed. The slow leaks were history.

The only way to fight the salt is frequent washing in particular in the winter.

I find it cool that you can trace your family history that far back. I just watched a Benjamin Franklin Biography on History Channel last night. Are you a Franklin by any chance?
three of my tires have slow leaks! i finally took it back to the garage and i believe they fixed them. they must have cleaned the inside before reinstalling the tires. It had been years and I ruined a tire for driving it with 20lbs or air for oh about 2 years...yes, i'm a slacker. So, yeah. I think I've washed my car maybe a dozen times, in 6 years!!
No, not a Franklin as far as I know. The key last names in my ancestry are Anderson, Lang and Gregory.
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! That is a nice Fusion orange you have there. It would fit in real well down here in Texas since it it the UT Longhorns color! :lol: One of my sons has already told me he wants a Vibe this color.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

trb wrote:Welcome! That is a nice Fusion orange you have there. It would fit in real well down here in Texas since it it the UT Longhorns color! :lol: One of my sons has already told me he wants a Vibe this color.
oh...it is fusion, but the color is sundance? too many names...
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

Melissa18L wrote:
trb wrote:Welcome! That is a nice Fusion orange you have there. It would fit in real well down here in Texas since it it the UT Longhorns color! :lol: One of my sons has already told me he wants a Vibe this color.
oh...it is fusion, but the color is sundance? too many names...
Hey...it is fusion orange AND moon and tunes! i had no idea i had that package. check it out....
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad you finally found and joined us after 6 years! Very nice looking Fusion Vibe you've got there! Thanks for posting pictures of it right away ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! Glad you finally found and joined us after 6 years! Very nice looking Fusion Vibe you've got there! Thanks for posting pictures of it right away ;)!
thanks! yeah i figured i'd never actually get around to washing it so just went with how she usually looks ;)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Melissa18L wrote:thanks! yeah i figured i'd never actually get around to washing it so just went with how she usually looks ;)
You're welcome!

form < function :D
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

vibenvy wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:thanks! yeah i figured i'd never actually get around to washing it so just went with how she usually looks ;)
You're welcome!

form < function :D
i like that! (form < function) :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Melissa18L wrote:i like that! (form < function) :)
LOL! Thanks!

When I had my 2002 Sunfire GT, I used to obsess over keeping it clean and I would freak out if I noticed even the smallest rock chip or anything on it. We've had our Vibes for just over 6 years now. They've been through 6 Chicagoland winters and are holding up very well, but they both have their (un)fair share of rock chips, etc. I realized a long time ago, when you daily drive a vehicle, it's going to get rock chips, etc. and it's going to get dirty. I wash the Vibes maybe once a month or so, which is not nearly as much as I did the Sunfire. I have come to realize there is no sense in fretting over rock chips, dirt, etc. because they're going to happen no matter what. They're daily drivers, not show cars. I also always think of a sign I saw at a car show once; "I may not be perfect, but at least I get driven. Trailers are for horses!" :lol:

Hence... form < function!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Another official WELCOME to GenVibe Melissa ;) Nice job posing the pics for us. Also your window sticker is interesting too. What's interesting is that your 4 year younger Vibe than mine, costs more then compared to what my MSRP was. And I have the GT trim to boot! They must not have raised prices much on this car over the years (unlike trucks :x ) The 2010 model year (very short lived) had the "ignition Orange metallic" color and is very rare. Only seen one in person and wanted this color soooooo bad BUT was not available in the 2009 model year!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

tpollauf wrote:Another official WELCOME to GenVibe Melissa ;) Nice job posing the pics for us. Also your window sticker is interesting too. What's interesting is that your 4 year younger Vibe than mine, costs more then compared to what my MSRP was. And I have the GT trim to boot! They must not have raised prices much on this car over the years (unlike trucks :x ) The 2010 model year (very short lived) had the "ignition Orange metallic" color and is very rare. Only seen one in person and wanted this color soooooo bad BUT was not available in the 2009 model year!
Thanks! This is a fun community. ...of course, Vibes are so fun! I definitely didn't pay that much for my Vibe since I got it used, but it was the first car I ever bought from a dealership and got a loan for! The original sticker came with it which is always neat to see. I had the window sticker for my '96 Grand Am, too. It was over $16K new!