Lots of questions about 2005 Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GaryG92

Lots of questions about 2005 Vibe

Post by GaryG92 »

First off, this is my first post, but I have been searching this forum for quite some time, and I owe it (at least partially) to you guys for helping me decide on buying a Vibe.

I've got a decent amount of questions regarding my Vibe, and keep in mind I'm not the most car-savvy guy out there, but I do know some stuff, so help me out by keeping replies on a simplistic level :lol:

First questions: How do I open my rear glass? It looks like it has a handle on the wiper area, and 2 shocks attached to the glass and upper plastic housing, but no matter what I try I can't open it. My friend said there should be a button to the left of the steering wheel, but all I have is the coin holder and what looks like a red light. I also read in the user manual that if you turn the key a certain way in the rear key hole, it'll unlock the glass, but I've had no luck with that.

Second: My check engine light came on yesterday. Car seems to be operating as normal. I had the code checked and it's a p0741. Could this be due to the recalled PCM? I called a local GM dealer and set up an appointment for Monday. If my PCM is good, what should I do next to remedy this CEL? I located my PCM and the number on it is "89661-02k41" Is that one included in the recalls?

Third: I bought this car with 131xxx miles on it, now it's close to 133k. I doubt the tranny fluid has ever been changed, as it looks extremely dark. I've heard so many varying statements/opinions on whether or not the fluid should be changed this late, and if it is to be changed, how to change it. Could anyone recommend the safest (even if it is more costly/tedious) thing to do, whether it be just a simple drain/refill, drain/refill process, or just leave it be?

Fourth: My coolant overflow tank is missing. I didn't realize until a week or so after purchase. The car doesn't seem to run hot, and the needle is always in the same place once it warms up (I can post a picture to compare it with others if needed. I just want to see if it runs hotter than others or not). So what's the best thing to do for a replacement? Find one from a scrapped vibe/(maybe matrix) or buy a "universal" one from a parts store. If I buy a universal, does anyone know which one will actually fit?

Fifth: The plastic panel on the driver's side floorboard, to the left of where I put my left foot (where I imagine the clutch would be) is missing. Dealer said he has one on order and will send it to me once he gets it. But it looks like there's a few loose/torn wires there, and if anyone has any ideas on what they might be to, I'd love to hear it. All the plastic connectors seem to be in place and intact, so I have no idea what they'd go to, but if someone wants to help me out, I'll gladly post a pic of that too.

Sixth: After-market cruise control. I've seen a few "plug-and-play" units, and I was wondering if they are too good to be true. I found one on Amazon for around $50 and supposedly fits my vibe. My car doesn't have cruise control, so I think it would be a nice add-on. Anyone have any experience with these?

I think that's all I have for now, but more questions will probably come up in the future. Thank you guys for all the help previous, and I look forward to what everyone has to say!
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!
Baltovibe

Re: Lots of questions about 2005 Vibe

Post by Baltovibe »

I'm no expert on your questions, so tried to look up threads related to them.
GaryG92 wrote: First questions: How do I open my rear glass? It looks like it has a handle on the wiper area, and 2 shocks attached to the glass and upper plastic housing, but no matter what I try I can't open it. My friend said there should be a button to the left of the steering wheel, but all I have is the coin holder and what looks like a red light. I also read in the user manual that if you turn the key a certain way in the rear key hole, it'll unlock the glass, but I've had no luck with that.
My rear glass sticks to the gasket if I don't open it often, and requires more force to free it. Perhaps when you turn the key, try pulling the glass hatch a little more?
Second: My check engine light came on yesterday. Car seems to be operating as normal. I had the code checked and it's a p0741. Could this be due to the recalled PCM? I called a local GM dealer and set up an appointment for Monday. If my PCM is good, what should I do next to remedy this CEL? I located my PCM and the number on it is "89661-02k41" Is that one included in the recalls?
viewtopic.php?t=41038
Third: I bought this car with 131xxx miles on it, now it's close to 133k. I doubt the tranny fluid has ever been changed, as it looks extremely dark. I've heard so many varying statements/opinions on whether or not the fluid should be changed this late, and if it is to be changed, how to change it. Could anyone recommend the safest (even if it is more costly/tedious) thing to do, whether it be just a simple drain/refill, drain/refill process, or just leave it be?
Appears the best method is several drain and refills.

viewtopic.php?t=8222#p335884
Fourth: My coolant overflow tank is missing. I didn't realize until a week or so after purchase. The car doesn't seem to run hot, and the needle is always in the same place once it warms up (I can post a picture to compare it with others if needed. I just want to see if it runs hotter than others or not). So what's the best thing to do for a replacement? Find one from a scrapped vibe/(maybe matrix) or buy a "universal" one from a parts store. If I buy a universal, does anyone know which one will actually fit?
I would find an original replacement, just for the correct amount of fluid held, and no mounting problems.
Fifth: The plastic panel on the driver's side floorboard, to the left of where I put my left foot (where I imagine the clutch would be) is missing. Dealer said he has one on order and will send it to me once he gets it. But it looks like there's a few loose/torn wires there, and if anyone has any ideas on what they might be to, I'd love to hear it. All the plastic connectors seem to be in place and intact, so I have no idea what they'd go to, but if someone wants to help me out, I'll gladly post a pic of that too.
Appears someone dicked around with the wiring, and who knows what they did. Maybe an alarm system? I don't think that red light near the coin holder is factory.
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
trb

Post by trb »

Since yours is a 2005, it should be a drive by wire throttle if it is FWD. You can then usually just add the cruise control stalk to the steering wheel and that will activate the cruise control circuits on the computer, just like the old aftermarket cruise control. There are several threads on here where others have added it.

And regarding the overflow tank, it might still be in the Vibe at the pick a part by my house and I could grab it if you want. Looks like the price might be between $15 and $25 depending on the size. It also has the cruise switch I might be able to get which might be $12-17.

Pics:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44445

I'm planning to go there tomorrow afternoon, so LMK. 281-703-9262

And that red light, unless it has a factory security system, it is probably an aftermarket alarm.

And if it does not have the hatch glass release button on the dash, I might be able to get that part too. Pull off the dash cover with the vent and see if it has the wires for the hatch release in the dash.

The hatch plug is the white one in the middle left of the pic:

And yes, the glass should release if you turn the key in the hatch to the right. Left unlocks the whole hatch. Since it does not have the button in the dash, it might not work at the lock either if it is an electric latch since the circuit is not complete.
Last edited by trb on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

GaryG92 wrote:Fifth: The plastic panel on the driver's side floorboard, to the left of where I put my left foot (where I imagine the clutch would be) is missing. Dealer said he has one on order and will send it to me once he gets it. But it looks like there's a few loose/torn wires there, and if anyone has any ideas on what they might be to, I'd love to hear it. All the plastic connectors seem to be in place and intact, so I have no idea what they'd go to, but if someone wants to help me out, I'll gladly post a pic of that too.
The PO foolishly kicked the kick panel off and then also kicked the harnesses or something. I have seen this before in a Ford. The best thing to do is lie down there and inspect every wire one by one and wrap them with tape. You may have to splice some, solder them back together, and shrink wrap them. I don't recommend (removed)-splicing because those connectors honestly aren't very good, you're better off doing it right!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

Ok, so after the replies here I've checked a few things out.

With my dads help, we opened the rear lift glass. It was just stuck real good from not being opened in God knows how long.

I opened the vent cover to the left of the steering wheel and found a few things out. This red light that I had appears to be an after market security system, and at some point it was cut. So I'm not too worried about it.

The cut wires around the floor area seem to be leading into the door. They don't really look like other wires in the car. The outside is somewhat transparent, compared to the other wires all being a solid color.

Here's a pic of the stuff to the left of my steering wheel

Here's after I pulled the cover off, and there's an extra connector (I'm guessing for the lift glass release)

Is there a purpose for that 3rd slot? Below the 2 max AC buttons.

And here is that red light I had to the left of the steering wheel after I popped it out

trb wrote:Since yours is a 2005, it should be a drive by wire throttle if it is FWD. You can then usually just add the cruise control stalk to the steering wheel and that will activate the cruise control circuits on the computer, just like the old aftermarket cruise control. There are several threads on here where others have added it.

And regarding the overflow tank, it might still be in the Vibe at the pick a part by my house and I could grab it if you want. Looks like the price might be between $15 and $25 depending on the size. It also has the cruise switch I might be able to get which might be $12-17.

Pics:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44445

I'm planning to go there tomorrow afternoon, so LMK. 281-703-9262

And that red light, unless it has a factory security system, it is probably an aftermarket alarm.

And if it does not have the hatch glass release button on the dash, I might be able to get that part too. Pull off the dash cover with the vent and see if it has the wires for the hatch release in the dash.

The hatch plug is the white one in the middle left of the pic:

And yes, the glass should release if you turn the key in the hatch to the right. Left unlocks the whole hatch. Since it does not have the button in the dash, it might not work at the lock either if it is an electric latch since the circuit is not complete.
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Sorry to hear you're having issues with your "new" Vibe, but you have definitely come to the right place to get them resolved. Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance. We love pictures around here :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! Sorry to hear you're having issues with your "new" Vibe, but you have definitely come to the right place to get them resolved. Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance. We love pictures around here :D!
Thank you for the welcome! Most of this isn't very problematic, except for the CEL, which I'm hoping will be fixed Monday once I take it to the GM dealership for them to inspect the PCM. Wish me luck!
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
trb

Post by trb »

LOL! at the "security light". I might be tempted to just attach it to a 12v power source if it does not draw too much current to make people think it has an alarm like mine.

As for the extra wires, they sound like maybe speaker wires or something, that could have been used for better speakers or even as part of the alarm. Might be worth it to pull the door panel (3 screws, one under a cover at the door handle and two in the door pull cup, and pull the panel off, bottom to top) to see what it goes to, if anything.

Sorry I couldn't get most of those parts for you today, but at least I did get the cruise switch. I'll test it tomorrow and mail it to you this week. I will keep my eyes open for more parts for you. I'll let you know if I find anything. I wonder if the Corolla overflow is similar enough to use? They had a couple of them at the Pick a Part, but It was just too hot today. If I have a chance, I'll check on it too.

I looked at my son's 06, and he has the same large yellowish connector behind the vent that is not connected to anything. The rear glass button is attached to a bright white connector with blue/white and beige/black wires. Maybe the larger connector is for the later model OEM security system.

Oh, also, the Vibe did still have the rear view mirror, so if you don't get one soon, I'll try to grab it for you. Looks to be about $10 for it.

I'll send you a text if I find anything you need.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Did anyone confirm or deny what the second larger plug is for. The one with the violet/white and beige/black wires? Against my better judgment I touched them together, and nothing happened. So not really sure where they go, or what they are for. Still new to the Vibe, so I have no knowledge of wiring until I get a manual with diagrams. Thanks.