2006 pontiac vibe intermittent extended crank, hard start

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
borsheim1983

2006 pontiac vibe intermittent extended crank, hard start

Post by borsheim1983 »

Hello.
My wife's 2006 Pontiac Vibe recently started to have an issue with intermittent extended crank and is often hard to start. It always starts, but one out of six times it will crank without start.

At first, not knowing what the issue could be, I had the alternator tested and it tested bad. I originally thought this was the problem.
I attempted to remove and replace the alternator, but the bottom mount bolt refused to give and I snapped two sockets on it. So I took it to a mechanic I know and trust and before replacing, he tested the alternator good with his test equipment. 14 volts going to alternator. So we left original alternator in. Two days later, same extended crank issue. I had the alternator tested at two different Autozones, both tests bad with 12.87 volts going to battery. So, I had the alternator changed, after bench checking the new one before installation. After installation, the car started fine. Again, two days later, extended crank with start on second attempt. I drove the car for a couple days and had one incident of extended crank. My wife again drove later and it extended cranked two times during her shopping excursion.
I again tested the alternator at one Autozone location bad, this time showing it was calling out the generator. The Autozone guy wasn't happy with me testing it again, not to mention requesting him to bench check the original alternator that I still had in the box in the back seat, but I wanted to eliminate bad actors. So I left Autozone #1 being told my generator was bad. Not convinced, I went to Autozone #2 across town and had the test done again....this time, it tested good, supplying 14 volts.

I am convinced I have an intermittent issue with the charging system. I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the extended crank starts......but it may. Thoughts? Other reading I have done points to ECM/PCM or EFI fuse. Suggestions? Thoughts? Recommendations?
Borsheim1983
runningslow

Re: 2006 pontiac vibe intermittent extended crank, hard start

Post by runningslow »

My only thought would be to ask if the Vibe has had the ECM recall done?

There's a PDF attached in the linked post below that can walk you through checking.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43694&p=504637&hil ... ll#p500359

If that's not it, I don't really have any other suggestions. Sorry.
Hopefully someone else will chime in, too.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
lannvouivre

Re: 2006 pontiac vibe intermittent extended crank, hard start

Post by lannvouivre »

There is a TSB that addresses this.
05-06-04-074C Intermittent extended crank at operating temperature. It requires a PCM update, which is $140 where I live.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
getmoresoon

TSB 05-06-04-074C Re: 2006 pontiac vibe intermittent extended crank, hard start

Post by getmoresoon »

Thank you for the TSB number and title! My daughter just bought her '06 Vibe and it had already had its ECM replaced long ago under recall. She was almost immediately after purchase complaining about the hard start issue once the car was warmed up .. I was just poo-pooing her away saying that's probably normal. Whod a thunk it?)

Here's my contribution back to the group. :D This was hard to find (and then reformat!! Sorry.. some of the intents don't want to line up right, but its good enough to walk in the dealers door with.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Engine Control Module: All Technical Service Bulletins
Engine Controls - Intermittent Extended Crank/Hard Start
TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 05-06-04-074C

Date: May 24, 2010

Subject: Intermittent Extended Crank, Hard Start, Engine Cranks But No Start When Engine Is At Operating Temperature (Hot Soak) (Reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Models:
2005-2006 Pontiac Vibe
Equipped with 1.8L Engine (VIN 8 - RPO LV6)

Attention:
Before proceeding with the reprogramming procedure in this bulletin, the Vibe Programming Application MUST be downloaded and installed on the PC. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-006A.

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the text in the Correction section. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-074B (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System ).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following conditions:
- Intermittent extended crank or hard start when the engine is still at operating temperature (hot soak). Engine cranks for approximately three seconds, starts, may misfire after starting, then clears and operates normally for the duration of the drive cycle.
- The engine cranks but will not start.
- The technician may determine that the scan tool fails to initialize with the PCM and diagnosis reveals no injector pulse or spark during cranking.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:
- The PCM calibration may not be maximized for hot restart.
- The PCM may have experienced an internal fault.

Correction
- Review SI for the symptoms and conditions described above. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.
‹› If SI does not isolate a fault, reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration available.
- Use a multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) for reprogramming and ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.
- During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 volts. Only use the approved Midtronics(R) PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

1. Logon to TIS2WEB. In the upper right corner of the TIS2WEB Homepage, click on: "?" which is the Help menu question mark icon.
2. The Main screen will appear. In the left column of the Main screen, click on:VIBE Programming Application and Calibrations.
3. In the right column of the Main screen, a bulletin number, symptom and calibration file table will appear.

Note
Some reprogramming files may also be identified by their corresponding bulletin number.

4. Select the appropriate calibration file pertaining to the Model Year, Vehicle, and Symptoms as indicated in the conditions described in this bulletin.

5. A File - Download box will appear. Select: Pontiac Vibe Folder and then click: Save.
1. Double click on the: Pontiac Vibe Folder.
2. Double click on the: .zip file that pertains to this Bulletin.
3. A Win-Zip Dialog box will appear.
4. Highlight the: .cuw file, then click: Extract.
5. An Extract - C:\ Dialog box will appear.
6. Select: Pontiac Vibe Folder. Click: Extract.
7. When the file is saved to the Pontiac Vibe Folder, close the:WinZip Dialog box.

6. Double click on the: CUW icon on the desktop to access the Vibe Programming application.
OR
Click on the: Start icon.

7. Select: Programs.

8. Select: Vibe Programming Application.

9. Select: Vibe Programming.

10. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-02 box will appear.
1. Click: File Open.
2. An Insert disk box will appear. Click: Cancel.

11. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-12 box will appear.
1. Select: Desktop in the: Look in field.
2. Select: Pontiac Vibe folder and click: Open.
3. The Look in field will change to: Pontiac Vibe.

12. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-06 box will appear (Connect to Vehicle).
1. At the select MDI or J-2534 device Tool, select: ETAS MDI in the drop down menu.
2. Click: Next.

13. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-08 box will appear (Establishing communication with the vehicle). The Device Explorer box will appear, listing all the available MDIs.
1. In the Device Explorer box, select the: MDI that is configured to the PC and is connected to the vehicle.

14. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-09 box will appear (Calibration Selection Confirmation).
1. Review all of the information in this box.

15. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-47 box will appear (Verify Calibration ID Numbers).
2. Click: the old calibration under the Target Cal ID column.
3. Click: Next.

16. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-14 box will appear (Vehicle Preparation).
2. Turn OFF the ignition.

17. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-15 box will appear (Prepare for Reprogramming).
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
3. Click: Start.

18. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-17 box will appear (Flash Calibration Update in Process).
Wait for the update process to complete.

19. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-22 box will appear (Flash Calibration Update Successful).
2. Turn OFF the ignition.

20. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-23 box will appear (Prepare for verifying vehicle).
2. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

21. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-25 box will appear (Establishing communication with the vehicle).
1. The Calibration Update Wizard will verify the calibration that is currently in the vehicle.
2. Wait for the process to complete.

22. The Calibration Update Wizard-Screen S701-26 box will appear: Programming Successful!.
1. Verify the calibrations from the: Before Update and After Update columns.
2. Click: Print or Finish to complete the programming event.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

This TSB is coded
Labor Operation: J6354
Description: Reprogram ECM
Labor Time: 0.4 hr
******************************************************************************************

Cheers everyone!!
Getmoresoon