oddly bouncy Vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
canadave

oddly bouncy Vibe?

Post by canadave »

Me again :) My 04 Vibe is starting to have gremlins in it or something!

After having it practically shake apart on us, we found out the left front brake caliper was busted. Replaced that, put on brand new allseason tires, had an alignment done. The ride was still a little rough. We brought it back to Canadian Tire, the service guy test drove it, and said it seemed like it was probably a defective tire--which they then replaced with a new one.

Now it's still oddly bouncy/bumpy. On a smooth road, it just seems as though it bounces and bumps slightly every now and then, as if it were on a rougher road than it actually is. Not dramatically so, but enough that I notice it compared to how it was even a few months ago.

Is it possible the shocks/struts might be worn out? The car is at 160,000 kilometres (100,000 miles),the shocks/struts have never been replaced, and we have very rough roads in our area for the most part.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
vibrologist

Re: oddly bouncy Vibe?

Post by vibrologist »

Yes, it is possible that the struts are worn out.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

It could be so many things but a tire will be constant and the bouncing or vibration will increase with speed. Intermittent front end shake is a common symptom of a bad cv joint.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I'd look at replacing the struts
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Do the bounce test. Press straight down on the fender and see how many times that side bounces. There's another one where you lift it to test as well. You may be able to do that a little since the springs already lift some of the weight in relation to the wheel.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit