2nd Gen vs 1st in long term reliability

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
RedLaser

2nd Gen vs 1st in long term reliability

Post by RedLaser »

I'm looking into getting my girlfriend a 2009 1.8 base Vibe and wanted to know if the drivetrains on the 2nd gens are performing as well long term as the 1st gens. I have a 2006 base Vibe with 216000 miles with all original drivetrain. Motor still runs clean with no oil loss. I even run conventional 5W-30 PYB and it runs like a dream. Can I expect the same from the 2009 2nd gen and the newer 1.8-2ZR motor and body? If anybody with a high milage (120,000+) 2nd gen could chime in, I would really appreciate it.
Nasmfell

Re: 2nd Gen vs 1st in long term reliability

Post by Nasmfell »

This one is easy, Yes. If you had the 2.4 it would be a little different, due to the oil issues. Same 1.8 is still used in the Corolla, all these years later if you needed further reassurance about it. Keep up on maintenance like any other engine,and you should be good to go. One thing, though, the PCV valve and hose are under the intake manifold cover so that would have to be removed to check on those items. Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment, Good luck.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Is "One thing, though, the PCV valve and hose are under the intake manifold cover so that would have to be removed to check on those items. Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment" a comment favoring the 2nd gen Vibe (2009/2010).
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

Nasmfell wrote:This one is easy, Yes. If you had the 2.4 it would be a little different, due to the oil issues. Same 1.8 is still used in the Corolla, all these years later if you needed further reassurance about it. Keep up on maintenance like any other engine,and you should be good to go. One thing, though, the PCV valve and hose are under the intake manifold cover so that would have to be removed to check on those items. Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment, Good luck.
i've had my '05 for 6 years. i really stretch out the oil changes because i'm a slacker...usually around 13,000 miles i change it. i have over 170,000 on it (120,000 are mine) i've never had any problems engine wise except one of the cylinder coil things? can't think of it. easy fix though. sorry not enough coffee yet. replaced 3 wheel bearings which were a pita.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

jake75 wrote:Is "One thing, though, the PCV valve and hose are under the intake manifold cover so that would have to be removed to check on those items. Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment" a comment favoring the 2nd gen Vibe (2009/2010).

Yes.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Melissa18L wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:This one is easy, Yes. If you had the 2.4 it would be a little different, due to the oil issues. Same 1.8 is still used in the Corolla, all these years later if you needed further reassurance about it. Keep up on maintenance like any other engine,and you should be good to go. One thing, though, the PCV valve and hose are under the intake manifold cover so that would have to be removed to check on those items. Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment, Good luck.
i've had my '05 for 6 years. i really stretch out the oil changes because i'm a slacker...usually around 13,000 miles i change it. i have over 170,000 on it (120,000 are mine) i've never had any problems engine wise except one of the cylinder coil things? can't think of it. easy fix though. sorry not enough coffee yet. replaced 3 wheel bearings which were a pita.

That's really good. :)
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

220k on 2009 2.4L AWD and no issues

PO had no problems. Only thing I've found going over it with fine tooth come is rear AWD transfer case leaked a little oil, not sure why.
Still has original alternator and starter as well.
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

Nasmfell wrote:
Melissa18L wrote:

That's really good. :)
Engine coil! That's what it was. Fixed it in a parking lot but I could have made it home in "limp home mode"
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nasmfell wrote: Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment, Good luck.
I'd sort of agree with you AND in reality you're probably correct .... BUT ... not according to the owners manual. Read below at the 60,000 mile interval. It is vague and not specific to which engine. Probably one of the many errors in our owners manual!

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

tpollauf wrote:
Nasmfell wrote: Flip side, there is no need for valve clearance check and adjustment, Good luck.
I'd sort of agree with you AND in reality you're probably correct .... BUT ... not according to the owners manual. Read below at the 60,000 mile interval. It is vague and not specific to which engine. Probably one of the many errors in our owners manual!

Image[/quote

Thank you, That is interesting. It probably is a mistake. I'm pretty sure Toyota changed to hydraulic lifters for the 2009 and later 1.8 and 2,4 engines.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

my alldata online repair guides has detailed instructions for valve clearance check and specs for the 2.4L - they are taking the data from toyota so i'd guess the 2.4 still needs checked.

I didn't bother checking when I had the valve cover off as the check is pretty easy if you have the shim tool, but the replacement is pretty intense requiring removal and matching of the cams and chain, etc, so there isn't really a point in doing it unless you have problems and are kinda forced to do it.
The guide quotes the labor as 12 hours
jake75

Post by jake75 »

At that point I am probably getting something new.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

ctgottapee wrote:my alldata online repair guides has detailed instructions for valve clearance check and specs for the 2.4L - they are taking the data from toyota so i'd guess the 2.4 still needs checked.

I didn't bother checking when I had the valve cover off as the check is pretty easy if you have the shim tool, but the replacement is pretty intense requiring removal and matching of the cams and chain, etc, so there isn't really a point in doing it unless you have problems and are kinda forced to do it.
The guide quotes the labor as 12 hours

Ironically, (or not) checking the clearances on the 2ZZ is easier.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Ironically, (or not) checking the clearances on the 2ZZ is easier.
The YAMAHA 2ZZ head is really complicated, so definitely ironic.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Link to some links I posted a while back on the different engines. The diagrams are really interesting:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38761
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.