How to Mount a cell phone on 08 dashboard?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sunshy

How to Mount a cell phone on 08 dashboard?

Post by sunshy »

Yo! Wondering how y'all mount your cell phones near your dashboard to use the phone's navigation, blu tooth music, etc. Here is one my friend installed on her Toyota (boo!).

I have something similar already for my bike and thought I could potentially mod it to be used in my car:

Saw this on another post but $30 plus the cost of the mount seems a bit much:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath= ... eftorright
vibenvy

Re: How to Mount a cell phone on 08 dashboard?

Post by vibenvy »

sunshy wrote:Here is one my friend installed on her Toyota (boo!).
You do realize your Vibe is a Toyota right?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I mount mine on the windshield. Let me know if you would like a picture.
sunshy

Post by sunshy »

Nice Kumquat but my 08 has a different dash config than your 09.

I'm in Cali and I think it's illegal here to mount anything on your windshield GTV237 (sorry, should have mentioned that).

Yes I know it's basically a matrix Vibenvy (probably why mine's lasted for so long) but it's not the same thing :lol:

Thanks for your posts. I may just try some velcro on the back of the phone and some on the Pontiac insignia in the center of the steering wheel. I'll report back.
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Honestly, I just used a universal CD phone mount for my Vibe as I absolutely didn't want anything sticking to the windshield or to the top of the dashboard. I rarely listen to CDs nowadays (I have all my music on a USB flash drive that I use with my new stereo unit), and it works quite well for me.

Koomus CD-Eco Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder Cradle: http://amzn.com/B00JP0RTB4

Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Like Bastranz, I use a universal CD slot mount, and it works great. I use a different one, http://www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroove-U ... B004G1L52Q but it was gifted to me, so I didn't particularly compare various models

Before that, I tried epoxy-ing a suction cup mounting disk to one of the silver trim pieces , and that worked ok, except on a rough road, when weighed down with my GPS, the trim tends to work loose from the dash, Sometimes I run both the GPS and the cell with google map/navigate, comes in handy if you need to detour in the boonies when there's no cell service

Here's a pic of the empty mounts
mounts.jpg
mounts.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 3711 times

Here's a pic of the devices in the mounts
loaded.jpg
loaded.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
sunshy

Post by sunshy »

Thanks. I like that best so far. I tried heavy duty velcro and it seemed to work pretty well actually. I'll post a pic.
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

I just use a suction cup dash mount...it seems like the best position for glancing at quickly while driving. Don't remember what brand I bought or anything, but I've had mine for like a year and 1/2 and it has yet to come off.
sunshy

Post by sunshy »

Here is what I have using some industrial strength velcro (the all plastic kind, not the fuzzy cloth kind). Works great:
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

sunshy wrote:Here is what I have using some industrial strength velcro (the all plastic kind, not the fuzzy cloth kind). Works great:
I'd be worried that if the airbag deploys, it could explode that phone right into my face, if not directly, then a ricochet off the headliner. Even if it missed you, you'd be hard pressed to find it to call for help after the accident
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

joatmon wrote:
sunshy wrote:Here is what I have using some industrial strength velcro (the all plastic kind, not the fuzzy cloth kind). Works great:
I'd be worried that if the airbag deploys, it could explode that phone right into my face, if not directly, then a ricochet off the headliner. Even if it missed you, you'd be hard pressed to find it to call for help after the accident
I was kinda hoping it was a joke. That's extremely foolish.