Vibe recall

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
TraumaForYou

Vibe recall

Post by TraumaForYou »

Just got a recall for my passenger airbag. Sheet says it's for vibes 03 to 07. Anyone else just get this?
Baltovibe

Re: Vibe recall

Post by Baltovibe »

Although I have not received a recent recall notice, the last one said to be aware but no supply was available to fulfill the recall.

viewtopic.php?t=43798
viewtopic.php?t=44121
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

Baltovibe wrote:Although I have not received a recent recall notice, the last one said to be aware but no supply was available to fulfill the recall.

viewtopic.php?t=43798
viewtopic.php?t=44121
i literally just got the notice today. said they will send another when the parts are ready. you will most likely get it soon too. well hopefully. Any chance of the airbag accidentally deploying could prove to be bad biz. :shock:
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Got my letter today.

GM Recall # 14491A

- All 2003-2007 Pontiac Vibe vehicles
- Front Passenger Airbag Inflator
- Parts are not currently available
- Service performed at no charge
- "Until the repair is performed, the front passenger seat should NOT be occupied."

Hasn't GM know about this issue for almost a full year and they're just notifying us now? My family has been using the passenger seat the whole time...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
TraumaForYou

Post by TraumaForYou »

ehoff121 wrote:Got my letter today.

GM Recall # 14491A

- "Until the repair is performed, the front passenger seat should NOT be occupied."

Hasn't GM know about this issue for almost a full year and they're just notifying us now? My family has been using the passenger seat the whole time...
To be honest ill be very surprised if they actually follow up with the repair.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Legally, the must follow up with the repair.
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

Legally, ALL SAFETY RECALLS (Federal as well as state) must be 'cleared/implemented' before a vehicle can be sold.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
canadave

Post by canadave »

ehoff121 wrote:Got my letter today.

GM Recall # 14491A

This is my question as well!! (yes, we got our recall notice today too, here in Canada). Why is this suddenly coming a year after the issue was first broached in the news media?

Also, given the vast numbers of airbags affected, does anyone have any clue as to when the parts will start to become available again? Is the responsibility on me to keep phoning GM to ask if parts are in, or are they supposed to call me and let me know whenever they get parts?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

if you've read the recall properly it says gm will notify you of further updates......
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I suspect the odds of any issue with the passenger side airbag is pretty low.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

I've had my repair completed already. Took my vibe to a local GM dealer to have the PCM checked out for the recall, and while I was there they said they'd order the part of this airbag recall. Got a call the next week saying the part was in.

From what I read previously, high humidity is what causes the part to go bad (for the most part) so places with high humidity get the parts first, supposedly.
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

I ASKED BOTH GM and the Dealer who is paying for my rental car because my family of 4 no longer can ride safely in this car when we are on vacation as the car is stuffed ? Neither has yet to give me an answer, claiming the service manager was on vacation and GM themselves said call the dealer. I said YOU ARE GM give me an answer! I suspect they do not want to open up a "can of worms". There are legalities here...aka... sometimes unusable car. I live up north so, we do not have the year round humidity like Florida or other Gulf states. So the danger is low. But low is not Zero. Parts unavailable because Honda did their recall 1st. Anyone have a good idea to get this resolved quickly ? Gary, when did you get yours fixed ?
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

jasonvibe wrote:I ASKED BOTH GM and the Dealer who is paying for my rental car because my family of 4 no longer can ride safely in this car when we are on vacation as the car is stuffed ? Neither has yet to give me an answer, claiming the service manager was on vacation and GM themselves said call the dealer. I said YOU ARE GM give me an answer! I suspect they do not want to open up a "can of worms". There are legalities here...aka... sometimes unusable car. I live up north so, we do not have the year round humidity like Florida or other Gulf states. So the danger is low. But low is not Zero. Parts unavailable because Honda did their recall 1st. Anyone have a good idea to get this resolved quickly ? Gary, when did you get yours fixed ?
I didn't really do anything. Took my car to a local GM dealer so they could check the PCM for the recall. They mentioned the other recall (for passenger airbag module thing) and said they'd order the part. Simple as that. I'm surprised I had it so easy. Maybe it's because I live in Texas?
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I need to check my letters. (I have one for both my Vibe and Corolla). I really need to get this taken care of. Do you think a Toyota dealer could handle the recall on the Vibe?

We're in Texas now, but both of these cars were in Florida for nearly a decade, so I'm sure that humidity has some time to act.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

runningslow wrote:I need to check my letters. (I have one for both my Vibe and Corolla). I really need to get this taken care of. Do you think a Toyota dealer could handle the recall on the Vibe?

We're in Texas now, but both of these cars were in Florida for nearly a decade, so I'm sure that humidity has some time to act.
I don't think Toyota will take care of the Vibe.

My suggestion would be to call some dealerships around, give them the VIN, and see what they say.
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GaryG92 wrote: I don't think Toyota will take care of the Vibe.

My suggestion would be to call some dealerships around, give them the VIN, and see what they say.
No, Toyota will not touch it. It is not a Toyota VIN, they can't do the recall unless you want to actually pay for it. You have to go to GM, sorry. My advice is to remove the glove box and take pictures of your dash and trim bezels so if they really have to screw around and not undo like four bolts and a plug, you have proof they messed up.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit