How many of you guys have second vehicles? At what point would you get another?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MrManager

How many of you guys have second vehicles? At what point would you get another?

Post by MrManager »

I've had 2 vehicles at one time before. With my vibe now I can easily throw my bike in among many other things. Though I just bought a house that i'll be living in and also renting out.

At what point would you draw the line and simply get a second vehicle? I loaded a futon in it the other day, no problem. But I have a bunch of branches and brush that I need to get rid of, Something I'm not so quick to throw into the car. It's still a nice vehicle so I don't want to beat it up. I'm just thinking of other things that i'll need and wondering if i should get a $1000-2000 dollar beater pick up to do the dirty work.
2009 Vibe GT
vibrologist

Re: How many of you guys have second vehicles? At what point would you get another?

Post by vibrologist »

Consider a small trailer or hiring someone to carry of the yard waste. Another vehicle maybe a headache.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Mark

Re: How many of you guys have second vehicles? At what point would you get another?

Post by Mark »

It's a Vibe. Buy a tarp, throw all the yard waste on it, bundle it up and shove it in the hatch. Or tie it on the roof and go. Might require two trips depending on the amount, but it can be done without making a big mess.

That said, ever since I bought my first house in 1988 I've hardly ever not owned pickup, it's just really handy to have. But I've also been amazed at how much I can haul in the Vibe too.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I suspect the OP is single. A friend and his wife retired a few years ago. He mentioned to his wife that they could now probably get by with just one car. She said, "but what are you going to drive". They still have two cars. While we only drive a total of about 9,000 miles a year, We have a 2nd vehicle just for the convenience of going our separate ways when necessary, and also to loan to our youngest son when his car is in the shop. With the 2nd car discount the insurance is not too bad. The last used car I bought in 1985. It was so bad I got rid of it a year later. In 1976 I bought a used 1971 Lincoln Continental with only 30,000 miles on it for $1,800. How bad could it be? I got rid of it in 1977 it was so bad. I'd rather buy new and not have the inconvenience and expense of repairs. In the early days I financed with a home equity loan. In the past 20 or so years I have been able to pay cash. Anything $2,000 or less is a gamble for sure.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Jake , they call the 70's the "malaise years" for a reason. Cars and trucks have become so much better since.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
striker1211

Post by striker1211 »

Haha I just posted this thread, relevant photo inside (don't know if posting photo again will trigger a filter or something):

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44481

I bought a $200 trailer at a yard sale that has saved me $200 in gas over my pickup. Mostly awesome craigslist deals that would have been too expensive to drive to with truck. Free desk+chair, $50 DNR-grade picnic table, kayaks, etc. That said, I bought a $2000 (out the door) 1997 F-150 and would buy it again in MY situation. We own a house so every now and then it comes in handy. We have saved about $100 in soil/rock delivery fees this year alone, adjusted for gas even. I also use it to tow my 18 foot fiberglass boat so that also a main justification. I did the numbers and with the additional license and insurance (I only insure it during 8 months of summer/fall) it comes out to $340 a year to own legally. You could do cheaper if you clicked/called your insurance company only when you used it. Progressive has let me add insurance to the truck for a DAY even. I've put on front brakes and serp belt in 2 years so that was $300 total I paid to have done. If you do not have anything you need to tow, and can plan ahead, it is cheaper to get a uhaul rental truck for the few times you do need it. $19.99 + $1/mile. You could rent the truck 5 times a year and go 40 miles each time before you would meet the registration/insurance, plus I bet a new uhaul pickup will be more fuel efficient than anything you get for 2k. On the bright side of this I could wreck the truck and still get $300 in scrap for it, so that is a consideration. Anyways, I've hoped I've helped somewhat with all this rambling.
My Vehicle: 2008 Vibe Moon & Tunes 1.8L ATX
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

i have had my truck long before i bought the vibe, but when diesel went to $4+ a gal i couldn't rustify it as a daily driver. so started looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle...

i love my truck though. they don't make them like this one any more. the 7.3 is one of best diesel engines made. and with 5 speed manual trans makes this drivetrain pretty bullet proof. the body is still clean and straight, and with only 109,000 miles i will never find another like it.

so i will prolly always be a multi vehicle owner...