Would you go back to a 1st gen?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mazzy21

Would you go back to a 1st gen?

Post by Mazzy21 »

My first Vibe was a 2005 Base. When a deer totaled that two years ago I purchased a 2009 GT. I should have paid more attention when test driving. I should have noticed the lack of functionality the 2nd gen gave me in comparison to the 1st. Of course the 2nd gen has *some* perks over the 1st: with the GT it clearly has more pep, nicer looking and more comfortable seating (IMO), and the 2.4L engine gives the weight that the 1.8L never did on Michigan's snowy roads <- the biggest issue for me, as the Base was death-grip terrifying on even the slightest of wet roads, never mind full on snow-covered messes, while the GT glides over the snow like I have an SUV.

Problem is, in all other ways the 2nd gen falls WAY short of the 1st gen for my lifestyle. The lack of that back window opening is something huge for me personally, and the much smaller interior has made the car useless for anything but basic point-A-to-point-B transport, where as I used to haul all kinds of things in my 1st gen and loved that over the idea of owning a truck (yuk!).

I have been paying on my 2nd gen for 2 years now and every month when I make that payment I hate it even more, simply because I have NO intention of keeping this car. I keep thinking "I could be paying on a 1st gen that I know I'd keep til she dies over this heap!"

So my question to you, Vibe enthusiasts, is, would you consider going back? Is it stupid to trade in my 2009 for a now ten year old 2005 (I would go with AWD this time around for the snow situation)? It should be noted that Vibes seem to keep their value incredibly well, so all the 2005AWDs I've seen are around $6-7K with about 140K miles in my area, and they are very hard to come by as it is, getting snatched up almost as soon as they are listed on dealer sites. I want my 1st gen back so badly yet I can't help but think 'is this dumb? the car is OLD now, it has none of the new features, safety or otherwise of new vehicles.'

So all this rambling is to ask that question - if a 1st gen fit your lifestyle like a glove, BUT you'd have to go back to a ten year old car (and have a car payment on it!) would you do it or would you "settle" for a new car, and "settle" is exactly what it would be, because I have yet to find a new car that comes close tot he functionality of my old Vibe.

Please share your thoughts.
Caretaker

Re: Would you go back to a 1st gen?

Post by Caretaker »

Having owned the first gen for 7 years, and now the second gen for nearly 7 years, I still contend that the second generation is better in almost every way (slightly better brakes, seating position, radio, seat comfort, steering, quieter, looks and more). Not only would I NOT ever consider going back to the first gen, I would NOT now consider buying either. There have been advancements in cars since the Vibe went out of production. I'd consider a Mazda 3 and CX5, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester and a few others to be head and shoulders above the Vibe, if for no other reason but that they are larger and get the same or better gas mileage. Both Vibe models suffer from common problems such as NUMMI fit and finish issues, horribly designed Toyota brakes, crappy Toyota 4 speed auto transmission, blind spots, oil consumption, chipping paint, poor rear seat leg room. I truly am keeping my Vibe because of the lifetime XM I thoroughly enjoy. If the car so much as hiccups and begins to exhibit less than standard Toyota quality longevity, it will be history.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Mazzy21, I think you should go back. You said the Gen1 fits your lifestyle like a glove. That is why you need to go back.

In my opinion you should not limit yourself to AWD. The base Gen 1 does really well in rain and snow if you have the right tires for the conditions. I use Michelin Defenders for 3 seasons on mine and I have an extra set of wheels with General Tire Altimax Arctic for winter driving. There is no issue with aqua planing with the Michelin and the Altimax Arctic are incredibly grippy in the snow. There are less pricy tires that come awfully close in performance to the sets that I use.

Your Gen 2 should be worth a nice penny. Hopefully it covers most of your remaining balance on the loan. I also hope you find a way to raise cash (garage sale?) because paying interest on a loan sucks.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
bull77

Post by bull77 »

vibrologist wrote:he base Gen 1 does really well in rain and snow if you have the right tires for the conditions. I use Michelin Defenders for 3 seasons on mine and I have an extra set of wheels with General Tire Altimax Arctic for winter driving. There is no issue with aqua planing with the Michelin and the Altimax Arctic are incredibly grippy in the snow.
completely agree - i have the same tires on my FWD'06 and have no issues in the snow or rain.
Caretaker wrote:Both Vibe models suffer from common problems such as NUMMI fit and finish issues, horribly designed Toyota brakes, crappy Toyota 4 speed auto transmission, blind spots, oil consumption, chipping paint, poor rear seat leg room. I truly am keeping my Vibe because of the lifetime XM I thoroughly enjoy.
Only one of these are a problem for me -- paint chips and peels -- other than that my vibe has been problem free.
trb

Post by trb »

Having driven both a considerable amount ( son's 06 for about a year, my 03 GT for a year and my 10 GT for about 2 years) I can say I preferred the 10 GT regarding driving performance. The handling with the 10 GT was much better. My son commented on it too when he drove it, that it handled much better, and he is not into driving! The interior was not that much of a difference to me, although the rear window was a bit of a bummer that it does not open, but it was not a deal breaker. If I had been able to get another 09-10 red GT with a manual transmission this time, that is what I would be driving now. I settled on the 03 GT since it was much cheaper - about 1/4 the cost of a newer one, and I was able to pay cash for it. Worked out well since we also bought my daughter a new Rogue so I don't have an additional car payment.

The 03-08 is a bit more "old fashioned" since they don't all have all of the safety features of the 09-10, but if it fits you well like an old pair of jeans, it might just be the ticket. But before you jump into just any older Vibe, I would really make sure it is a good one. A long drive and definitely have a mechanic check it out, especially if you get the AWD due to the extra complexity.

Good luck on your decision!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Mazzy21 wrote:My first Vibe was a 2005 Base. When a deer totaled that two years ago I purchased a 2009 GT. I should have paid more attention when test driving. I should have noticed the lack of functionality the 2nd gen gave me in comparison to the 1st. Of course the 2nd gen has *some* perks over the 1st: with the GT it clearly has more pep, nicer looking and more comfortable seating (IMO), and the 2.4L engine gives the weight that the 1.8L never did on Michigan's snowy roads <- the biggest issue for me, as the Base was death-grip terrifying on even the slightest of wet roads, never mind full on snow-covered messes, while the GT glides over the snow like I have an SUV.

Problem is, in all other ways the 2nd gen falls WAY short of the 1st gen for my lifestyle. The lack of that back window opening is something huge for me personally, and the much smaller interior has made the car useless for anything but basic point-A-to-point-B transport, where as I used to haul all kinds of things in my 1st gen and loved that over the idea of owning a truck (yuk!).

I have been paying on my 2nd gen for 2 years now and every month when I make that payment I hate it even more, simply because I have NO intention of keeping this car. I keep thinking "I could be paying on a 1st gen that I know I'd keep til she dies over this heap!"

So my question to you, Vibe enthusiasts, is, would you consider going back? Is it stupid to trade in my 2009 for a now ten year old 2005 (I would go with AWD this time around for the snow situation)? It should be noted that Vibes seem to keep their value incredibly well, so all the 2005AWDs I've seen are around $6-7K with about 140K miles in my area, and they are very hard to come by as it is, getting snatched up almost as soon as they are listed on dealer sites. I want my 1st gen back so badly yet I can't help but think 'is this dumb? the car is OLD now, it has none of the new features, safety or otherwise of new vehicles.'

So all this rambling is to ask that question - if a 1st gen fit your lifestyle like a glove, BUT you'd have to go back to a ten year old car (and have a car payment on it!) would you do it or would you "settle" for a new car, and "settle" is exactly what it would be, because I have yet to find a new car that comes close tot he functionality of my old Vibe.

Please share your thoughts.

You mentioned, the 2nd Gen's smaller interior made the car useless other than A-B transport, but you were "nervous" driving the 2005 when it was wet? You made the right choice with the 2nd Gen, especially since you can drive it in almost all kinds of weather despite the smaller interior,plus it has more power, with little to no penalty over the fuel mileage of the 2005. Win win for you. :)
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

trb wrote:Having driven both a considerable amount ( son's 06 for about a year, my 03 GT for a year and my 10 GT for about 2 years) I can say I preferred the 10 GT regarding driving performance. The handling with the 10 GT was much better. My son commented on it too when he drove it, that it handled much better, and he is not into driving! The interior was not that much of a difference to me, although the rear window was a bit of a bummer that it does not open, but it was not a deal breaker. If I had been able to get another 09-10 red GT with a manual transmission this time, that is what I would be driving now. I settled on the 03 GT since it was much cheaper - about 1/4 the cost of a newer one, and I was able to pay cash for it. Worked out well since we also bought my daughter a new Rogue so I don't have an additional car payment.

The 03-08 is a bit more "old fashioned" since they don't all have all of the safety features of the 09-10, but if it fits you well like an old pair of jeans, it might just be the ticket. But before you jump into just any older Vibe, I would really make sure it is a good one. A long drive and definitely have a mechanic check it out, especially if you get the AWD due to the extra complexity.

Wouldn't the optional ESC, and side airbags cover the safety issues?
trb

Post by trb »

Nasmfell wrote:
trb wrote:Having driven both a considerable amount ( son's 06 for about a year, my 03 GT for a year and my 10 GT for about 2 years) I can say I preferred the 10 GT regarding driving performance. The handling with the 10 GT was much better. My son commented on it too when he drove it, that it handled much better, and he is not into driving! The interior was not that much of a difference to me, although the rear window was a bit of a bummer that it does not open, but it was not a deal breaker. If I had been able to get another 09-10 red GT with a manual transmission this time, that is what I would be driving now. I settled on the 03 GT since it was much cheaper - about 1/4 the cost of a newer one, and I was able to pay cash for it. Worked out well since we also bought my daughter a new Rogue so I don't have an additional car payment.

Wouldn't the optional ESC, and side airbags cover the safety issues?
Yes, if it is equipped with it, but a good percentage of them don't have either. My son's 06 does not have ABS or the extra airbags and that's why I mentioned they don't all have all of the safety features. Wish they were standard on all of the earlier models. It certainly is a plus if you can find one with those options.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I don't have any of the issues mentioned above on my first gen. I do have a GT, so that makes up for some of the supposed short comings mentioned above except for the traction issues which are solved with proper tires and driving style. Many also need to keep in mind the lost of grip and feel you deal with when you have old struts and/or springs, and all the rubber parts are taking a crap at this age especially if the car is from the north. To me, the first gen GT is a superior automobile in almost every way. Hell, I see more 1st gens (not GT as they're just simply rarer) here in Ohio than anything. I'm shocked, to be honest, at the numbers and the good condition they're still in. I've learned people love some fake (removed) Pontiacs in the midwest. ;)

Keep in mind the 1st gen GT has a different drivetrain, different springs, brakes developed by Akebono, among a few other little things.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with your decision.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

I don't deny that the 2nd gen just all around drives better (and has better safety features), as it should, it's the newer model. I personally feel there is something to be said for the weight of a car on particularly snowy roads. The Vibes got such great gas mileage because they are feather-light. The older Ford Focus' has the same problem - an ice skate on winter roads, but gets incredible gas mileage for a car of that time.

I looked at the weight of my current '09GT compared to a 1st gen AWD and the difference is only 90 pounds. I believe it'll do fine on the roads here, where I would never recommend an '05 Base to anyone in Michigan (I can't speak to other years). As for snow tires, it's just never gonna happen. I don't want to buy them, I don't want to store them, I don't want to have to change tires over twice a year. All-seasons are the only tire for me, in any car so I have to factor that in, and that's why I am thinking about the AWD.

Still, the points everyone made are very valid. I have made these points with myself many times over while considering this switch and am still himming and hawwing over it now.

Functionality is the issue for me. 2nd gens, IMO, are just your standard, generic, "little cars" (now that I've expereinced it for the last two years). The itty bitty inside is a joke, while there was nothing I ever even worried aobut fitting in my 1st gen (and hauled a whole lotta stuff in it). And that window opening would sure make hauling a kayak a lot easier, something that is a prominant hobby in my life.

I'm sure I would enjoy some brand new model on the market but there is also cost to consider. I can't help thinking is it really worth it to spend $400+/month on a new car that kinda fits what I want and do so for the next 6-7 years, or spend $7K and get exactly what works for me without adding any cost to my monthly bills (meaning I would contune to pay $300/month regardless of the actual payment - like I do right now with my current Vibe - and get it paid off in just a few years).

I really don't know what I'm gonna do. To me there are equal pluses and minuses both ways. What I do know is that 1st gens get snatched up the second they come on the market around here (I was going to test drive a new to the market one yesterday, it came on the market two days ago, it is gone), while 2nd gens are a dime a dozen at dealerships (though they are still getting a premium price for them). I'll keep ya posted if I EVER make up my mind on this. ~sigh~
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Any inability of your gen1 in the snow is not having the proper tire. If you don't want to change tires, buy snows and run them all year.

I'm on my fourth gen1 matrix/vibe...
Mark

Post by Mark »

I looked at a 2nd gen once, and then two years ago when i went looking for a second Vibe I searched specifically for a 2008.

The hatch glass was a major factor, as well as more/more functional interior space. And I know and like the 1ZZ-FE engine.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

thebarber wrote:Any inability of your gen1 in the snow is not having the proper tire. If you don't want to change tires, buy snows and run them all year.

I'd rather stick with more slippery all seasons. Running winter tires any other time it's not winter, is asking for trouble. They chew up quickly, so more money spent on tires; they don't handle like an all season or summer tire (squirmy), and he probably drives in weather over 35-40oF more than not.

Of course, I'm doubting you would want to do that either and I'll assume you're just throwing out alternatives. ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I was in Michigan for a particularly bad snow storm a few Christmases ago with the Vibe. I thought my Vibe performed quite well in the snow even with my well worn all season tires. It was pretty heavy with all the luggage and accessories that 2 adults and an infant required, so that may have played into the performance.

Side note: I saw so many 1st gen Vibes I saw in the UP a few weeks ago on vacation. I'd have a hard time believing that they are bad in the snow if so many Yoopers own them.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:
thebarber wrote:Any inability of your gen1 in the snow is not having the proper tire. If you don't want to change tires, buy snows and run them all year.

I'd rather stick with more slippery all seasons. Running winter tires any other time it's not winter, is asking for trouble. They chew up quickly, so more money spent on tires; they don't handle like an all season or summer tire (squirmy), and he probably drives in weather over 35-40oF more than not.

Of course, I'm doubting you would want to do that either and I'll assume you're just throwing out alternatives. ;)
I'd rather run just snows than end up shiny side down come winter. technically you're better off on winters below 8c anyways, which in my/Michigans neck is 5months of the year.

I keep my mother-in-law on winters year round, no issues. Tires wear a bit faster, but you won't burn them off in a year. She's on season 3.

Squishy? I guess, but hers are 175-65-14, no matter what she uses will have enough sidewall flex it won't be a handling machine.

205-55-16's I don't think you'd see a difference in handling/grip.

That said, I have dedicated winter and summer sets for both cars....its just a good idea
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

I've definitely seen the winter tire debate on here many times, and I would also throw out that mine was an '05, that every bad review I've seen regarding snow is with someone owning an '05 Base, and that even a post on here, that I either made or commented on eons ago (when I still had my 1st gen) had someone responding that they too own(ed) an '05 Base and that it was terrible on even the slightest bit of snow. There might really be something to the '05 Base model that just made them terrible on snow. I don't know what that would be because I don't know of any differences between the '05 and other years, but there is a Base '06 in Abyss, in beautiful shape here for $6500 and it is VERY tempting just on the thought that maybe the '05s specifically are ice skates.

I've been looking at the models people have listed (that have it listed) as the one they own and it doesn't seem like anyone saying their Vibe handles well is driving an '05 Base. If there were any way to know that it was just that year I'd jump on another Base instead of looking for AWD. They are cheaper and more fuel efficient so ~shrug~ but as of right now, I can only go by what I know, and what I know is that after spending bookoo bucks replacing new tires with more new tires THREE times on my '05 Base (2x Good Year, 1x Michelin, always all-seasons) absolutely nothing helped and that car was horrific in the snow.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Mazzy21 wrote:I've definitely seen the winter tire debate on here many times, and I would also throw out that mine was an '05, that every bad review I've seen regarding snow is with someone owning an '05 Base, and that even a post on here, that I either made or commented on eons ago (when I still had my 1st gen) had someone responding that they too own(ed) an '05 Base and that it was terrible on even the slightest bit of snow. There might really be something to the '05 Base model that just made them terrible on snow. I don't know what that would be because I don't know of any differences between the '05 and other years, but there is a Base '06 in Abyss, in beautiful shape here for $6500 and it is VERY tempting just on the thought that maybe the '05s specifically are ice skates.

I've been looking at the models people have listed (that have it listed) as the one they own and it doesn't seem like anyone saying their Vibe handles well is driving an '05 Base. If there were any way to know that it was just that year I'd jump on another Base instead of looking for AWD. They are cheaper and more fuelnt so ~shrug~ but as of right now only go by what I know, and what I know is that after spending bookoo bucks replacing new tires with more new tires THREE times on my '05 Base (2x Good Year, 1x Michelin, always all-seasons) absolutely nothing helped and that car was horrific in the snow.
I'm on matrix/vibe #4 and have always had winter tires and have never had an issue in snow/cold. The vibe "only" weighs 2700-2800lbs so is light.

All seasons suck at/below freezing.

Heck, I had Michelin hydroedge on my vibe and hated them....no traction any time (summer), but has the same tires on my 2000 Malibu and loved them (all year long)

Tires make ALL the difference
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

thebarber wrote: Heck, I had Michelin hydroedge on my vibe and hated them....no traction any time (summer), but has the same tires on my 2000 Malibu and loved them (all year long)

But that's just it, right? If tires really made THAT much of a difference then your traction would have been just as bad on your Malibu as on your Vibe. Except it wasn't. Except that all-seasons worked just fine on your Malibu, implying it was your Vibe that was the problem, not your tires. And that's what I experienced with my Base '05 as well. And that's why I think I"m gonna stick with pondering a 1st gen AWD vs. my 2nd gen GT.
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

runningslow wrote:I was in Michigan for a particularly bad snow storm a few Christmases ago with the Vibe. I thought my Vibe performed quite well in the snow even with my well worn all season tires. It was pretty heavy with all the luggage and accessories that 2 adults and an infant required, so that may have played into the performance.

Side note: I saw so many 1st gen Vibes I saw in the UP a few weeks ago on vacation. I'd have a hard time believing that they are bad in the snow if so many Yoopers own them.
I'm glad to hear that. I see you have an '06 Base. That makes the '06 Base for sale here a little more appealing. :)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Mazzy21 wrote:
thebarber wrote: Heck, I had Michelin hydroedge on my vibe and hated them....no traction any time (summer), but has the same tires on my 2000 Malibu and loved them (all year long)

But that's just it, right? If tires really made THAT much of a difference then your traction would have been just as bad on your Malibu as on your Vibe. Except it wasn't. Except that all-seasons worked just fine on your Malibu, implying it was your Vibe that was the problem, not your tires. And that's what I experienced with my Base '05 as well. And that's why I think I"m gonna stick with pondering a 1st gen AWD vs. my 2nd gen GT.
Like your GT vs gen1 its about curb weight

Moreover, the Malibu was before I'd ever used dedicated winter tires. I now know just how much better winter tires are in the winter.

2 winters ago I was passing everyone lake Orion to the border with my vibe on winters. I can't believe how many rock all seasons in a state so committed to motor vehicles
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

Maybe I'll just chuck it all and get an Aztec. :P
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Don't get me wrong, a dedicated winter tire in the snow, or freezing and below, is night and day compared with an all season no matter what car you are driving. You'll generally blow away an awd car with a/s in the snow with a fwd or rwd and dedicated winter/snow tires. They make that big of a difference - below 40 and/or in the snow.

That being said, no way in hell (it's hot there ;) ), I would run a snow tire all year when I have a choice. The OP didn't want two sets of tires, therefore, I'd stick with an all season over a winter tire and purchase whatever car I felt safer in. You said yourself, though it was not your point, that even you only experience winter conditions for 5 months out of the year in Michigan (Michigan... :shock: Ohio is enough north/midwest for me). But that still leaves 7 months. 7 is more than 5, so my process of maths, running an all-season makes more sense more often than not. Hmm, this debate reminds me of my buddy who used to tell me his WRX was faster than my Supra on any given day here up north. His reasoning, it's either raining, snowing or too cold more often than not, giving his awd the advantage over my fish tailing Supra; on any given day, of course. haha

A winter tire is no more made for the summer than a summer performance tire is made for the winter. A snow tire is hazardous outside its scope, just like a summer tire. To begin, it does not handle as well. This includes turn-in, grip, and braking. The performance of that winter tire is nowhere near that of the all season or any other once it's above freezing and there's no snow on the ground. Trust me, those more than a few feet that an all season would have stopped you in WILL make a difference when you slam into the rear of someone else in an emergency.

Your cost will also increase. A winter tire wears far faster than their all season and summer equivalents in warmer weather. Period. Not to mention, it's not hard to lost pieces of winter tread in hotter weather especially if there's any sporty driving going on or in a panic stop, etc. They do not get good gas mileage. It will be a measurable loss.

...Did this just turn into another repeated tire thread? Fine. I'll stop. Back to business, OP. :D
ImageImageImage
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

ImUrOBGYN wrote: ...Did this just turn into another repeated tire thread? Fine. I'll stop. Back to business, OP. :D
Hahaha :) Yes, I love this forum; it has been most helpful to me during my time as a Vibe owner, but the one thing I have found is that any time winter driving is even mentioned the debate begins again. I appreciate the reality that winter tires are a good tool for people who live here in Michigan, but I flat out am not buying them so the point is moot. I like All-seasons. I rock All-seasons. I will not change from All-seasons. So....

I have spent the last few days looking at a few new cars. Chevy is currently offering 0% for 72 months so that's a pretty awesome deal. I looked at the Trax, which is Vibe- ish. It's got all the newest safety features that an '08 and below don't have, and of course all the latest gadgetry. It still doesn't have a back window that opens (grumble). But as awesome as it would be to have a brand new car with all the latest and greatest features, I came to the realization that even if I'm giving up all those things by going back to a 1st gen, I ultimately am in no place to take on a $350+ car payment WHILE I'm trying to look for a house as well, and it goes back to being able to get the car that fits my lifestyle perfectly, without giving anything up in functionality, and getting ti right now without any monetary concerns, over squeezing the budget tighter to get only what I sorta want, and what sorta works for me, newer or not.

So I believe I have made my decision; I will be keeping my eye out for an AWD '06-'08 Vibe, preferably with not much over 100K miles but beggars can't be choosers so I'll be open to accepting higher mileage if I have to. It gets me the functionality back that I am missing with a car that I can have paid off in a couple years tops, and I can always trade it in for a new one whenever I'm ready so ~shrug~ on that.

Thanks for all your input guys, and hopefully I'll be back here to post pics of my newest old Vibe as soon as I find it. :) **there is a little sadness in the fact that I've paid off one of these cars once and now I'm going to buy another one. But that one was a Base so hopefully this one will do me very well on these Michigan roads (especially here in Ann Arbor where they don't seem to know what a snow plow or salt are!!)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Yoh!!! Them tires!
Just last week I had a conversation with used car dealer. While we were sweating in 90+ degrees F he mentioned winter tires. He said many customers don't care about winter tires. Typically those who never have driven any. But once they did drive them the discussion is over.

Mazzy21 wrote:
had someone responding that they too own(ed) an '05 Base and that it was terrible on even the slightest bit of snow. There might really be something to the '05 Base model that just made them terrible on snow. I don't know what that would be because I don't know of any differences between the '05 and other years,
There definitely are differences. For one, the '05 came with DBW instead of an accelerator cable. Then there was that pesky PCM recall. The original PCM caused jerky shifts and a rather hefty tip-in on acceleration. Both are things you don't want in slippery conditions. At the recall my PCM was replaced with a new one and this one shifts a whole lot smoother. I also developed a good feel for the tip-in and I rarely get any jerky motion out of my drive train. So, if that Abyss has had the recall done it ought to work for you.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
trb

Post by trb »

If you want AWD, then the only years you will find are 03-06. GM quit selling AWD Vibes after 06, until the 09 came out.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

trb wrote:If you want AWD, then the only years you will find are 03-06. GM quit selling AWD Vibes after 06, until the 09 came out.
Thanks! I didn't know that. And speaking of, because I don't actually know anything about cars, another question - I happen to be seeing 2003's with less miles than many 2006s (well, "many" is relative; there are only a handful of AWDs, period). What do you think is better, GenVibe, lower miles or newer year?
Fleetwud

Post by Fleetwud »

My only experience with the Vibe IS my first gen GT with 187k, the last 21 of which were mine and would happily drive another... would I really miss those 16 ponies in an '05 or '06 GT? It's quick, comfortable, efficient for my needs, and devilishly handsome in its Outback drag. Friends and family are surprised at its roominess and that it's needed so little in its teenage years (7/02 build) in the way of upkeep. This replaced for me an '07 Tacoma Prerunner, and looking back still don't miss the truck, except perhaps a more relaxed attitude around speedbumps and tailgaters.
Ride ze Mecklenbürgring! Tacoma97 TacomaØ7 VoltzGT03
trb

Post by trb »

Mazzy21 wrote:And speaking of, because I don't actually know anything about cars, another question - I happen to be seeing 2003's with less miles than many 2006s (well, "many" is relative; there are only a handful of AWDs, period). What do you think is better, GenVibe, lower miles or newer year?
On an older car, what matters more to me is how well it was maintained. Case in point, the 03 GT I bought last year. It had 207,000 miles, but was maintained very well by the prior owner. It looks better in many aspects than my son's 06 which has 1/3 the mileage. He used Mobil 1 and changed it every 5,000-6,000 miles. He drove it on the highway as an insurance salesman in central Texas, so it was his livelyhood. The mechanic that I had look at it confirmed that the car looked like it was well maintained and he found only two very minor things, cracked serpentine belt and a leaky power steering hose. The seller told me about the belt since it had over 100K on it. I still haven't changed either of these items, and it's been a year now. I fully expect to get another 100K miles from it, if not more.

I would look at the general condition of the car, and if a Carfax is available, maybe it will show the maintenance records. Low miles is a plus, but excessively low miles indicates a car that was not driven much and could suffer from issues due to a lack of use. Either way, if a car looks good to you at first look, something you would be happy to own, make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic, especially the AWD components since they are often neglected, can leak, and it is an expensive repair if it goes out.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

trb wrote:
Mazzy21 wrote:And speaking of, because I don't actually know anything about cars, another question - I happen to be seeing 2003's with less miles than many 2006s (well, "many" is relative; there are only a handful of AWDs, period). What do you think is better, GenVibe, lower miles or newer year?
On an older car, what matters more to me is how well it was maintained. Case in point, the 03 GT I bought last year. It had 207,000 miles, but was maintained very well by the prior owner. It looks better in many aspects than my son's 06 which has 1/3 the mileage. He used Mobil 1 and changed it every 5,000-6,000 miles. He drove it on the highway as an insurance salesman in central Texas, so it was his livelyhood. The mechanic that I had look at it confirmed that the car looked like it was well maintained and he found only two very minor things, cracked serpentine belt and a leaky power steering hose. The seller told me about the belt since it had over 100K on it. I still haven't changed either of these items, and it's been a year now. I fully expect to get another 100K miles from it, if not more.

I would look at the general condition of the car, and if a Carfax is available, maybe it will show the maintenance records. Low miles is a plus, but excessively low miles indicates a car that was not driven much and could suffer from issues due to a lack of use. Either way, if a car looks good to you at first look, something you would be happy to own, make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic, especially the AWD components since they are often neglected, can leak, and it is an expensive repair if it goes out.

Good luck!
Well, at least the last owner took good care of it... ;) haha
ImageImageImage
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

We have both 2004 and 2009 Vibes.

I prefer the 2005 body style, but must admit the 2009 engine/auto-transmission (and disc brakes) is better. Thus, *I* would prefer a 2005 chassis with 2009+ engine & transmission.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

trb wrote:If you want AWD, then the only years you will find are 03-06. GM quit selling AWD Vibes after 06, until the 09 came out.

Mainly do to buyers figuring out the AWD came with a lower powered engine to pull more weight.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Mazzy21 wrote:
Thanks! I didn't know that. And speaking of, because I don't actually know anything about cars, another question - I happen to be seeing 2003's with less miles than many 2006s (well, "many" is relative; there are only a handful of AWDs, period). What do you think is better, GenVibe, lower miles or newer year?

Newer year.