Adding a folding outside mirror ?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Jbenrod

Adding a folding outside mirror ?

Post by Jbenrod »

Does anyone know if one can replace the Gen. 1, outside mirror with a folding unit from another model car?
2005 Base - 220k
TraumaForYou

Re: Adding a folding outside mirror ?

Post by TraumaForYou »

whats wrong with the factory mirror?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

TraumaForYou wrote:whats wrong with the factory mirror?
I bet the Vibe must be parked on a busy NARROW street with a lot of traffic to where any attached object to the bodyside is subjected to getting hit! I've seen some streets in older neighborhoods where practically every car had lost a drivers side mirror at least once. Fold-away mirrors would definitely be a benefit.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I swear I remember someone on the Facebook group posting about putting on folding mirrors not that long ago. I don't recall where he sourced them and I don't think he was in the US.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

tpollauf wrote:
TraumaForYou wrote:whats wrong with the factory mirror?
I bet the Vibe must be parked on a busy NARROW street with a lot of traffic to where any attached object to the bodyside is subjected to getting hit! I've seen some streets in older neighborhoods where practically every car had lost a drivers side mirror at least once. Fold-away mirrors would definitely be a benefit.
Exactly, narrow street in old dense neighborhood where the big old houses are now broken up into 2 or 3 apartments. Parking is almost non-stop on both sides of the street so that leaves just barely enough room for cars to meet and pass. You can see the evidence of the problem as some of the cars are missing their drivers side mirrors and when the winter snow hits it only gets worse. Therefore a folding mirror modification, at least on the drivers side which faces the street, would be a real benefit.

Although the Vibes are short in length at around 171", they are about 70" wide which is wider than I would have guessed.
2005 Base - 220k
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

There have been a few times when I've had to parallel park along a street and I have folded the driver's side mirror in just in case. The 2nd gens came standard with folding mirrors though.

2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage