How much have you hauled with your vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
striker1211

How much have you hauled with your vibe?

Post by striker1211 »

So I was helping a friend clear out an industrial storage unit because he knew I had a truck and I decided it would be cheaper in gas to use the vibe and it had more cu. ft of storage than the bed of my truck. He was 60 miles away so gas was a issue. Well, after loading it up inside and the trailer up the trailer chain was dragging on the road! Luckily the scrap yard was only 1 mile away. This load was about 1200 pounds of scrap. How much can these things handle? I unloaded it and the springs shot the rear end right back up. Just curious if anyone has a picture of them towing their yacht with a vibe haha.

My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
ColonelPanic

Re: How much have you hauled with your vibe?

Post by ColonelPanic »

You can see all kinds of VIbe cargo carrying experiments here:

The Vibe can haul
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I've gotten all sorts of things inside of it. I was impressed that you can fit a 6' ladder into it and still close the hatch. In fact I once moved a 6x2x2 water heater in it and closed the hatch. Who needs a truck? :D

runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I don't know what it weighed in the end, but I towed a relatively full Uhaul 5'x8' trailer 1100 miles.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

runningslow wrote: I don't know what it weighed in the end, but I towed a relatively full Uhaul 5'x8' trailer 1100 miles.
How'd you get them to let you take that trailer? Did you rent it with another car?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
trb

Post by trb »

lannvouivre wrote:
runningslow wrote: I don't know what it weighed in the end, but I towed a relatively full Uhaul 5'x8' trailer 1100 miles.
How'd you get them to let you take that trailer? Did you rent it with another car?
I got the same trailer with my 2010 GT no problem. Their website said it was OK and we could haul up to 1,800 lbs of stuff in the trailer with a class 3, 1,100 with a class 2.

About the only thing they won't let you tow with is an Explorer or open roof Jeep. A Mountaineer is OK though, since it is NOT an Explorer. :roll:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

trb wrote:
lannvouivre wrote:
I got the same trailer with my 2010 GT no problem. Their website said it was OK and we could haul up to 1,800 lbs of stuff in the trailer with a class 3, 1,100 with a class 2.

About the only thing they won't let you tow with is an Explorer or open roof Jeep. A Mountaineer is OK though, since it is NOT an Explorer. :roll:
What he said. They'll let you rent it no problem, but have to downgrade the capacity to weakest link in the tow package and in this case was the ball or draw bar.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
MikeReilly

Post by MikeReilly »

We have a nice light aluminum frame utility trailer, but we've put a fair bit of stuff in it. Building materials, a half cord of wood, two dirt bikes, appliances, a miniature horse, you name it, we've hauled it. Not that we haul a trailer often, but we use it for what it's made for.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I've hauled a few things in and behind mine.

'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

I've been hauling my popup for two years now:

Dry weight of the trailer is 1400 lbs and it's GVWR is 1800.

I'm definitely asking for trouble but after extensive research on European and Australian standards for towing, I came to the conclusion that the vibe can take it given the trailer is equipped with brakes. I got a good brake controller (Tekonsha,) a transmission cooler (see make in my sig) and I had a custom receiver installed so I could use a weight distribution system.

The rear suspension still sag a bit and I've research option for the read suspension but none exist except for Coil SumoSping that I hope to order soon.

That being said, do not attempt this. I'm doing this knowing the risks.

cyth
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

zbyers wrote:I've hauled a few things in and behind mine.
Just curious how long is your trailer? Looks like maybe a 10 footer.

On a side note, lately I've been hauling all sorts of scrap on my trailer. Most recently a piano lol.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

gtv237 wrote:Just curious how long is your trailer? Looks like maybe a 10 footer.

On a side note, lately I've been hauling all sorts of scrap on my trailer. Most recently a piano lol.
That trailer is my uncle's. I believe it is 5x8. We've hauled two different sheds that I believe are 10x0 and not toooo much hung off lol. But, those were pulled behind my dad's Equinox. I wouldn't given Robyn that stress!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe